A bug in CE's movements?

All about creating levels and level sets, custom elements and custom artwork.

Moderators: Flumminator, Zomis

Francesco

A bug in CE's movements?

Post by Francesco »

In the first level there are 2 series of 4 CEs which bounce horizontally at different speeds.
There are some red indicators which light on when touched by the moving CEs.

Notice the top and bottom vertical series of indicators: they go "a tempo" when the level starts, but the bottom one soon looses beats.

It's the same if you walk one step up (from the start position) while the CE n°4 is on the left - . It will beat regurlary only the first time, and then it looses beats. Seems that each change of direction takes some frames to the movement...

But the space run by the elements is virtually the same, I mean, when it reaches the center field, going on to the right or coming back to the left has the same number of free fields...

(I'm not so sure about this. Maybe it's a feature.)

----------------------------------

The second level contains some CEs which "try to rotate".
Figure:012
0 is static;
1 starts moving up following left side at slow speed;
2 starts moving up following left side as normal speed.

They will rotate together, just like the helix of an airplane.

It can be done with *couples* of CEs with close speeds (ie: "slow and normal", "very fast and even faster") but not with *triplets*, because of the doubling-speed step, which restricts this technique to 2 elements around a center.

Well, this is more like a new idea, a deeper control over CE's speed...
But it's not an official request! Just a thing I've worked on (obviously it's not related to the above presumed bug).

http://www.zomis.net/rnd/download.php?id=415

They are both solvable, by the way, just a silly addon to a demo levelset.
Anyway, by the way, have fun!
Francesco
Holger
Site Admin

Post by Holger »

I had a look at your level. Yes, you are right with your observation! The reason for this behaviour is that an element that changes its move direction takes at least one frame (if I remember correctly) for turning around to the new direction. Therefore, if one CE moves with double speed (like in your level), it takes twice as many frames for turning around as the other CE that moves with normal speed, resulting in an out-of-sync effect.

So this can be considered "normal behaviour"... :-)