is this story alright?

All about creating levels and level sets, custom elements and custom artwork.

Moderators: Flumminator, Zomis

Martijn

is this story alright?

Post by Martijn »

Hello,

I'm creating a levelset with the original BD graphics (thanks to Alan Bond), and a remix of the BD song and some new sounds.

I have found a very cool background image with a castle surrounded buy myst on it for the main menu. This is the intro story:

Welcome to these levels.

First of all, let me tell you a story.

Far, far away, there was a castle whcih was completely surrounded by a thick myst. It was known that nobody returned after he had entered the thick curtain of myst. Some people said that the occupiers of the castle emprisoned the men who ventured the surroundings of the castle. Others said that the myst caused a sleep from which nobody could awake. Those who had gone into the myst, were condemned to dream about their glorious or unglorious past for the rest of their life.

One day, there was an old brave man who did not believe these tales. He made his journey to the castle. When he came into the myst, his eyes began to roll and soon he was asleep. Unfortunately for him, the tales were true. This old man began to dream about his own past. Once he had been a great hero. The name of this man was Rockford...

... and so ends the story. Rockford revives his Boulder Dash adventures. Guide Rockford through the following levels. Let him revive his past.

I couldn't invent another story, because I wanted to use that cool background image. Is this story good enough? Or is it too bad?
Visit my Boulder Dash website at:
http://www.bd-fans.com

Watch my avatar! That orange little thing is Murphy, the Supaplex star!
Holger
Site Admin

Post by Holger »

Nice story! So we probably need some sort of "intro text screen" where the intro text is displayed when the level set was selected the very first time, and after it the intro text can be read in the info screen.

Until then, there's the "readme.txt" possibility, which can be read in the info screen.
Martijn

Post by Martijn »

...or I can use an envelope (that will be the only non-BD element then). But I must say that taking an envelope is a bit stupid. An intro screen would be better, yes.

This levelset is intended for contributions 2005, so there's still time enough...
Visit my Boulder Dash website at:
http://www.bd-fans.com

Watch my avatar! That orange little thing is Murphy, the Supaplex star!
Zomis

Post by Zomis »

Holger wrote:Nice story! So we probably need some sort of "intro text screen" where the intro text is displayed when the level set was selected the very first time, and after it the intro text can be read in the info screen.

Until then, there's the "readme.txt" possibility, which can be read in the info screen.
...which isn't scrollable...(checked with Alan's Netwars, no scrolling possible when checking Level set info).
Holger
Site Admin

Post by Holger »

> > Until then, there's the "readme.txt" possibility, which can be read in the info screen.

> ...which isn't scrollable...(checked with Alan's Netwars, no scrolling possible when checking
> Level set info).

The whole "readme.txt" thing is a very quick and dirty hack...

What it need at least to make it better:
- scrolling or support to show more than one page
- some sort of formatting

Text like the above (lists where each list item starts with "-" etc.) are not possible at the moment, because the whole text is dumped and formatted to match the screen width (so you can write your "readme.txt" with 80 characters per line and have it shown with the currently active font on the info screen), which destroys basic formattings in the text file... Still looking for an easy solution that does not require HTML style "tags" in the file... :-/