Level-Template

Got a cool idea that should be in R'n'D? Let's hear it!

Moderators: Flumminator, Zomis

Flumminator

Level-Template

Post by Flumminator »

Hi,

currently the level-tamplate can only be used for CE-settings. It would however be nice to have a whole level as template instead of the 64x32 one, filled with sand and 100 secs of time.

I wished that feature long ago, when making the tutorial-series in which all levels are 15x15 and i had to set it for each single one by hand :(

(well that's a lie. i created a template myself and copied it by hand to the new levelname...)

Nethertheless using the level-template for other things than CEs would be nice, too.

The next step would of course be to have several templates and coose one of them when creating new levels, but maybe this would lead us a bit too far away now...
richard

Post by richard »

Well, you are right ! That is really needed ! Every of my levels have never 64 x 32 size, and never an exit at the bottom right (I mean at position 63, 31).

I also have to clear the playfield, than take the info and set time to 0, score per 10 sec to 0, playfield on x, y and etc...

The 15 x 15 size as standart with empty space as background sounds good.

Yeah, a template is needed. Oh...... oh..... there is a small problem by templates:

If you set a template, and let it activated, it automatically actuallizes the template, right ? But what is, if you save after that the template of an empty level ? All CEs will get lost ! So I ALWAYS have to click on "use template", and than on something that it asks "change template" ? Than I click on "yes", and it deactivates the template, but leave behind the CE setting.
The idea: Button to insert template settings without auto-actuallizing.

Oh, and the template Flummi had, with the same thing. :D
Zomis

Post by Zomis »

I wouldn't be suprised if Flummi's idea already is halfway implemented, since the template levels actually contain a header with the general info (HEAD chunk), and a level field (BODY chunk), this is saved from the level where you click "Save as template" for a CE. However, this information is never loaded into the game when creating a new level or such...
My guess is that Holger planned it that way, but somehow hasn't completed it. My other guess is that Holger will plan it that way from now ;)
Holger
Site Admin

Post by Holger »

That's a very good idea. The main difference to the existing system is the following: Currently, the "template" isn't really a template, but just a level which contains all the CE settings and is always used together with the real level (to define all the CE settings). Flummi's suggestion would be a "real" template which you can load and then change (so you wouldn't have a template used after the first change, a bit like what happens if you try to change CE settings when using the current CE template).

A solution would be "[x] use template" for the current "CE only" system, and an additional "[load template]" button to initially load the whole template level. I think I'll implement it somehow this way.