"self" pseudo-element

Got a cool idea that should be in R'n'D? Let's hear it!

Moderators: Flumminator, Zomis

Tomi

"self" pseudo-element

Post by Tomi »

(A pseudo-element is my name for those special thingies like "element triggering change" etc.)

As pointed out in other thread in "Game, Level and Graphic Designers", it would be useful to have a pseudo-element that expands to the changing element itself.
Alan

Post by Alan »

You mean the thing I said? I think its been moved now.
If there was some kind of token in RND called "self" you could use that in a change page, then you could copy this CE without having to edit it. (not a bad idea, but I'm wandering off topic)
Hummm 'pseudo-element' good name! :wink:

I have a couple more of these pseudo-element ideas...... a good one would be a pseudo-element that had a map X and Y offset that you set at design time, then instead of displaying that element it displays the one at map X,Y (added to the caller CE's X+Y)

You could use this for lots of cool things....

*edit* easier to sketch it.

The 'pseudo-element' (called MapOffset) is set to X=6,Y=4 (where the red key is). If the CE above changed into a MapOffset it would turn into yellow door.

If the CE left behind the MapOffset element it could be used for copying a part of the map during play.

But best of all you could use it for dynamic testing! So if you made the CE explode if it touches the MapOffset then it would be different depending on where it is in the map.
Tomi

Post by Tomi »

The name "pseudo-element" is inspired by "pseudo-classes" from CSS.