Supaplex graphics upgrading

All about creating levels and level sets, custom elements and custom artwork.

Moderators: Flumminator, Zomis

Indeyets

Supaplex graphics upgrading

Post by Indeyets »

I want to convert supaplex graphics to truecolor, with proper blending/smoothing. Didn't anyone do that before?

Just don't want to duplicate work ;)
bojster

Post by bojster »

Check out Supaplex graphics in BD2K4 levelset.
Holger
Site Admin

Post by Holger »

Welcome to the forum, Indeyets! :-)

> I want to convert supaplex graphics to truecolor, with proper
> blending/smoothing. Didn't anyone do that before?

As bojster already wrote, there are indeed enhanced Supaplex style graphics available in Alan Bond's very fine "BD2K3" level set.

Have a look at them, and feel free to create your own flavour of the classic Supaplex graphics, if you like!

I think there are a lot of possibilities to enhance classic graphics in different ways! My own approach -- due to lack of experience with today's graphics software -- is more or less limited to purely adapting the classic graphics to the higher screen resolutions, so there's still a lot of room left for further improvements not only from a technical, but also a creative point of view!
Indeyets

Post by Indeyets »

bd2k3 is impressive (just checked it). but I was thinking about simplier thing....

I guess I'll drop the result here, when I finish :)
Alan

Post by Alan »

Hi Indeyets, welcome to the forum.
I want to convert supaplex graphics to truecolor, with proper blending/smoothing. Didn't anyone do that before?
I think somebody uploaded an enhanced supaplex graphic set to Zommis' archive.....but it was only a gamma correction.

Smoothing a 32x32 pixel graphic is OK (if you can get away with it), maybe using something like the eagle engine which is in many emulators today would be better... don't know if there's a filter like that for photoshop though.

normal pixels / eagle engine
Holger
Site Admin

Post by Holger »

Very interesting -- never heard of it. :-o

Do you know some examples of programs or emulators that use this smoothing engine? I'm thinking of open-source versions, of course. :-)

Then I could use it on the original classic EMC graphics (at least as an option in the "graphicsinfo.conf" file) to smooth them (they look really "pixelized" on modern monitors, although at roughly the same physical size, because those old RGB monitors added quite some "analogue anti-aliasing" to the original, low-resolution graphics... :-) ).
bojster

Post by bojster »

Holger wrote:those old RGB monitors added quite some "analogue anti-aliasing" to the original, low-resolution graphics... :-) ).
Hehe, that's why I don't enjoy playing Amiga games on a 'modern' monitor that much (and my old one is dead, sadly...). ;-)
Alan

Post by Alan »

Do you know some examples of programs or emulators that use this smoothing engine? I'm thinking of open-source versions, of course. :-)
ZSNES, has the normal eagle I used for the screen shot,

Visual Boy Advance, This has the super eagle filter, and the better Super 2xSaI filter.

I think WinUAE has recently added eagle as well.

Some googling for "Dirk Stevens Eagle Engine" got me to Kreed's 2xSaI C source. (the RAR link in the first news item)
http://elektron.its.tudelft.nl/~dalikifa/

And somebodys hack of Kreed's 2xSaI
http://bob.allegronetwork.com/projects.html
Martijn

Post by Martijn »

Alan wrote:I think somebody uploaded an enhanced supaplex graphic set to Zommis' archive.....but it was only a gamma correction.
you probably mean this (I uploaded it again, because I couldn't find it anymore): http://www.zomis.net/rnd/download.php?id=372

indeed, that's a gamma/brightness/contrast correction of the already improved supaplex graphics in rnd.
Visit my Boulder Dash website at:
http://www.bd-fans.com

Watch my avatar! That orange little thing is Murphy, the Supaplex star!

Post by guest »

Martijn

Post by Martijn »

Looks like a great program! But I tried it and it didn't work. I installed zlib and libpng and used the commandline option, but nothing worked.
Visit my Boulder Dash website at:
http://www.bd-fans.com

Watch my avatar! That orange little thing is Murphy, the Supaplex star!

Post by guest »

Martijn wrote:
Looks like a great program! But I tried it and it didn't work. I installed zlib and libpng and used the commandline option, but nothing worked.
http://osdn.dl.sourceforge.net/sourcefo ... entium.zip
i don't know why, i tested windows binaries with suplied libpng and zlib on Wine emulator, and both programs are ok, compiled linux binaries works too
Darkon_

Post by Darkon_ »

This could make a nice option under graphical settings *nudge* :-p

That way people who arnt very good at making graphics could make low res graphics, scale them up to size then apply the scaling method.

Actually speaking of which, when you release the next version of R&D, will you have the option so people can create lower res custom graphics and scale them? like you are for emerald mines?

Ugh, im at work at the moment so didnt bother logging on, these computers arnt very secure.
Holger
Site Admin

Post by Holger »

> This could make a nice option under graphical settings *nudge* :-p

Yeah, right. :-)

> Actually speaking of which, when you release the next version of R&D,
> will you have the option so people can create lower res custom graphics
> and scale them? like you are for emerald mines?

Yes! Although there won't be "eagle engine" smoothing in the next version, it will already contain the new graphics engine option ".scale_up_factor" to specify a value by which the custom graphics will be scaled up (only powers of 2, of course :-) ). Makes it easy to add already existing "classic" graphics without the need to manually scale it up to 32x32 tiles.