Elements move together

Got a cool idea that should be in R'n'D? Let's hear it!

Moderators: Flumminator, Zomis

Grunt002

Elements move together

Post by Grunt002 »

I think this idea has been mentioned, like a CE falls mean while the CE
under it has the same speed is falling, not like CE falls after the CE under
it falls.

Tell me if you donm't understand what I mean,
but I NEED IT!
YOU LIKE MY SIGNATURE DON'T YOU?
richard

Post by richard »

Perfect idea ! I could imagine it would be possible somehow...

Also I could imagine, that there could be specific forms of elements. Like a box 3x3 with a 1x1 hole in it...
Alan

Post by Alan »

>but I NEED IT!

We all do.... but I don't think it will happen.

It's one of the reasons Boulderdash doesn't work 100%. In BD you can have a line of fireflys with out any spaces in between, and they all move in formation. In R&D they spilt up and wander off..

But it can be done with CEs. I have made a 2x2 CE that bounces and rotates around corners perfectly.... unfortunately it takes 44 CEs and a hell of a lot of graphics! :shock: Also you need special wall marker CEs, to make it change direction... but these can be disguised easily.

And yes, it will be in the new game :)
Grunt002

Post by Grunt002 »

Alan wrote: And yes, it will be in the new game :)

What new game?
richard

Post by richard »

New game ? Probably that´s a secret, isn´t it ? :D

And 44 CEs ?! Only for a 2x2 cube ? Wow... I think I can imagine a way to make it... well, also moving it a bit. X-)
Yoshi348

Post by Yoshi348 »

Right now that's needed for Emerald Mine... the bombs clearly are supposed to fall smoothly. Big stack of bomb levels tend to break, and that includes one of the original levels (in the 2 player section)! I'm thinking that since 99% compatable engines are a ways off, bugs that break the original level sets should be fixed now.
Zomis

Post by Zomis »

Alan wrote:But it can be done with CEs. I have made a 2x2 CE that bounces and rotates around corners perfectly.... unfortunately it takes 44 CEs and a hell of a lot of graphics! :shock: Also you need special wall marker CEs, to make it change direction... but these can be disguised easily.
I've started making such a cube...never got it to work perfectly though, but I really would like to see your construction of it (when I have time...), I bet you can upload it meanwhile I find the time to check it :)
Honestly didn't thought it'd need 44 CEs to make such a cube...then think what a 3x3 cube would need...or even worse, a 3x3x3 Rubik's Cube ;)
Alan

Post by Alan »

Honestly didn't thought it'd need 44 CEs to make such a cube
Actually it's 2x3 , but you dont see 2 CEs.

44 CEs because the big CE moves smoothly in four directions, and has 16 frames of animation for each direction.

It was horrible to do, and I don't advise it..... You have to shift the large 64x64 graphic a single pixel in each animation frame..., then chop it up into 6 CEs... :? I made so many errors, it's amazing it got finished :wink:

Still, it has full collision detection and can move around corners. Also you can have it "slide" out of a wall, and dissapear in the same way.

I'll mail you level if you like...
What new game?
I'm always working on something R&D related.....
Zomis

Post by Zomis »

Alan wrote:I'll mail you level if you like...
Yes, thanks. I'd love to see it.
I guess you have my e-mail already ;)
richard

Post by richard »

Well Alan, can you mail it me too ? That sounds really good you are telling ! :D
Alan

Post by Alan »

This is an automatically generated Delivery Status Notification.

Delivery to the following recipients failed.

zomis2k@hotmail.com
oops.... what goes on here?
Zomis

Post by Zomis »

Alan wrote:
This is an automatically generated Delivery Status Notification.

Delivery to the following recipients failed.

zomis2k@hotmail.com
oops.... what goes on here?
Dunno...try again. Or try sending to zomis@minken.org
Don't you get any other error message than that?
Grunt002

Post by Grunt002 »

Can you PM me the level and upload the level on -Yousendit.com?
Holger
Site Admin

Post by Holger »

> Right now that's needed for Emerald Mine... the bombs clearly are supposed to fall smoothly.

Not sure if I understand you right here, but "smoothly" cannot mean that a whole (vertical) row of stacked bombs can fall at the same time -- they always fall one after the other, starting with the one at the bottom of the row.

> Big stack of bomb levels tend to break, and that includes one of the original levels (in the 2
> player section)!

Yes, I know. The main problem is not the order (or type) of *falling*, but the kind of *exploding* of the fallen bombs, I think. And you're right that the current behaviour breaks that level.

> I'm thinking that since 99% compatable engines are a ways off, bugs that break the original
> level sets should be fixed now.

Yes, right. But even very small differences can (and in most cases do) break levels, so the original R'n'D engine will (and can) never be 100% compatible to BD, EM and SP at the same time. That's why adding the original engines to R'n'D (which are then used by the original levels instead of the R'n'D engine) can solve this problem, and it's more or less the only "perfect" way I see for solving that problem.