Custom acid pool?

All about creating levels and level sets, custom elements and custom artwork.

Moderators: Flumminator, Zomis

eliasz

Custom acid pool?

Post by eliasz »

This idea is haunting me but I doubt if this is possible. The challenge is to create a CE behaving like the acid pool with some modifications, e.g. allowing some maximal "capacity" (the number of sunken objects after which the acid would dry). There are two problems:
  1. It's not possible for things other than the player to enter a CE, is it? E.g. yams sink only when heading down, not just passing by.
  2. It'd be nice to have an animation of the object going down, just like into a normal pool.
What do you think?
Zomis

Post by Zomis »

Well, it could work by making the elements that are supposed to enter the CE-Acid into other CEs and use the "Can dig <Acid>" and "Change when digging <Acid>" options. The animations would be difficult though, I don't know if that's possible.
Holger
Site Admin

Post by Holger »

Good idea, Zomis, it might work that way (haven't tried though).

About corresponding animations, it should be quite easy using the "two-tile" animation (".2nd_movement_tile" suffix etc.) -- have a look at the native EM graphics sets to see how it works!

Another way would be to not use "can dig <element>", but instead use something like "touch CE from above" and then either temporarily remove the acid CE and let the sinking CE move to the acid position, using a two-tile animation again and change the sinking CE to the acid CE afterwards, or just change acid CE and sinking CE to two static (non-moving) CEs with the sinking animations, changing the upper CE to empty space and the lower CE to the acid CE again afterwards.

This assumes that the elements that can sink into the acid pool are rebuild by CEs, too, but this seemed reasonable to me for the case of building a custom acid pool.

So it should be possible, with a few extra CEs for each moving/sinking CE and the custom acid pool.
eliasz

Post by eliasz »

Thanks a lot, great idea! I haven't tested the trick with graphics (requires a lot of work) but I get what you mean (seen the graphic sets of original EM).

The solution (can dig...) works with one exception: the falling element will not slip off the bath edge. Anyway the idea is pretty useful and I think I'll use it for a different purpose: I'm thinking of making fog of war :) If it works, I'll post it here.