split screen

Got a cool idea that should be in R'n'D? Let's hear it!

Moderators: Flumminator, Zomis

Venatir

split screen

Post by Venatir »

SPLIT SCREEEN!
Zomis

Post by Zomis »

This is an old bug, and I'm afraid that it won't be real for a long time. Until later, use the keys F5-F9 to switch player view. But for many players at the same time on different screens, you'll have to wait - or make some code for it yourself ;)
Daniel H.

Post by Daniel H. »

I don't think that this is a bug; I think that it is just a feature that has not been implemented yet. :?
The H. World levelset can be downloaded from http://www.bd-fans.com/RnD.html -- search The H. World on that page.
RAP

Post by RAP »

I think I suggested that idea before... (I think...) :)
Zomis

Post by Zomis »

Daniel H. wrote:I don't think that this is a bug; I think that it is just a feature that has not been implemented yet. :?
Oh, of course I meant "idea". Sorry about that :oops:
Holger
Site Admin

Post by Holger »

Yes, multi-player with split screen would be a real cool feature! :-)

Not sure how much work it would be to add this, though...

But it would definitely be cool! :)
Alan

Post by Alan »

Wouldn't the players still be in the same area like they are now? Do the players have to be stuck in the same screen or has it changed since I made Netwars? (This is why it failed)
Not sure how much work it would be to add this, though...
Well, utilising the full 800x600 screen would be a good place to start :-) ;-)
Half of the current screen would be way too small.

Dunno how hard it would be though, isn't just a case of adding another viewport? (it's that easy in Blitz3D BTW), but everything would be twice as slow? A Quadruple split would be impossible I think (like GoldenEye, Halo etc) unless the resolution was much higher.

I say all this now because it could be used for single player games too (If you could change the viewport sizes in the GIC). If the top screen was only 2 elements high and the bottom was 20, you could use it to debug off-screen CEs, or cool custom dashboards etc.