Horizontal Scrollbar

Got a cool idea that should be in R'n'D? Let's hear it!

Moderators: Flumminator, Zomis

m&m

Horizontal Scrollbar

Post by m&m »

In my opinion when you choose levelgroup there should be a scrollbar on the bottom, because some levelgroup names are not shown at once e.g. Cosmos Mine:

I think that it's easy to implement :)
Zomis

Post by Zomis »

Even though it might be easy to implement, I would not like if I had to scroll left and right all the time.. I would more prefer if it said the full levelset name in red text at the top, below or above "103 levels". By the way... I wonder if there's any max limit at how many letters a levelset name can have?
m&m

Post by m&m »

If it's a bad idea so maybe the font should be smaller (e.g. the same size as the text above: 103 levels (Emerald Mine)) :)

When it comes to the max limit of levelset name, i'd bet 255 letters ;)
Tomi

Post by Tomi »

I think I already proposed to make the font smaller in Setup screen, and I like the idea to use the smaller font in Levelgroups too.
Holger
Site Admin

Post by Holger »

> In my opinion when you choose levelgroup there should be a scrollbar on
> the bottom, because some levelgroup names are not shown at once e.g.
> Cosmos Mine:
[...]
> I think that it's easy to implement

Maybe yes... Ideally, those names should be no longer than 30 characters.

Horizontal scrollbars should be prevented whenever possible, because they really suck -- everywhere, always. (At least that's my humble opinion... :-) )

About maximum level set name limit:

The maximum possible level name length is 1024 characters, but this is only a technical limit. For usability, it shouldn't be larger than 30 characters, if possible.

About using a smaller font:

When only using the existing fonts and not designing new ones, it wouldn't help much to use a smaller one for horizontal space. The smallest font is 14 pixels wide, while the currently used font on the level set selection screen is 16 pixel wide. With the currently used space for the columns for selection cursor and vertical scrollbar, you would gain not more than exactly four characters! So it's probably not worth it...

> I think I already proposed to make the font smaller in Setup screen, and I
> like the idea to use the smaller font in Levelgroups too.

In comparison to 3.1.x, the current 3.2.x already uses a font that is only half as wide as before (where it makes sense), so this shouldn't be a big problem anymore...
Martijn

Post by Martijn »

Maybe it's a good idea to let RnD automatically split those long titles into two lines, so that the remaining title text will appear on the line below (without a circle before it, of course)?
Visit my Boulder Dash website at:
http://www.bd-fans.com

Watch my avatar! That orange little thing is Murphy, the Supaplex star!
Holger
Site Admin

Post by Holger »

Yes, maybe... But maybe it's better to just limit the level set name to 30 characters, as it would otherwise be technically possible to create a set with a name long enough to have the whole screen covered by one single name, which could look confusing. :-/
Martijn

Post by Martijn »

But you did it yourself, with the EMC levels! Then it would be better if you limited the title size to two lines, maybe?
Visit my Boulder Dash website at:
http://www.bd-fans.com

Watch my avatar! That orange little thing is Murphy, the Supaplex star!