Write into CEs and GEs

Got a cool idea that should be in R'n'D? Let's hear it!

Moderators: Flumminator, Zomis

richard

Write into CEs and GEs

Post by richard »

You know that one write thing in the editor, where you can write text into the playfield (the "T"). That should also be in the CE contents and GE contents. Especially in the GE contents, if you want to make text on the playfield with some CEs.

--- OR ---

MEs. ME means "Message Elements". They should work so: If placed somehow on the playfield, they should open a text message, like by the envelope. Also they change in 0 frames (I mean immediately, without that the user can see that object) to another object. And if you make an envelope loop, so that more MEs gets opened after each other, the loop should be stoppeble, if you click more times ESC.

2 possibilities, but very good for a campaign levelset I thought of... So I would need up to maximal 16 text messages (upcoming by changes, and not by collecting).

Ämm... Holger, where are you ??! X-)
Darkon

Post by Darkon »

i had that idea quite a while ago (the message elements one), holger didnt seem too fond of it though, but maybe you can pusuade him ;-)
richard

Post by richard »

*trying to persuade Holger to implent that, ommm...*

Let´s hope that works. X-)
Zomis

Post by Zomis »

I like that first idea, but "MEs" seems to me a bit overwhelming.
If Holger won't fix that fírst part for CEs/GEs, then I'll fix it for RNDT in the future...
Darkon

Post by Darkon »

with messages on CE's though, you could make things like sign posts which you read when you touch them, or a little RPG'ish r&d level where you need to talk to people

or so it displays a message when you touch a switch, so the player has more of an idea of what the switch did (ce switch that is)

it could be added below all the change events (display message)

so when an npc changes, or explodes when you touch it e.t.c. it displays the message you want

it would also mean you could have as many envelopes as you want on a level
richard

Post by richard »

Yeah, anyways, what is needed, are dialogs. The way how they can arrive should be configutable. Like by changes: "display text on change". A new page could be added. Hmm...
Zomis

Post by Zomis »

richard wrote:Yeah, anyways, what is needed, are dialogs. The way how they can arrive should be configutable. Like by changes: "display text on change". A new page could be added. Hmm...
Now I think this is going a little bit too far, it's getting practically overwhelming...in RND, it's just not only about adding new pages here and there...think about the down-sides too, eh?
richard

Post by richard »

Holger ? What do you mean ? MEs or envelopes in CEs... or nothing :) ?

And Simon... I don´t think the down side is that bad... see the good side of it !!
Holger
Site Admin

Post by Holger »

I think normal envelopes should be enough for now...

Not that it's not an interesting feature, but I think there are A LOT of more important features for now that should be implemented, and I have only limited time, so I will concentrate on the more important ones.