Abolish sort priority for sounds/music/graphics sets

Got a cool idea that should be in R'n'D? Let's hear it!

Moderators: Flumminator, Zomis

Martijn

Abolish sort priority for sounds/music/graphics sets

Post by Martijn »

Here's a little suggestion. How about abolishing the sort priority for the sound sets, music sets and graphics sets? For mostly there is no actual difference between a music set with sort priority 200 (contributions) and a music set with sort priority 600 (Supaplex). The same to a sounds set and a graphics set. Only for the levelsets it is useful. Besides, only for the levelsets the caption of the sort priority (Contributions, Emerald Mine, Supaplex, Unknown Level Class...) is shown in the game. So what use does it have to have a list of e.g. graphics sets with many different colours? It looks messy and the meaning is unclear.
Visit my Boulder Dash website at:
http://www.bd-fans.com

Watch my avatar! That orange little thing is Murphy, the Supaplex star!
Daniel H.

Post by Daniel H. »

I agree, but sometimes I wish that the graphics, sounds, and music sets were in a better order.

But would rather not have sort_priority.
The H. World levelset can be downloaded from http://www.bd-fans.com/RnD.html -- search The H. World on that page.
Martijn

Post by Martijn »

Indeed. Holger, for all the levelsets on my site I've set the right sort priority. All the colours are correct and yet they are not in alphabetical order. BD2K3 for example is somewhere down on the list...

Why? What is the reason for this? Could you change this, so that all the levelsets are shown in alphabetical order?
Visit my Boulder Dash website at:
http://www.bd-fans.com

Watch my avatar! That orange little thing is Murphy, the Supaplex star!
Francesco

Post by Francesco »

I can't remember where, but this topic has been already discussed. Holger spoke about a list where levelsets could be sorted by name, type, author, number of levels and so on. It should be on his todo list, he will clear out this point as soon as he notices this thread, I think.
Anyway, by the way, have fun!
Francesco
Holger
Site Admin

Post by Holger »

> Besides, only for the levelsets the caption of the sort priority
> (Contributions, Emerald Mine, Supaplex, Unknown Level Class...) is
> shown in the game. So what use does it have to have a list of e.g.
> graphics sets with many different colours? It looks messy and the
> meaning is unclear.

I must totally agree here! :-o

You're perfectly right, this sort order was only really meant for the top-level view of level sets, but never really for other level sets (or even artwork sets) in sub-folders. This should be corrected as soon as possible.

Francesco: You're right, this is the "master plan" for the future (display level sets sorted by year, author, name, etc.), but this will probably still take some time to be implemented. What Martijn suggested is really more of a bug than an idea, and should be fixed very soon.

Can't guarantee to get it done before 3.2.0 (which I finally plan to release this weekend -- the new Windows installer is still making some small problems), but it should be one of the first fixes in 3.2.1 -- please remind me again if I should forget it again (which I try not to do)... :-)
Sascha

Post by Sascha »

I have never known what
sort-priority is.
Daniel H.

Post by Daniel H. »

The H. World levelset can be downloaded from http://www.bd-fans.com/RnD.html -- search The H. World on that page.