original supaplex sounds

All about creating levels and level sets, custom elements and custom artwork.

Moderators: Flumminator, Zomis

Martijn

original supaplex sounds

Post by Martijn »

As far as I can remember, this has been discussed before, but I would like to give this some attention again. Now that the SP engine is ready, it would be nice if the Supaplex sounds were identical to the original game. Currently, the sounds in the mus_classic set have another bitrate, which is why they sound different from the original sounds.

I do have a set of the original sounds. Download them here: http://bd-fans.com/Files/FanStuff/Sound ... sounds.zip
However, if I try to load them in RnD, they sound differently and very ugly. Converting to MP3 doesn't work either. What's the problem here? It would be nicer if RnD would support the original Supaplex sounds, they sound more "natural". The current sounds sound a bit flat.
Visit my Boulder Dash website at:
http://www.bd-fans.com

Watch my avatar! That orange little thing is Murphy, the Supaplex star!
Holger
Site Admin

Post by Holger »

> Now that the SP engine is ready, it would be nice if the Supaplex sounds
> were identical to the original game.

Yes, right...

> Currently, the sounds in the mus_classic set have another bitrate, which is
> why they sound different from the original sounds.

Well, the bitrate is not really the problem. R'n'D uses sounds with a bitrate of 22050 Hz, while the original Spuaplex sounds have a bitrate that is lower than that. Therefore, it should be possible to convert them to the higher bitrate with not too much loss of quality.

The fact that the current Supaplex sounds sound different (worse) than the original sounds is due to apparently bad conversion to the higher bitrate.

> However, if I try to load them in RnD, they sound differently and very ugly.

Yes, because they don't have a bitrate of 22050 Hz. SDL_mixer just loads them and plays them with the wrong bitrate of 22050 Hz, which have to sound bad. (As far as I know, SDL_mixer does no on-the-fly bitrate conversion.)

> What's the problem here?

Re-converting the original sounds to the bitrate R'n'D uses, using a high quality sound converter, should solve the problem.
Martijn

Post by Martijn »

Holger wrote:Re-converting the original sounds to the bitrate R'n'D uses, using a high quality sound converter, should solve the problem.
OK great. Does anyone have such a high quality sound converter and can he do this for me? Thanks.
Visit my Boulder Dash website at:
http://www.bd-fans.com

Watch my avatar! That orange little thing is Murphy, the Supaplex star!
Holger
Site Admin

Post by Holger »

Maybe any recent sound converter will work fine...

I've converted the Supaplex sounds in the mid-1990's using sox on Linux, and either the converter sound quality wasn't that good back then, or I simply used the wrong filter...

Maybe I will try to reconvert them with a recent version of sox...