Chip's Challenge in RnD?

Got a cool idea that should be in R'n'D? Let's hear it!

Moderators: Flumminator, Zomis

Animal

Post by Animal »

Look at this stage: password VDTM (Level 35)

Play the DOS Version (The Windows version isn't as nicely as the DOS Version). Now try to bump all those little fires. Look how nicely they walk in a near-perfect indian-line, without bumping in each other, no matter how much you push all those blocks to make they crash into the water. A real nice view.

In Windows version, ther move nicely too, but not too much, all you need is 1 or 2 blocks and you crash all those lines. In DOS Version you need much more.

If that source bojster mentioned is like the DOS Version, maybe it could be used also to help make Boulder Dash 100% compatible to RnD. One more reason to port Chip's Challenge to RnD as a Classic Original Game :wink: .
bojster

Post by bojster »

Tile World works in two modes: ms mode (windows) and lynx mode (Atari Lynx). The latter is very nice, since you and other objects move fluently, not 'skipping'. Amiga version had the same feature. So, it's the only reasonable mode for me.
Zomis

Post by Zomis »

bojster wrote:I played Chip's Challenge last millennium ;-) and I remember it was very nice. Zomis is working on porting it to RnD (if I'm not wrong), but it's indeed very hard to emulate in current stage of development...
Not totally correct, but close...
Zomis has been working on porting it to RND..
I've took a break from it, I need the change condition "change when CE is eating/digging <element>"
If I crack the file structure too (I have a Chips Level editor for the original format so I think it'd be possible...), then I might release all the levels some day.

The biggest problem for now is as I mentioned before, change when CE is eating/digging <element>, and also how to make moveable blocks and other stuff to slide on ice..
And one more thing...on chips, the player can move a bit (neither always nor all directions) while being on green auto-movers, that's impossible in RND so far.
The ice, fire and water parts is kinda done...very easy with CEs :)
bojster

Post by bojster »

Yup, "green auto-movers" are hell ;-)