Counting elements + amoeba

Got a cool idea that should be in R'n'D? Let's hear it!

Moderators: Flumminator, Zomis

Davacardo

Counting elements + amoeba

Post by Davacardo »

1. Different amoeba? Have 2 different types of amoeba, with different settings. E.g. you could have 1 amoeba grow and one not or have then grow at different speeds. Or perhaps have them contain different elements.

2. An element counter? When clicked, it displays the total number of all emeralds, diamonds, pearls, crystals, BD diamonds, infotrons and nuts. Then it calculates the total value of all them.
Example:
3 emeralds = 3
2 diamonds = 6
4 crystals = 32
1 nut = 1
Total = 42

This could perhaps be expanded to include butterflys, bugs, moles and electrons and add all this up too, giving a realistic expectation of the number of emeralds a player should collect.
Of course, this isn't so useful if Yam Yams contain further items or through the use of custom or group elemts, but it could still be very useful in calculating everything beside.
At present, I work this out by setting the counter to something like 900 and collecting everything, so a counter would be useful.
Sorry if either have already been suggested, but I couldn't find anything.
m&m

Post by m&m »

1. Second amoeba will be added when the support for DC3 levelgroups will be added to R'N'D (I think).
2. Yes, it would be nice if R'N'D had this option.
Zomis

Post by Zomis »

Hello and Welcome to the forum, Davacardo!

About #2. It's possible to create a script using RND Scripter and then execute it on any level you'd like and count them all. I'll probably create such a script someday, when I continue working (more feedback will give me more motivation) on RND Scripter. (There's not much documentation on RND Scripter, but if you know the Pascal programming language then you might be able to create such a script yourself :D).

Until later, I guess the only option for you is to select a couple of different gem elements in the RnD editor, check their Element info and check the "amount placed on map".

Making a correct calculation of the number of gems possible to get would be extreamly difficult, because the amount of emeralds you get from a bug depends on which spot you kill it. But I'll see later what I can do. At least maybe a "min" and "max" value should be possible to calculate by using a to-be-created-script.
RTADash

Post by RTADash »

If I want the player to collect every last emerald, I'll set the counter to 999 and then play through the level and see how many are left on the counter. Then I do some "old-fashioned subtraction" :lol: to figure out how many I collected and, therefore, how many should be required.
Those who can't learn will teach; those who can't teach will learn.
Davacardo

Post by Davacardo »

RTADash wrote:If I want the player to collect every last emerald, I'll set the counter to 999 and then play through the level and see how many are left on the counter. Then I do some "old-fashioned subtraction" :lol: to figure out how many I collected and, therefore, how many should be required.
That's what I do at the moment. :)
And thank you Zomis, that was indeed my first post. I actually remembered after I posted it that there is a counter in the element properties, but there is still some tedious calculations involved. I will definitely check out the RND Scripter.
Alan

Post by Alan »

2. An element counter? When clicked, it displays the total number of all emeralds, diamonds, pearls, crystals, BD diamonds, infotrons and nuts. Then it calculates the total value of all them.
Example:
3 emeralds = 3
2 diamonds = 6
4 crystals = 32
1 nut = 1
Total = 42
Hi Davacardo, I put the same feature in VBS-BD's editor with an estimate much like your idea (draw a few nuts,butterflys and diamonds then press the count button). I even wrote them the same way you did above ;-) .It helps a little but you can't account for situations like a butterfly near a steel wall when it explodes, magic walls etc.

My amoeba is also a bit like your idea as it can turn into two different elements depending on if its maxed in size or trapped ;-)