The H. World Prerelease 1.00-1

All about creating levels and level sets, custom elements and custom artwork.

Moderators: Flumminator, Zomis

Daniel H.

Post by Daniel H. »

OUTDATED: (click here)
Right now, I am releasing three of our levels to show a sample of our work:
  • Outer Space CEs by Daniel H.
  • Police Challenge by Nathan H. (Group: Nathan H’s Regular Levels)
  • King Yam-Yam by Nathan H. (Group: Nathan H’s Bosses)
Download them now!

Solution tapes are included. Have fun! :D

Please use this thread to discuss these levels and their bugs, CEs, etc.
Last edited by Daniel H. on Thu Jun 01, 2006 7:59 pm, edited 7 times in total.
The H. World levelset can be downloaded from http://www.bd-fans.com/RnD.html -- search The H. World on that page.
Jannik

Post by Jannik »

Hi Daniel & Nathan!

Thanks for the three levels! I'm curious about the whole levelsets ... :)

Some comments:
I definitely don't like CEs, that use the graphics of some standard elements, but have a completely different and unexpected behaviour.
For example:
"CEs in outer space":
- the green player (first I thought it is a multiplayer level and tried to control him :wink: )
- the passable (!) spring wall
"Regular levels":
- the (weak) smashable wall

About the levels:
"CEs in outer space":
- I had trouble to find the right position to drop the diamond. I always tried it at the 5 downarrows at the right. :roll: Maybe you couldn't mention "Room X" and/or use a different (up and down arrow are very similar :oops: ) symbol for the drop place.
- the elevator is nice :o

"Regular levels":
- the police/mission idea is absolutely great :D
- I don't understand the meaning of "talking" in conjunction with the right arrow :?:
- You should remove the fake yellow key
- I think the levels could be smaller, especially because the three missions don't really need to be in one level. What about mission A = 1st level, B = 2nd Level, C = 3rd Level, final boss = 4th level?
- I had trouble with the final boss. You can start him by pressing the 'S' letter, but when I came there, he was already free and there was a big hill of rocks. I think I pressed one of the other 'S' letters in the level. You should use a different symbol to start the final boss.

"Bosses":
- funny 8)
Daniel H.

Post by Daniel H. »

Jannik wrote:Some comments:
We appreciate your input!

Jannik wrote:- You should remove the fake yellow key
- I think the levels could be smaller, especially because the three missions don't really need to be in one level. What about mission A = 1st level, B = 2nd Level, C = 3rd Level, final boss = 4th level?
I agree. Those sound like good ideas. Thank you! :)

I often have trouble with levels as long as Police Challenge because if you get hit in one mission, you have to start all over, and to load a tape takes so long that it is almost not worth it.
Jannik wrote:Thanks for the three levels! I'm curious about the whole levelsets ... :)
Then come back on June 1! We're excited to hear comments and just to release the levels! 8)
The H. World levelset can be downloaded from http://www.bd-fans.com/RnD.html -- search The H. World on that page.
HerzAusGold

Post by HerzAusGold »

I agree with Jannik.
The level's are big and difficult.
Please make some easier levels or a series for beginners.
Sometimes it seems double speed is ON. I really hate controlling the player in this mode.
Nevertheless NICE !
And the answer is ... 42 !
Daniel H.

Post by Daniel H. »

Jannik wrote:- I don't understand the meaning of "talking" in conjunction with the right arrow :?:
Whenever you see pointing to some words, that means that somebody in the level is speaking those words to you.

Jannik wrote:- You should remove the fake yellow key
I think that its original purpose was to confuse people. Back when this level was first started, it was required to run through the enemies at the lower right. Originally, I believe that a “bad guy” put that fake key there and hid the real key behind the blue passable wall after the enemies.
Jannik wrote:- the passable (!) spring wall
Well, it doesn’t look too bad to me, as long as I stick with classic R&D graphics.

I didn’t really have any other ideas of what to do there.

Jannik wrote:You should use a different symbol to start the final boss.
Do you mean like a light switch, or a CE that looks like ?

HerzAusGold wrote:The level's are big...
Yes, some of them ought to be broken into multiple levels. :?
Jannik

Post by Jannik »

Well, it doesn’t look too bad to me, as long as I stick with classic R&D graphics.
It does not look bad, it's just hard to find out, that you can walk through, because the standard spring is not passable. So I would prefer something like a door, a tube, a port or your custom element "walkable wall". Just my opinion ... :roll:
Do you mean like a light switch, or a CE that looks like the 'S' letter?
The problem is not how it looks. The 'S' letter is not unique in this level, there are many words, like "FINAL<BOSS", or "SIGNS:" where the player can (accidentally) trigger the "remote control sand" long before he reaches the final boss.
Daniel H.

Post by Daniel H. »

HerzAusGold wrote:Sometimes it seems double speed is ON. I really hate controlling the player in this mode.
On most levels, I do too. However, on our computer, Police Challenge (a 128x128 level) runs very slowly unless double speed movement is on. :|
However, I could put in a that you can choose to not eat if you wish.

I think that we will split Police Challenge into three or four separate levels anyway. Then we can take out all double speed movement.
HerzAusGold

Post by HerzAusGold »

Yeah, remove double speed! Or take a speed pill, so the player can choose.

For Jannik:
May be you dont know about it:
You can press "Fast Forward" or "Warp Forward" in the Recorder Panel.
So you have not so long to wait.
And "SingleStep" for fine control.
And the answer is ... 42 !
Daniel H.

Post by Daniel H. »

HerzAusGold wrote:You can press "Fast Forward" or "Warp Forward" in the Recorder Panel.
So you have not so long to wait.
Daniel H. wrote:However, on our computer, Police Challenge (a 128x128 level) runs very slowly unless double speed movement is on. :|
If you try to fast forward through Police Challenge (a 128x128 level) on our computer, it really does not make it go any faster. I don't know how fast your computers are.
Zomis

Post by Zomis »

Daniel H. wrote:If you try to fast forward through Police Challenge (a 128x128 level) on our computer, it really does not make it go any faster. I don't know how fast your computers are.
In general, if you have a huge level with many objects moving at the same time, the tape loading takes a lot of extra time. This is because the tape loader actually re-plays the level, step by step. On faster computers, it could take less time, but it still can take a lot of time...
Daniel H.

Post by Daniel H. »

Zomis wrote:In general, if you have a huge level with many objects moving at the same time, the tape loading takes a lot of extra time.
Does it help speed the loading up if most the moving objects are as still as they are in Police Challenge?
Daniel H.

Post by Daniel H. »

Jannik wrote:- I think the levels could be smaller, especially because the three missions don't really need to be in one level. What about mission A = 1st level, B = 2nd Level, C = 3rd Level, final boss = 4th level?
Today I broke the missions into different levels. They will be this way in the final release. Thank you for the advice! :)

I wrote:However, on our computer, Police Challenge (a 128x128 level) runs very slowly unless double speed movement is on. :|
Now that the missions have been broken into separate levels, double speed movement has been removed from the player. 8)

However, the enemies still move at the same speed. This makes the missions a bit harder. Mission C was modified slightly to make it sensibly possible at all. :wink:
Last edited by Daniel H. on Sat Jun 24, 2006 7:35 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Daniel H.

Post by Daniel H. »

If you liked The H. World Pre-release, then you'll like the final release of version 1.00! (Even if you didn't, there are some other types of levelsets in the final release, which is much more complete.)

If you are interested, then download it here and please discuss it here!