Original BD

All about creating levels and level sets, custom elements and custom artwork.

Moderators: Flumminator, Zomis

Rockford4ever

Original BD

Post by Rockford4ever »

I just did something nice in the original BoulderDash: I completed it with losing just 2 lives - One in Cave D, with the butterflys, (can't believe it!) and one in Cave J with the Fireflys in the box.
The Intermissions dont count luckily because I only won 1 of them. (Cave X1, Intermission 1 that is.)
I ended up with 7 lives at the end! 8)

Too bad that it was'nt in R'n'D but a Remake which I got from Martijn's site, (it was like 99% close to the original,) so I don't have a tape... :cry:

Oh yeah, I completed Cave L, the one where you need to smash the fireflys at the right side of the level to get some diamonds, with one second left. I got about 6200 points all together.
Anyone did better in BD? Alan? ;)
Holger
Site Admin

Post by Holger »

Cool!

Too bad that this wasn't R'n'D, as I just wanted to ask for the tapes! :-)
Alan

Post by Alan »

Here's a tape of me finishing BD, getting 8704.

You'll need Vice to watch it (and it's 24 minutes long!)

(Isn't this strangely coincidental Holger?)
Rockford4ever

Post by Rockford4ever »

[u]Alan[/u] wrote:Here's a tape of me finishing BD, getting 8704.

You'll need Vice to watch it (and it's 24 minutes long!)

(Isn't this strangely coincidental Holger?)
I thought you were better ;)
But after all I'm only 10 years old, and it was my second try playing or so... I didn't watch the tape, but still well done! :roll:
Alan

Post by Alan »

but still well done! :roll:
Hey, you asked if I could do better, and I already had the tape.........so enough of the rolling eyes ok? :evil:
But after all I'm only 10 years old
That's sad using your age as an excuse.
Francesco

Post by Francesco »

You know? I agree with Alan. It's an excuse. I remember that I was really more clever and smart, and moreover that my reflexes were really faster when I was younger respect my current age - 27yo.

[Edit 2]And I knew that older people were "slower", to use a resuming word. Many youngs are aware of that.[/Edit 2]

I think that young people could take it as an advice: it's not so easy to avoid loosing (I mean exactly loosing, not losing) cleverness on the path of life... be careful :) :wink: :D

[Edit]
Alan, maybe the rolling eyes were about the fact that he was expressing a comment over a tape that he didn't see yet...
[/Edit]
Anyway, by the way, have fun!
Francesco
Rockford4ever

Post by Rockford4ever »

Alan, maybe the rolling eyes were about the fact that he was expressing a comment over a tape that he didn't see yet...
Yep. Fransesco is right here.
That's sad using your age as an excuse.
You are making me sad with that. It's almost like you are saying that I am bad in playing or so... :cry: Well probably not. Whatever. I thought no one should care about my highscore.
Alan

Post by Alan »

You are making me sad with that. It's almost like you are saying that I am bad in playing or so... Well probably not. Whatever. I thought no one should care about my highscore.
I don't even understand this..... You think I'm saying your bad a playing? Eh?

No, I'm saying bad a losing.......big difference.

If you don't like losing, then don't throw down challanges at me ok?
And I'm not going to post in this stupid thread anymore, it's childish.
RTAK545

Post by RTAK545 »

I viewed a 24m20s tape of Arno Weber, who got 7689. However, he encountered a bug on intermission 3 where he got killed a soon as rockford appeared from the in door, so he would of gotten higher. (I don't know how many points a successful completion of intermission 3 is worth.)
Yeah; what he just said.
LogicDeLuxe

Post by LogicDeLuxe »

RTAK545 wrote:(I don't know how many points a successful completion of intermission 3 is worth.)
140 for all the Diamonds and the remaining seconds times the level number when you reach the exit.
It's a PAL bug. If you have an emulator, try this in NTSC!
As a workaround, you can exploit another bug, as the Inbox is flashing slightly longer in two player mode, allowing the fireflies to pass before Rockford appears.

And according the Highscore, there was a Competition last year at Lemon64: http://www.lemon64.com/forum/viewtopic. ... 985#180985
It seems I was the only one using a real C64. I guess, this gave me an advantage. Note that the version we used was patched in a way, you won't get bonus lifes for each 500 points.
Alan

Post by Alan »

I viewed a 24m20s tape of Arno Weber, who got 7689. However, he encountered a bug on intermission 3 where he got killed a soon as rockford appeared from the in door

Yep, this happened to me also. Either the cave delay is too fast or the entrance delay is too slow.
It's a PAL bug. If you have an emulator, try this in NTSC!
Well I don't remember that happening when I played BD on my PAL CBM way back, which makes me think its an emulation bug or a bad copy of BD......but it was a long time ago.

Anyway for the record I cheated ;-), It's so easy (and instantaneous) to save and load your position in VICE whilst you are recording.

Are you guys from a BD forum or something? (welcome the forum btw)
Maybe you could help me clarify a BD-BDII memory. If the amoeba is touching (?) a magic wall and you activate it, the entire amoeba turns to diamonds.......It only happened once to me, did I dream this or what?
LogicDeLuxe

Post by LogicDeLuxe »

Alan wrote:Maybe you could help me clarify a BD-BDII memory. If the amoeba is touching (?) a magic wall and you activate it, the entire amoeba turns to diamonds.......It only happened once to me, did I dream this or what?
It was probably in BD3. If you drop a boulder into the magic wall and the only amoeba units with the ability of growing (dirt or space next to it) are located under the magic wall (no need to touch it), it will convert to diamonds. There are a lot of details in my BD-Inside-FAQ.
I'm currently working on it while coding my new Crazy Light Tools.