Set CE values in editor

Got a cool idea that should be in R'n'D? Let's hear it!

Moderators: Flumminator, Zomis

Tomi

Set CE values in editor

Post by Tomi »

This would be very useful IMO - surely awfully hard to implement it in the editor, but really very useful.

I'd like to be able to set CE values of objects in playfield in editor. With this, the CE value of objects in playfield doesn't always have to be the default on the beginning. It would work like this:

I have CE 1 with anim_mode:ce_value. CE value 0 = green gem, 1 = red gem, 2 = purple gem, 3 = yellow gem. Default CE value is 0. First, I make a rectangle of CE1s in the map. Then, I select a new tool in editor, press one of them, and enter its new CE value ("3"). (I'm not yet sure where to enter it, but that's just implementation details.) When the level starts, the CE will now look like yellow gem instead of green gem.
There's also the question how to indicate special CE value in the editor. I suggest something like this: when the CE uses its default CE value, it looks like normal. When the CE uses a special CE value, it has the value written on it, like this: Image (This CE values showing could be optionally turned off in editor settings.)

Example where it could be used: to make a text message in the game (or "static version of FMV"?) which uses only one CE.
Tomi

Post by Tomi »

Was this post missed?
Daniel H.

Post by Daniel H. »

I saw the post...

It would be useful, yet, as you said, hard to implement. :?

BTW -- When you made the "Was this post missed?" message, it had only been 24 hours and 9 minutes since you made this topic. :wink:
The H. World levelset can be downloaded from http://www.bd-fans.com/RnD.html -- search The H. World on that page.
Tomi

Post by Tomi »

I know, but I wasn't sure, as some other people already replied to other threads, but not this one. But you're right, probably it was too soon.
Daniel H.

Post by Daniel H. »

If this idea were implemented, there should be an option in "Editor Settings" to show or hide the CE value.

One problem would be, what would RnD do if the CE value had three or four digits? :?
The H. World levelset can be downloaded from http://www.bd-fans.com/RnD.html -- search The H. World on that page.
Tomi

Post by Tomi »

> If this idea were implemented, there should be an option in "Editor Settings" to show or hide the CE value.
I already said that:
> (This CE values showing could be optionally turned off in editor settings.)

> One problem would be, what would RnD do if the CE value had three or four digits?
Maybe it would display only two digits, with some indication that there's more, and when player hovers over the element, it would show the whole value somewhere (e.g. in the status bar).
Holger
Site Admin

Post by Holger »

Yes, this would be a useful extension of the level file and editor. For displaying it as suggested, zooming the playfield in the editor to a larger tile size would be a solution.