Also show element number and not only element token

Got a cool idea that should be in R'n'D? Let's hear it!

Moderators: Flumminator, Zomis

Zomis

Also show element number and not only element token

Post by Zomis »

Even though many are interested to know which token an element has, I think even more are interested to know which number an element has. (Like Custom 1 = 360...). So that it could be easier to know the forum LevelSketch code for it and other things...
Tomi

Post by Tomi »

I agree, this would be very useful!

(However, it may make complications if the numbers will change. Holger, when adding new elements, do you always add them on the end of the list?)
Alan

Post by Alan »

Even though many are interested to know which token an element has, I think even more are interested to know which number an element has. (Like Custom 1 = 360...). So that it could be easier to know the forum LevelSketch code for it and other things...
I agree, but it's odd that you mention levelsketch and not the "CE value of element triggering change" token which is what I'd use this info for....... IE set the value to 360 and CE1 is made.
Holger
Site Admin

Post by Holger »

> I think even more are interested to know which number an element has.
> (Like Custom 1 = 360...).

Is this really true? Never thought of that (not even for myself)...

> So that it could be easier to know the forum LevelSketch code for it and
> other things...

But for LevelSketch you don't need to know it at all -- just copy+paste! :-)

> (However, it may make complications if the numbers will change. Holger,
> when adding new elements, do you always add them on the end of the
> list?)

No, not necessarily. Adding new elements can even require re-numbering old elements (and add compatibility code to the file loaders). For example, if I would add some CEs, the old CE range would change to have them all in one large range again.

> I agree, but it's odd that you mention levelsketch and not the "CE value of
> element triggering change" token which is what I'd use this info for.......
> IE set the value to 360 and CE1 is made.

Aaargh. Right. So I also need in-game checks for changed ranges... :-o

Therefore, I would recommend to never use absolute numbers in this context (like "360" etc.), but always use indirect CE value numbers, like "CE value of element triggering change", which can be 360 now and something different in a new version.
Alan

Post by Alan »

I'm still a bit confussed about the "ce value of current element" token......it didn't do what I expected!

Say you have CE1 and its value is 60, then make it turn into "ce value of current element" if touched by player.......it turns into a dark yamyam.

Is this right? :? (or have I discovered something cool?)

If so then showing the elements number is much needed! Not just CEs but every element needs to display this number, otherwise you're in for some nasty trial and error (I couldn't tell you the number of say CE 200)
Zomis

Post by Zomis »

So what did you expect to come out from CE value 60?
It's perfectly correct, look at this: viewtopic.php?p=50

Even though it is possible to use copy+paste (even though I forgot the shortcut to do it...) I've only used that feature once, and that was for testing. Most often I know which element numbers the CEs is so I prefer to write it manually.
And even though it's a risk that some element numbers might change, I'd definetly would like this feature anyway!
Alan

Post by Alan »

So what did you expect to come out from CE value 60?
Not the actual element, but the fact that it created an element and not something to do with CE values......like copying a value from one to another!

Its name is kind of misleading.