Checking if an element is before or after another...HOW?

All about creating levels and level sets, custom elements and custom artwork.

Moderators: Flumminator, Zomis

Zomis

Checking if an element is before or after another...HOW?

Post by Zomis »

Hi all, I need help with this.

For example, imagine the following:

Now, if all these rocks were CEs, and the player entered one of them. I would like those before (i.e. those placed at a more top-left position) the entered to become something, and those after to become something else. For example, if the player enters the 3rd from left, this would result in something like:

I just can't think of how to fix this using CEs.
I will use it for a new type of teleportation when I get this working
Flumminator

Post by Flumminator »

just an idea (don't know if it works):

make the CE change into a helper-CE when entered, and have additional change pages "when touching XX at left/right" side
Flumminator->PostCounter += 1;
Zomis

Post by Zomis »

hmm... sorry if I was unclear, but I want it to work no matter where the teleporters are placed. Your idea might work when placing them next to each other, but it won't work when they are further away.

Should become

When entering the 3rd "rock" from the left.
Zomis

Post by Zomis »

Yay, I finally got some success :)
This technique, together with a couple of other teleporter techniques, can be found in the Teleporters levelset I've now updated.

It now contains 13 levels.
The technique in this thread was made with 5 CEs, if anyone can reduce the number of CEs, please contact me and teach me how as well. :) You will, of course, get some credit for it.
Alan

Post by Alan »

Pretty cool!

I especially like the level with all the FFFFs (ice). You are getting closer to Chip's Challenge everyday ;-)

But why does it say you moved one step when you have moved at least three?
Zomis

Post by Zomis »

Alan wrote:But why does it say you moved one step when you have moved at least three?
Blame Holger, that's because all the moves are caused by the first, since the extra moves are "simply" CEs changing to the CE and a player at another position, so the player actually doesn't move, he just slide :)
Check viewtopic.php?t=218

And yeah, I know I don't use the best graphics for it, I prefer making levels instead of graphics :P :)

There's a lot of things which has to be fixed before I can "convert" Chips Challenge to RND though, because there also enemies and blocks and stuff can move on ice. It would be more possible if a "dig <CE group> change to same CE in <CE group>" option were added.

Another thing I really need, both for Chips Challenge and for Solomon's Key (Fire'n'Ice) is a "CE change when digging <CE>" change condition.
Holger!!!! :) ;)
Alan

Post by Alan »

>And yeah, I know I don't use the best graphics for it, I prefer making levels instead of graphics

Eh? I never mentioned graphics :?

And I also prefer making levels. :P
Zomis

Post by Zomis »

Alan wrote:>And yeah, I know I don't use the best graphics for it, I prefer making levels instead of graphics

Eh? I never mentioned graphics :?

And I also prefer making levels. :P
Well, it just crossed my mind when you said you enjoyed the level with the FFFFs ;)
Alan

Post by Alan »

Ok , I should of said the auto-moving level..... I just said the level with FFFFs as a point of reference.

Now I'm off to play with my crayons, drool and eat sand. :wink: