For Graphics Designers: Pictures in Mail Envelopes

All about creating levels and level sets, custom elements and custom artwork.

Moderators: Flumminator, Zomis

Daniel H.

For Graphics Designers: Pictures in Mail Envelopes

Post by Daniel H. »

:idea: :idea: :idea:

Here's how you could make four mail envelope pictures for each level for 40+ levels with one graphics set:
  • Remember that you can choose a different graphic for each letter of each color of mail envelope ().
  • You change the size of all letters of all mail envelopes so that they at least fill the mail envelope.
  • You make 1x1 character mail envelopes with one letter in them. In Level 1 you may want to use character '1' for each mail envelope, Level 2 use '2', and so on, and later you may have to start using letters and punctuation once you run out of digits.
  • For EACH letter of EACH color of mail envelope, make a picture that completely fills the size you set for letters, which should be at least the size of the mail envelope.
Additional notes:
  • If you want to leave one mail envelope for regular text, just leave the graphics and font size of one of the mail envelopes alone. This will allow three pictures per level.
  • You may occasionally have times where you would want to reuse pictures. Simply use the same letter in the same colored envelope.
  • You may want to change the graphics of mail envelopes from mail envelopes, if they are going to be pictures... :wink:
The H. World levelset can be downloaded from http://www.bd-fans.com/RnD.html -- search The H. World on that page.
Francesco

Post by Francesco »

It sounds very interesting, but I think I didn't get all the process... could you make an example level?
Anyway, by the way, have fun!
Francesco
Holger
Site Admin

Post by Holger »

This is a very interesting method which nobody has used so far (I think)!

Using an envelope background graphic for this purpose always had the limitation that you could only use it once per level set -- this solution which works for each single level is a great idea indeed!

Francesco: You can define a font for each envelope -- if you use a "font" with very big letters, you could simply design "letters" which are in fact the whole envelope for a certain level and envelope, in a completely graphical way!

It seems that R'n'D offers many possibilities which I didn't think of when I designed it, but which can be discovered by creative level designers! :-)
Alan

Post by Alan »

Wow, this is such a cool technique....best idea I've heard all year! :)

All those images could be a bit memory intensive though.
Sascha

Post by Sascha »

\ - _
U : O
/----\

Er.... well, but could you reply that? :shock:
Alan

Post by Alan »

Er.... well, but could you reply that?
I'm not sure what you mean here
Daniel H.

Post by Daniel H. »

Me neither!
The H. World levelset can be downloaded from http://www.bd-fans.com/RnD.html -- search The H. World on that page.