Chip's Challenge in RnD?

Got a cool idea that should be in R'n'D? Let's hear it!

Moderators: Flumminator, Zomis

Animal

Chip's Challenge in RnD?

Post by Animal »

Anyone here played Chip's Challenge? I played it on Windows, and it was one of the best puzzle game I played. Could it be ported to RnD the way it is done now? The Ice and the shoes would be a difficult to this, I think, and the keys having a limited use to them (a key dissapears when used) would put a difficult to this too.

The grid you see in the screen would be lowered to 9 X 9 (original) or 10 X 10 (instead of RnD's 17 X 17), because one of the challenges of this game is guessing what will come next, in which you will already know by watching the entire map at once in RnD.
Last edited by Animal on Tue Jul 13, 2004 7:24 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Animal

Post by Animal »

Oh, I forgot. Here's a link to the program:

http://w1.491.telia.com/~u49105060/download_spel.html

It's really good, and free. Try it.
Yoshi348

Post by Yoshi348 »

I'm thinking the force fields (that move you around) would make it impossible for now... player manipulation commands aren't that good in RnD. It's key that the force fields move you around fairly quickly, BUT you can jump off the side as well.
bojster

Post by bojster »

I played Chip's Challenge last millennium ;-) and I remember it was very nice. Zomis is working on porting it to RnD (if I'm not wrong), but it's indeed very hard to emulate in current stage of development...
Animal

Post by Animal »

Yes, I just played Level 22 (Password:WZIN) and I think RnD wouldn't handle that. This game is more action-oriented, I guess.
richard

Post by richard »

player manipulation commands
You mean auto-moving ? Auto-moving is that what RnD needs ! Real auto-moving of course, not jump-automoving (that what now exists).

Anyways, chips is good... but not very...
RAP

Post by RAP »

And lets don't forgret in DOS version!

Here: http://www.the-underdogs.info/game.php?id=1346

In DOS version:

more music then the windows version
more sounds
and more... :)

Edit: I'vd changed the link because of the website changes...
Last edited by RAP on Fri Jun 16, 2006 6:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Animal

Post by Animal »

I just got it, Ryan. That pesky Blobnet stage (23) is MUCH easier than in windows version. Good.
bojster

Post by bojster »

Who would bother about some stinky versions while Amiga version rules? :P
richard

Post by richard »

Ryan ? You write everything in small... And Not So. Well done, Ryan ! X-)
bojster

Post by bojster »

Maybe he graduated :twisted:
bojster

Post by bojster »

Man, I downloaded the windows version and it's soooooo ugly! Fortunately I found Tile World which is Chip's Challenge emulator allowind to play the original levels. Now it's something you can actually play ;-) And guess what, the source code is included (of course), so now it should be a lot easier to port CC levels to RnD!
Galaxy

Post by Galaxy »

bojster wrote:Who would bother about some stinky versions while Amiga version rules? :P
You took the words right out of my mounth :wink:
Animal

Post by Animal »

bojster wrote:Man, I downloaded the windows version and it's soooooo ugly! Fortunately I found Tile World which is Chip's Challenge emulator allowind to play the original levels. Now it's something you can actually play ;-) And guess what, the source code is included (of course), so now it should be a lot easier to port CC levels to RnD!
So, (sorry if this question sounds stupid) what are the chances of making Chip's Challenge a Classic Original Games like Boulder Dash, Supaplex and Sokoban? This could open some new features to make custom levels.

EDIT: The best feature in CC IMO is the Ice sliding. With the Skates (Ice shoes) put on, you could do some puzzles sliding Sokoban elements to the wall, like you see in some puzzles of The Legend of Zelda series.
Last edited by Animal on Tue Jul 13, 2004 7:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bojster

Post by bojster »

I think this question will have to wait until Holger coimes back and maybe takes a look on that source, but at least I think it's worth it.