A way of separating rocks from diamonds

All about creating levels and level sets, custom elements and custom artwork.

Moderators: Flumminator, Zomis

James

A way of separating rocks from diamonds

Post by James »

Um, hello!
I was asking myself if it was a way of separating the rocks from the diamonds without using any custom element. :?:
If anybody knows how, please could you post a reply .
Francesco

Post by Francesco »

Hola James!
Welcome to the forum.

I had an idea, but I guess I was wrong. I thought that BD Diamonds behaved differently from EM Diamonds, while interacting with the Magic Wall. I was wrong for sure, but I wrote - since I didn't try it, actually -
The task you've said could be done with the Magic Wall (BD Style). The only problems are that the rocks are turned to BD Diamonds, and that can't use BD Diamonds in first place - so that you have to use EM Diamonds.

It isn't exactly a solution for your question, but it's the closer I can work out without CEs... just another "2 cents" ;)
So, I have no solution for the above problem.

By the way, if it's a real need for one of your levels, but you don't want to make CEs for yourself, I could make them for you, it is easy to achieve.

----

I also wondered about one thing: why should the Magic Walls interact with gems they haven't been made for? They should not swallow "unknown" gems...
what about adding this option to the Magic Walls?
Anyway, by the way, have fun!
Francesco
Francesco

Post by Francesco »

I wrote:I also wondered about one thing: why should the Magic Walls interact with gems they haven't been made for? They should not swallow "unknown" gems...
what about adding this option to the Magic Walls?
Curious... I've just noticed that the Crystals aren't swallowed by the Magic Walls... hope to hear your opinion about my idea, which could solve the problem presented by James, by the way - in particular, I'd like to hear what Holger thinks about it...
Francesco
Jannik

Post by Jannik »

What about quicksand? It will let rocks fall through but no emeralds/diamonds ...
Francesco

Post by Francesco »

Quicksand, yes, you're perfectly right, Jannik. I am asking myself the reason why I took in consideration the Magic Wall while forgetting of the Quicksand :(
Francesco
Zomis

Post by Zomis »

Interesting question, I like thinking of things like this!
The problem with using quicksand is that diamonds doesn't slip through, and since quicksand isn't slippery (at least not as I remember), so if a diamond would land on quicksand, it would block the way for all rocks... how to solve this problem?
Would be interesting to see the final solution, if there is any.
Jannik

Post by Jannik »

You could hire a penguin to collect the emeralds which block the quicksand. :wink:

It all depends on James' original plans, why he needed an emerald sort machine ...
Daniel H.

Post by Daniel H. »

And if you don't want the emeralds to be collected, then you could use a pig...
The H. World levelset can be downloaded from http://www.bd-fans.com/RnD.html -- search The H. World on that page.
Francesco

Post by Francesco »

Following this thread, I have made my very first no-CE level :)

http://www.zomis.net/rnd/download.php?id=500

The level could be solved in a couple of ways, now it would be nice a little feedback from James...
Francesco
Jannik

Post by Jannik »

Nice idea with the bomb at the end, Francesco! 8)
Francesco

Post by Francesco »

Thank you Jannik!
In effect I was thinking: to separate them, the player could simply pick up the diamonds... but in my level the player has to preserve them to let a boulder skip down to the bomb - of course he/she has also to put a boulder apart ;)
Francesco
James

Post by James »

I used a piramid of quicksand so the boulders got in and the diamonds got stuck. The diamonds made therocks or diamonds slip off, but I needed a enormous piramid for just a few rocks 'n' diamonds. :)
Good idea Francesco ...
Francesco

Post by Francesco »

Thank you James!
I agree with Zomis, questions of that type are very interesting - if you got another one, don't exitate to share it with us on the forum - or to share the eventual level or set you could be designing ;)
Francesco