Levels that are solved using F1/F2 save/load...

Got a cool idea that should be in R'n'D? Let's hear it!

Moderators: Flumminator, Zomis

Gavin

Levels that are solved using F1/F2 save/load...

Post by Gavin »

Many tricky levels can be easily solved by doing this.

My idea is to have RnD recognise when a level is completed if the user completed it all the way through or used save and load. And if the user saved and loaded it then the tape would still be saved but on the main screen it would be 'marked' in some way (perhaps with a big block of cheese next to it?), just to remind the user that they 'cheated' and maybe make them feel guilty and replay the level to have a tape without a piece of cheese next to it.

Just a thought.
Holger
Site Admin

Post by Holger »

This is in fact a very good idea! Using "cheating" functions like F1/F2 or (especially) using single step mode for solving a level should definitely be stored in the tape file somehow. It could also be used to modify the score that was reached and that is displayed in the "hall of fame", for example, by subtracting 10% for each save/load.

This is also an important thing to think of when I will add a high score server for world wide high scores one day. For this, we need some tracking if the player used any special features that can be seen as "cheating", or if he/she played the whole level without any cheating.
Tomi

Post by Tomi »

> by subtracting 10% for each save/load.

But only after solving the level. Modifying the score every time the game is loaded could mess up CE programming that uses the score variable to store something. (I think it was used in Zelda to store the room number, for example.)
bojster

Post by bojster »

If you're going to do that, I'd suggest only focusing on F2 (load). What if I save (F1) and then complete the level in one run anyway? You might as well punish for pausing then. ;-)
RTADash

Post by RTADash »

I don't know how much I personally like this idea (well, marking them is fine, but I don't think there should be any punishments)

I feel no shame when using the save/load keys. The frustration of having to replay 4-10 min. (or whatever) due to a minor mistake at the end (or wherever) simply isn't worth the time or effort, to me at least. And, it's not any better on levels that tend to rely on luck.

But, I don't really care about points, anyway so it won't matter much to me.
Those who can't learn will teach; those who can't teach will learn.