+-token and values in the palette

Got a cool idea that should be in R'n'D? Let's hear it!

Moderators: Flumminator, Zomis

Alan

+-token and values in the palette

Post by Alan »

Not sure if this is a bug, maybe its something that's been overlooked though. The +# and -# tokens work in the change part of a CE, but not the condition....

IE:- CE2 changes to [-1] if touching [space], works OK.

But....CE2 changes to [space] if touching [-1], doesn't work.

Shouldn't this event fire if CE2 touches CE1? What happens is the collision only works if you place the actual token element [-1] in the level, which can't be right....can it? :?

Doesn't this defeat the object of having these handy tokens? In a real world example I have a special tile which is made of 3 CEs and they are only aware of themselfs. They have actions like:- Explode if change page of [-1], or Change to [-1] Explosion of [+1] etc. I would now copy CE1,2 and 3 to CE4,5 and 6 without any post copy maintenance....which is the whole point!

The second idea...

To make matters worse in my example, all of my tiles use the ce_value animation of a shared element. This means they all look the same in the editor but different in the game. Is there anyway of updating the palette so it shows the proper graphic of a CE plus it's value.....

IE:- CE1 and CE2 both use the graphic of the Steelwall, the Steelwall uses a ce_value animation.

The value of CE1 = 0 (a red square in the PCX) and the value of CE2 is 1 (a blue square in the PCX). In the game they are correct (red and blue), but in the editor they are both red. I notice that the large CE icon at the top left of it's change page updates correctly, but not in the editor palette.....how hard would this be to enable?
Francesco

Post by Francesco »

If I recall correctly, I have used the [-1] [+1] tokens as conditions in the MathSums levelset (dl from the RnD archive), and they worked properly... seems a new bug introduced in the latest releases of RnD - well, just my two cents, and I could also be wrong, posting by memory...

[edit]
Well, I was wrong, I used the normal "wall" numbers as conditions, so my post isn't all that fitting to the purpose... sorry.
[/edit]
Anyway, by the way, have fun!
Francesco
Alan

Post by Alan »

Ah right..... I wonder if they ever worked?
RTADash

Post by RTADash »

I don't even know what a CE token is. :( Maybe I haven't explored CE functions enough, yet...
Those who can't learn will teach; those who can't teach will learn.
Holger
Site Admin

Post by Holger »

I have to check this...
Holger
Site Admin

Post by Holger »

> Not sure if this is a bug, maybe its something that's been overlooked
> though. The +# and -# tokens work in the change part of a CE, but not the
> condition....

Perfectly right -- this is a big, fat bug! :-o

> IE:- CE2 changes to [-1] if touching [space], works OK.
> But....CE2 changes to [space] if touching [-1], doesn't work.

This was intended to also work that way -- apparently I never tested this! :-o

Fixed now!

About the other issue you mentioned:

> Is there anyway of updating the palette so it shows the proper graphic of
> a CE plus it's value.....

This should be possible somehow... Currently the palette graphics are only updated when the "use graphics of" setting is changed, but not when the CE score or CE value counter is changed. The reason is that the palette graphics always simply use the first animation frame as their graphics, which currently only works statically from the graphics configuration, but not dynamically (like the animated element graphic on the settings page header). It should be possible to fix this with reasonable effort. As a workaround, one can use the "custom_xxx.EDITOR" definition in the GIC for now. But if this feature is really needed (i.e., saves a lot of work), I can probably fix this.