Some later requests

Got a cool idea that should be in R'n'D? Let's hear it!

Moderators: Flumminator, Zomis

Larry Stein

Some later requests

Post by Larry Stein »

I wish to have these following things happen in RnD.

Is it possible to make a real 3x3 explosion?
I mean, if I can make a big explosion picture for the explosion corners and the center one. Also for 3+3 explosion.

Like this: <O>

< means the left graphics, O means the center graphics, > means the right graphics.

Also I want the player die without producing emeralds.

I want the game be able to create completely empty spaces in the CE so everything can fall from this CE.

I also want the score display will only show [ 0] instead of [00000].
Also for ammunition, time and needed gems. Do not show the first several zeros when that digit is zero.

And the high score table will be like this:

01. NAME ................ 1440

And if it is possible to create a larger level like 192x192, and each level can contain more than 1 maps. Also, make the level display like 1-1, 1-2 and so on, to make an complete episode.

Is there an reference tile for carrying items, needed gems, ammunitions and scores? I need to make a crossover function (do not save high score unless the player is killed or the whole episode is over.) Also, the player can go back to the previous area (Things happened in the previous areas will be saved).

Several maps for 1 level will be able to do this, and Several levels in 1 episode can still do to save score and items.

Maybe I can make a tower level set or something if I can.
I can make another chapter for Zelda using this function, discovering treasures in an 50-floored tower.

I need a way to change the GUI displays so that I can show things like this in my WIP Zelda modification:

HP [ 130]
MP [ 148]

I mean, move the numbers to the right and put the name on the left.

I got some newer ideas for Alan's Zelda level. If there will be crossover abilities, I'll extract the pictures into CEs and make other functions.

I want to have about 600 CE spaces and 8 mail envelopes.

Is there a mapchange reference tile in the game? Or make CEs to be mapchange reference tiles.

Maybe this can not be done at this moment.
Daniel H.

Post by Daniel H. »

Larry, quite a few of the things you are asking for are already in Alan's Zelda for R'n'D.

You can make a CE produce a real 3x3, 3+3, or 1x1 explosion by using "Explode instead of change" on one of the change pages. The size of the explosion depends on the explosion settings in Config 2.

To make the player die without releasing emeralds (as in Zelda), select Player 1 and go to element properties. Then check the box in Config that says "Use explosion from element"; then put Empty Space as the "element."

A CE cannot serve as an empty space; however, you can make another CE move through a CE by setting the moving CE in Config 2 to "can dig" the CE to dig or a group element containing such CEs; and set the next box to "can change it to" with the element being set to the CE token for "Element triggering change."

If that was too complicated, I or somebody else could try to explain it better. That approach isn't perfect; it has advantages and disadvantages.

I don't know of any way to remove leading zeroes from the score display or anywhere else.

Larger levels are not possible for reasons discussed elsewhere; however note that Alan's Zelda does not use a very large map. It's only 80×31 while the maximum size is 128×128! Multiple maps are not natively supported. Zomis and Tomi have been working on advanced CE engines that allow for multiple small maps (see The World Making Challenge).

There is no reference tile for anything in Rocks'n'Diamonds except for the CE tokens which refer to real tiles. However, using CE values, you can get and set the current score, the number of gems needed to collect, and the time left. All of those are used in Zelda. There's no way to refer to objects currently carried, but this could easily be implemented by making a CE keep track of when the player collects items.

Ammunitions are just special carried items; remember that R'n'D has zero native support for shooting. It's done with CEs.

To keep the score from appearing in the high score list, you can just kill the player. The score doesn't appear in the high score list then. If you don't want to do this, then set the level time and the score to zero and immediately end the level.

As for changing the GUI displays, what you are saying may be possible in the latest pre-release which includes some game panel customizations, but I am not sure.

There is absolutely no way to get more mail envelopes in the game at this time; however, you could do what Alan did in Zelda with messages like envelopes being displayed in a special area to which the player is teleported.

There is no "mapchange reference tile." This sort of behavior could be at least partially implemented through advanced CE engine techniques.
The H. World levelset can be downloaded from http://www.bd-fans.com/RnD.html -- search The H. World on that page.
Tomi

Post by Tomi »

> To keep the score from appearing in the high score list, you can just kill the
> player. The score doesn't appear in the high score list then. If you don't want to
> do this, then set the level time and the score to zero and immediately end the level.

I wouldn't recommend killing the player, because then the level doesn't count as solved (the tape isn't saved, and even if it is, autoplay mode used for checking broken tapes thinks it doesn't solve the level). In Zelda, Alan just removed all the fonts from the "SCORES" screen. (Search its graphicsinfo.conf for details.) (This of course doesn't work if you want to show some scores but not others.)

> I want to have about 600 CEs and 8 mail envelopes.

Trust me, we all do. (Or almost all.) Unfortunately, at the moment it's impossible. (Although maybe if I'll run out of CEs I'll make a special fork/patch.)
Francesco

Post by Francesco »

Larry wrote:Is it possible to make a real 3x3 explosion?
I mean, if I can make a big explosion picture for the explosion corners and the center one. Also for 3+3 explosion.
I have made a custom 3x3 explosion in the Super BD-Rock example set:
http://www.zomis.net/rnd/info.php?f=616
- I think it should be in level nr. 2 -

Although the above, by itself, does not solve Larry's question, it can be combined with custom graphics, using different CEs for each part of the explosion, just like I did for the "blue aura" in the RockFighter set, which can be found on the RnD archive.

Combining those two techniques you can make a realistic 3x3 explosion.
Anyway, by the way, have fun!
Francesco
Daniel H.

Post by Daniel H. »

The problem with custom explosions is that if you blow up a "wall with emerald" or a CE that uses that sort of technique, you don't get an emerald: you get empty space.
The H. World levelset can be downloaded from http://www.bd-fans.com/RnD.html -- search The H. World on that page.
Francesco

Post by Francesco »

Daniel wrote:The problem with custom explosions is that if you blow up a "wall with emerald" or a CE that uses that sort of technique, you don't get an emerald: you get empty space.
I know. In fact, I have discussed that issue in another thread, some time ago:
viewtopic.php?t=1302

...well, this can be some kind of reminder for Holger, assuming that he didn't already put this idea on his todo list.
Francesco
Holger
Site Admin

Post by Holger »

> I wish to have these following things happen in RnD.

;-)

There were already good comments how many of the features you requested do already work with the current feature set -- here's some more hints and answers:

> I also want the score display will only show [ 0] instead of [00000].

That's easy in the latest 3.2.4 prerelease -- just use this in your GIC ("graphicsinfo.conf"):

game.panel.score.digits: 0

This does not result in a score display truncated to zero digits, but uses exactly as many digits as needed to display the score value. (Use "game.panel.score.align" to define the alignment, being either "left", "center" or "right".)

> And the high score table will be like this:

(This does not work on the high score screen though.)

> I need a way to change the GUI displays so that I can show things like this
> in my WIP Zelda modification:
>
> HP [ 130]
> MP [ 148]
>
> I mean, move the numbers to the right and put the name on the left.

Should be easy with pre-3.2.4 -- just layout, add or remove all values you need! :-)

> I want to have about 600 CE spaces and 8 mail envelopes.

8 mail envelopes may come in a future release, as 4 may be a little bit too less.

More than 256 CEs may be added if somebody (a) proves that he/she really needs more than 256 CEs, and (b) asks me to really, seriously do that. Extending the number of CEs from 256 to 512 or 1024 (or maybe even 16384) is technically quite easy, but will make the game engine slower and the level editor harder to use. That's why I don't do that, mainly. (Another reason is that your creativity will be challenged by a limited number of game resources. ;-) Just have a look at Alan's great levels and tricky CE use and you know what I mean. :-) )

Same is true for the maximum number of CE change pages, btw.

> > I want to have about 600 CEs and 8 mail envelopes.
> Trust me, we all do. (Or almost all.)

Really true? I have only seen very few level sets that make full use of all 256 CEs, or do I miss anything?
Davacardo

Post by Davacardo »

Holger wrote: More than 256 CEs may be added if somebody (a) proves that he/she really needs more than 256 CEs, and (b) asks me to really, seriously do that. Extending the number of CEs from 256 to 512 or 1024 (or maybe even 16384) is technically quite easy, but will make the game engine slower and the level editor harder to use. That's why I don't do that, mainly. (Another reason is that your creativity will be challenged by a limited number of game resources. ;-) Just have a look at Alan's great levels and tricky CE use and you know what I mean. :-) )

Same is true for the maximum number of CE change pages, btw.

> > I want to have about 600 CEs and 8 mail envelopes.
> Trust me, we all do. (Or almost all.)

Really true? I have only seen very few level sets that make full use of all 256 CEs, or do I miss anything?
600 CEs seem to be going way overboard. I myself am trying to make all DC3 and Robouldix elements in CEs. I'm close to finishing and I've still got like 120 left.
Unless the editor window was expanded, 256 CEs already take up too much room.
And as Holger said, by the time you create graphics for them all, program them, test them...

But 8 mail envelopes would be nice.
Tomi

Post by Tomi »

> > Trust me, we all do. (Or almost all.)
> Really true? I have only seen very few level sets that make full use of all 256 CEs, or do I miss anything?

I'll clarify: I'd like >256 CEs very very very much. However, you're right that I probably wouldn't really use them (in most cases).
Also, "all" and "almost all" are probably both very overrated.
Daniel H.

Post by Daniel H. »

I agree that "all" and "almost all" are overrated.
Francesco

Post by Francesco »

For what regards the room taken by CEs on the elements' list, I think it could be managed with some "show more/less CEs" fake-elements (like the +/- that expands and collapses groups) - but of course it should be independent... it may also work in a 1/5/10 manner (or better, in a 3/6/9 manner).

About the total amount of CEs, I won't say.
How was my record there, Zomis? a couple of dozens? :P
Francesco
Alan

Post by Alan »

I'm not sure more CEs would be that useful and I certainly don't need RnDs to run any slower than it already is. Some more change pages would be nice though. ;-)
Larry Stein

In fact

Post by Larry Stein »

In fact, I found that Zelda has used up all 256 CEs. I cannot find anywhere empty to put other things.

Alan's BD2K3 has already coded all 256 CE contents. Some of them are empty, but they produces background effects like wind, music, sounds and so on.

As for my Zelda editing, I need about 100-200 more CEs and about 2-4 extra envelopes. I need to add loads of extra things on it (Some CEs are used for testing, or value reference).

I'm going to remake the weapons. However, is it possible to convert the previous ammo into current ammo like this way:

Make the previous CE change into the current CE.

Or do some tricks in the amount value:

Copy the amount of previous CE into a defined CE for reference, and set the ammo to zero and add the CE amount value into current CE.

For example, after defining a reference CE, and when you get another weapon, set the CE value to the amount of the previous weapon. Then set the ammo to zero, and add the CE value of the current weapon.

Are they possible?
Zomis

Post by Zomis »

Francesco wrote:About the total amount of CEs, I won't say.
How was my record there, Zomis? a couple of dozens? :P
There's only one (well, not only... but one very easy) way to find out:
RNDDB:SELECT setname,author,levelnumber,name,cecount,scr_changepages,md5sum FROM levels LEFT JOIN levelsets ON (levels.lvlset = levelsets.setid) WHERE author LIKE 'f%' ORDER BY cecount DESC wrote:

Code: Select all

setname                         author       levelnumber    name         cecount       scr_changepages      md5sum
   "Master-Rocks"                  Francesco                 1 level I                80                  129  a310c50b3afc197793f76e7c1ec53fa8
   "Master-Rocks"                  Francesco                 2 level ii               80                  129  78ad8ddb7be9a74f1fca62be973d81f6
   "Master-Rocks"                  Francesco                 3 level iii              80                  129  379af3e5548a9deb217e4af8341e1eed
   "Master-Rocks"                  Francesco                 4 level iv               80                  129  4d04567ab4dc627ce23f87436b821512
   "Master-Rocks"                  Francesco                 5 level v                80                  129  5278c8f9ceda579305620f13cf9aea77
   "Memory"                        Francesco                 1 memory 16 (CEs exposed)72                  100  3aabeb60569d00b42db981acad6e0d19
   "Memory"                        Francesco                 2 memory 16 (CEs exposed)72                  100  cadf9efbe87b61bc6575bec4b2f3c1bb
   "Mazer Prepare"                 Francesco                14 nameless level         60                  138  fa01e3222b2d4ff0fb1b5df5100e6ef1
   "Mazer Prepare"                 Francesco                15 nameless level         60                  138  581f5fc96267bcec24b102d078a7e3bc
   "Rockfighter"                   Francesco                10 all skills needed (exce56                  139  f90e448bffc205718fa37d6fcc2bf985
   "Rockfighter"                   Francesco                12 all skills needed (exce56                  139  0e087e0946b1ca4a1f7a6b024b91e1b3
   "Rockfighter"                   Francesco                 1 single shot            55                  113  3465b0e9278bb60bd7532937414f1492
   "Rockfighter"                   Francesco                 2 triple shot #1         55                  115  504e0f66a5aa6a89defca4384d90cbbc
   "Rockfighter"                   Francesco                 3 triple shot #2         55                  117  76ecf740da5292a601d925159114d6eb
   "Rockfighter"                   Francesco                 4 iron walls             55                  123  dcf896fc716b3a05f65b3d4876b23122
   "Rockfighter"                   Francesco                 5 flood filler           55                  123  1aa32e35dff41202b32bd207384bc6b8
   "Rockfighter"                   Francesco                 6 escaper                55                  124  b714bbce06ee9ccdc5f1abf08088d7f7
   "Rockfighter"                   Francesco                 7 last hope              55                  128  6d622e31fc1c1b2340f6293c91ccbebd
   "Rockfighter"                   Francesco                 9 all skills needed (exce55                  135  257bf32bd7720d7434f8f3554ee69728
   "Memory"                        Francesco                 3 memory 16              52                   64  3b3560ea07774bd182d8d610d1c4dde2
   "Memory"                        Francesco                 4 memory 16 (CEs exposed)52                   64  85274700349657ce641aad6a244dac3b
   "Magic CE-s"                    Francesco                 7 buggy fields           42                  138  c0a90d5448f3c0e58e74958926fc462c
   "Magic CE-s"                    Francesco                 8 buggy fields           42                  138  ead46f5e3b3030558c35e0a9842de6bf
   "Magic CE-s"                    Francesco                 2 buggy fields           41                  114  3dedd0f9ba6f9175830e8699e9b65ebf
   "Magic CE-s"                    Francesco                 5 buggy fields           41                  118  220eef88b1d39ffc147cca8d87db726e
I've only included the first 25 levels above though.
(Haven't worked on RNDDB for a long time btw, and also haven't included later levels in the database - but I think that not much levels has been released by you lately).
In fact, I found that Zelda has used up all 256 CEs. I cannot find anywhere empty to put other things.
Yes, Zelda is one of those few levels(ets) that actually used up all 256 CEs. I guess that in order to make Holger give us more CEs we need to make more of such levels ;) Or maybe if we change the game engine in a way to prevent it from running too slow depending on the number of CEs... :)
(...) Are they possible?
Sounds tricky. My idea is to have a CE in the game which has a CE score equal to the number of ammunition left on a weapon. Then it would be easier to manipulate. Because you can't change the items which you have picked up and will drop later on. But maybe another CE could be used as a temporary dropped CE and then it changes into the weapon you want to use and that weapon decreases a CE's score... well... it could work... somehow...
Francesco

Post by Francesco »

Oh well, there was no need to post such a dump... furthermore because those records are ridiculous... a simple "80" would have been enough (OK, I know, you wanted to publicize the RNDDB a bit, that's right... :arrow: )

Mmm, I could easily fit in a 128 CEs limit... I have plenty of room for graphic buzzness - which is out of reach for me, my best effort has been Trucky Cargos... a wonderful... how could I say? a wonderful bathroom feeling :?...

Well, if you have to deal with a full-used CE set like Zelda, there are some little problems, though. I haven't got the time to study the issues presented by Larry, I fear that my idea about the custom explosion is a bit too much "CE hungry"... maybe it was not intended to be used in Zelda?

Speaking of explosions, I hope that we'll have an "explosion" element, so our CEs can be aware of such an important event of the gameplay.

About the "history" feature, I mean passing information from level to level, we have a thread on it, starting from this post:
viewtopic.php?p=7918#7918
and going on here:
viewtopic.php?t=1128

Quite a good read.
Francesco