Don't unpause on release-key.

Got a cool idea that should be in R'n'D? Let's hear it!

Moderators: Flumminator, Zomis

bojster

Don't unpause on release-key.

Post by bojster »

Current behaviour of RnD is to unpause a paused game on any event (or whatever it's called: key-press, key-release, mouse, joystick and all that stuff). My suggestion is to change that so that the game is unpaused only happens on key/button press and not on the release.
Motivation: pretty often it happens that I pause the game when I'm walking (i.e. holding down the arrow key). Sometimes it's just because I don't release the button before pausing, sometimes it's on purpose - there are levels where timing is very important. Now, if I must do something urgently, I sometimes don't even notice that the game was unpaused almost instantly after I paused it - because I released the arrow button.
Therefore this behaviour is a bit unhandy to me and I'd like to see it changed if it's not a big problem (and since the longstanding bug of treating mouse wheel as a button was fixed recently, I really hope this issue will also be addressed ;-).
Tomi

Post by Tomi »

If this will be changed, please add an option that emulates original behavior.
Holger
Site Admin

Post by Holger »

Just checked this -- never really noticed this before.

It really feels "wrong", and should indeed be fixed. Shouldn't be too hard...

> If this will be changed, please add an option that emulates original behavior.

Is this really needed? Does this "malfunction" has any use worth adding such a switch? (Fixing it should not break any level, and I see no reason to keep the old (mis)behaviour available.)
bojster

Post by bojster »

Yeah, I'm also curious of Tomi's motivation. I think it's just cosmetics, totally unrelated to the engine.
Holger
Site Admin

Post by Holger »

Fixed now. (I really think this was to be treated as a bug.)

> I really hope this issue will also be addressed ;-).

Yes, this one was quite nasty (once I noticed it ;-) ).

A new version including this fix will probably be released very soon, as there are quite a number of other bugs that really have to be fixed as soon as possible for the current release version.
bojster

Post by bojster »

Holger wrote:Fixed now.
Danke. ;-)
Tomi

Post by Tomi »

> Is this really needed? Does this "malfunction" has any use worth adding such a switch?
I was accustomed to the old behavior, and it's more natural than the other one to me, but it isn't needed.
(Btw: which is preffered in English - "it's not" or "it isn't"?)
bojster

Post by bojster »

Tomi wrote:(Btw: which is preffered in English - "it's not" or "it isn't"?)
Elision usually goes from the left, so “it's not“ is more common (also, it's shorter to pronounce). But grammatically both are equal.