resize program

All about creating levels and level sets, custom elements and custom artwork.

Moderators: Flumminator, Zomis

Martijn

resize program

Post by Martijn »

I found a nice little program which creates a shortcut to a game in the resolution you want (because in Windows it's limited).
Isn't that a good way to finally get rid of that black corner around the game?

So I tried to make a shortcut to rocks 'n' diamonds with a 320x240 32 bit resolution. In vain. With RnD, the program creates an stderr.txt with this content:

D:\Boulderdash\Freeware\rocksndiamonds-3.1.0\rocksndiamonds.exe: warning: cannot read directory './graphics'
D:\Boulderdash\Freeware\rocksndiamonds-3.1.0\rocksndiamonds.exe: warning: cannot read directory './sounds'
D:\Boulderdash\Freeware\rocksndiamonds-3.1.0\rocksndiamonds.exe: warning: cannot read directory './music'
D:\Boulderdash\Freeware\rocksndiamonds-3.1.0\rocksndiamonds.exe: LoadCustomImage(): cannot find file 'RocksFontSmall.pcx'
D:\Boulderdash\Freeware\rocksndiamonds-3.1.0\rocksndiamonds.exe: aborting

Why?

This is a nice program and it works with other games. But why doesn't it work with RnD?

Btw. I didn't post this in the help section, because this is a new program and because it's not really about RnD help.
Visit my Boulder Dash website at:
http://www.bd-fans.com

Watch my avatar! That orange little thing is Murphy, the Supaplex star!
Alan

Post by Alan »

Hummm...... what's the program called?

Is it installed or standalone? If it is a standalone exe, try putting it in the R&Ds root folder and run it.

But even then I don't think this will work as R&Ds is the last thing to be executed and it sets its own res to 800x600.

As a last resort try setting your horizontal/vertical/zoom size on your monitor to the max....works for me!
Martijn

Post by Martijn »

oops :oops: I forgot to put the download link there... :oops: :oops:

this is the program:
http://dana.ucc.nau.edu/~tsr22/apps/reso.exe

But I already change my monitor settings by zooming (otherwise RnD would never be so much fun for me...) but in some other games I have to zoom out again and that is irritating...
Last edited by Martijn on Thu Jun 30, 2005 2:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Alan

Post by Alan »

I put the exe in the R&Ds folder and also made the shortcut there as well.... didn't get the errors you said, but no res change either. (I didn't think it would work)

I think it's for windowed programs only. Still it's handy little program which I'll keep :)

btw 320x240 would of been too small anyway....

*EDIT*

It does work!

Go into R&Ds and turn off fullscreen in the graphic options, then try it. As you can see 320x240 is too small.... Try 512x384 or 640x480

When the game begins it will be all the way in the top left corner, so right click R&Ds in your taskbar and click on "Move"...... now scroll the window using the cursor keys (this is a handy tip for any windows users btw)

Kind of funny seeing the entire screen full of sand! :D

*LAST EDIT* ;-)

For my C64 emulator I set the screen at 400x300x8 (which fills the screen nicely), and I have my refresh rate set to 100 hertz for this mode only. The C64 used 50 hertz (PAL) but by doubling it to 100 I managed to trick it and get it 99% smooth. I just tried this res with R&Ds and WOW! Silky smooth scrolling :shock: There is a bit of tearing but this is only because R&Ds has no vsync?

Thanks!
Martijn

Post by Martijn »

still it doesn't work on my PC. The best would be a change in the programming code, of course! (But that's on Holger's TODO list).

Holger
Site Admin

Post by Holger »

> So I tried to make a shortcut to rocks 'n' diamonds with a 320x240 32 bit
> resolution. In vain. With RnD, the program creates an stderr.txt with this
> content:
[...]
> Why?

Because R'n'D was too stupid to determine its own directory -- the same problem occured when trying to start it under Linux in a graphical file browser like "Konqueror" -- it just does not find its files and exists.

Funny, I just fixed that problem two days ago! So all future versions of R'n'D won't have this problem anymore, and it's then not needed anymore to change to the R'n'D directory before starting it.

Besides that, I think that R'n'D won't run in 320x240 resolution...
Holger
Site Admin

Post by Holger »

> The C64 used 50 hertz (PAL) but by doubling it to 100 I managed to trick it
> and get it 99% smooth. I just tried this res with R&Ds and WOW! Silky
> smooth scrolling

Sounds really cool!!! :-o

> There is a bit of tearing but this is only because R&Ds has no vsync?

That's right -- I never used it, although SDL does have support for it, because most people will have refresh rates like 75 Hz or 85 Hz, which would result in slow game speed. But I could add this as a config-file-only option for people which know what they're doing. ;-)
Holger
Site Admin

Post by Holger »

> still it doesn't work on my PC. The best would be a change in the
> programming code, of course! (But that's on Holger's TODO list).

Not really sure what you mean here -- the VSYNC thing that Alan mentioned?

Besides that, I indeed have some far future plans to add support for 640x480, 800x600 or 1024x768 modes which fill the whole screen, but this would of course make problems with sets like "jue" or "BD2K3" which are made specifically for the current window size (especially the smaller 640x480 mode would be a problem here, although it would perfectly resemble the "classic" resolution, with doubled tiles).