CE-value conditioned change-pages

Got a cool idea that should be in R'n'D? Let's hear it!

Moderators: Flumminator, Zomis

Tomi

CE-value conditioned change-pages

Post by Tomi »

What about change-pages that work only if the CE currently has specific value? This would allow to make some very interesting techniques.
Alan

Post by Alan »

Do you mean; trigger if value = 10, > 100 < 50?

I think this has been mentioned somewhere else, but yes it would be very nice! Zelda's health ceiling for example......

if ce_value >100 set ce_value = 100
Francesco

Post by Francesco »

Alan wrote:I think this has been mentioned somewhere else, but yes it would be very nice! Zelda's health ceiling for example......
I think there could be a workaround for that. I am not so accustomed to the new features, but it should work.

Use two different CEs to store the health, like CE1 set to value 100 and CE2 set to value 0.

When the player loses health, subtract n from CE1 and add n to CE2.
When the player gains health, add n to CE1 and subtract n from CE2.

In this way you can have a fake ceiling, checking when CE2 gets again to 0.

I am putting apart the problem about "No CEs left!", because it's another issue about Zelda...
Last edited by Francesco on Fri Aug 25, 2006 3:31 pm, edited 6 times in total.
Anyway, by the way, have fun!
Francesco
Tomi

Post by Tomi »

> Do you mean; trigger if value = 10, > 100 < 50?
Not exactly (I've meant only value = 10, not > or <), but why not?
Not like that... "ce_value > 100" is not an event, and changepages are triggered by an event (e.g. player presses a button, change by page of XYZ). This is meant to be an "additional condition", not an event.
(Something like "Set ce_value = 100 after delay 1 if ce_value > 100") would work thogh.)

Uses are countless - for example, in Zelda you could theoretically merge "buff -" elements. They all are just "walkable inside" plus changepages, so they could remember wich "buff" they are in CE value and then for example when CE value is 1 only changepages from "buff - room draw pause" would be used. And this is just an example. CEs with states, changing behavior, "conditional statements", the number of uses would be nearly infinite.

And no, making Zelda's max health just 100 is *not* a good idea! Really!! ;-) It would be impossible...
Francesco

Post by Francesco »

Whoa... cross posting... take a look above.
Francesco
Alan

Post by Alan »

Tomi, I read this and your other idea "Change-condition 'CE value/score gets N" and I've posted this in the wrong place :? :oops:
When the player loses health, subtract n from CE1 and add n to CE2.
When the player gains health, add n to CE1 and subtract n from CE2.
Yes..... that would work! Oh well :( Then again I suppose a health cap is a bit cruel.....if you earned the HP then you deserve them!
Francesco

Post by Francesco »

Well, you could set the starting value to 100, set the top to 150 and allow regular enemies to drop some heart here and there ;)
Francesco
Zomis

Post by Zomis »

Tomi wrote:Not like that... "ce_value > 100" is not an event, and changepages are triggered by an event (e.g. player presses a button, change by page of XYZ). This is meant to be an "additional condition", not an event.
(Something like "Set ce_value = 100 after delay 1 if ce_value > 100") would work thogh.)

Uses are countless - for example, in Zelda you could theoretically merge "buff -" elements. They all are just "walkable inside" plus changepages, so they could remember wich "buff" they are in CE value and then for example when CE value is 1 only changepages from "buff - room draw pause" would be used. And this is just an example. CEs with states, changing behavior, "conditional statements", the number of uses would be nearly infinite.
Even though the number of uses already are infinite (don't read that line, Holger!), I think that this is a veeery good idea. I already know a way (I think...) to making better warparounds using CEs.
Tomi

Post by Tomi »

Question for Holger: in which version can we expect this feature?
Holger
Site Admin

Post by Holger »

> in which version can we expect this feature?

Honestly, I really can't say. But this feature looks useful indeed...
Zomis

Post by Zomis »

Alan wrote:Do you mean; trigger if value = 10, > 100 < 50?

I think this has been mentioned somewhere else, but yes it would be very nice! Zelda's health ceiling for example......

Implementing this would result in a couple of possible element sorting techniques. I was about to start one just now, but then I found out that even though it could be possible it's hard without this feature.
Sascha

Post by Sascha »

Wouldn't solve that the problem:

[ ] element changes to ( ) after/when:

[ ] [CE Value / Score gets under / over]

player [ . . |+-]
page . [ . . |+-]
Value/Score [ . . |+-]

As you can set change page and player,
set the CE value/score.
Zomis

Post by Zomis »

Sascha wrote:Wouldn't solve that the problem:

[ ] element changes to ( ) after/when:

[ ] [CE Value / Score gets under / over]

player [ . . |+-]
page . [ . . |+-]
Value/Score [ . . |+-]

As you can set change page and player,
set the CE value/score.
No Sascha, that alone would not solve the problem. It would solve one part though, but there's another part. The main idea Tomi posted "What about change-pages that work only if the CE currently has specific value?" would mean that the CE Value/Score gets under/over is triggered as an AND condition. So that it could be used together with other options, like "CE Value is above 10 AND touched by player on left side."
Holger
Site Admin

Post by Holger »

Another problem is that the "Value/Score" for the CE condition is defined by the CE action gadgets, so that you wouldn't be able to use it for CE actions anymore.
Zomis

Post by Zomis »

Holger wrote:Another problem is that the "Value/Score" for the CE condition is defined by the CE action gadgets, so that you wouldn't be able to use it for CE actions anymore.
I don't really understand what you mean here.
I think Tomi means that a new gadget could be added though (but I guess the space for gadgets is starting to run out :D)