Zelda 2

All about creating levels and level sets, custom elements and custom artwork.

Moderators: Flumminator, Zomis

Zomis

Post by Zomis »

Indeed a great level!

However, I encountered a RnD bug while using the level editor (yeah, I want to cheat!!), after scrolling right and down a while (so I got a good overview of the map), I pressed left to scroll left and RnD was shut down.

I haven't been able to trace anything about that in the stderr.txt file.

But oh well, now my tape has been loaded. Back to playing!

It was a little annoying at first by the way when I couldn't figure out how to smash those bushes. But then I found the tool for it :)

And I really wonder what those animals do...
Alan

Post by Alan »

I pressed left to scroll left and RnD was shut down.
Holger? :lol: :lol: :lol:

(Let me explain, I've been trying to prove this one to Holger for a few weeks now, in fact he just mentioned this "elusive" bug in comparison to the Z2 bug.....like an hour ago)
Holger
Site Admin

Post by Holger »

Damnit! :-O There's that bug again! :-o

I've created a thread for it in the bug reports section -- see here:

viewtopic.php?p=10058

Indeed I tried hard to reproduce this bug when Alan reported it to me, but was never able to reproduce it, neither on my Linux box nor on my W2k system. :-o

If anybody was able to reproduce this bug on his/her system, please let me know, and report it in the above thread.

So we can continue talking about Zelda 2 here! :-)
RTADash

Post by RTADash »

Alan wrote: Just a guess but I take it you never killed all the zombies in the penultimate room? (and I don't blame you if you didn't! :wink:)
Nope, but I found the [spoiler] lightning wand[/spoiler] to be more useful than the [spoiler]fire gloves.[/spoiler]
Alan wrote: Just spent the last hour moving left to right between these two rooms and I couldn't reproduce the bug! (check your PM for this level)
[spoiler]
You have to go back multiple rooms (like to the one with the rocks/bushes) and then come back. Sorry for not being clear here. I got the amulet the first time and then discovered that with all the bushes/rocks being ghosts and my health only at 40/99, that I should restock on health before getting the amulet, so I went back to my save and left the amulet room in pursuit of hearts. Then I came back to get the amulet and then the problems arose once I left the room.
[/spoiler]
Alan wrote:Do you have the tape BTW?
Yeah, but it's kinda long and for some reason it stopped recording at [2]03:01...Holger???:oops: So I don't know if it recorded the rest of the tape or not...I could still save, though. :?
Alan wrote:Just thought, did you save your game before the bug? I mean, can you load your game again and re-enter the room so its OK, or does it crash again? I'm guessing you never saved afterthe bug because that would be a bit silly......

I would try reloading and kill all the [spoiler]zombies, but I saved when returning to the room because I didn't know about the bug until I had already left the amulet room the first time.[/spoiler] I'll be sure to check out the level that you PM'd me to see if I can replicate it.

[EDIT]
I tried your debug level and I can't reproduce it again. Did you fix anything ? Funny how it works when you haven't been playing that long. :lol:
Last edited by RTADash on Tue Sep 18, 2007 10:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Those who can't learn will teach; those who can't teach will learn.
Alan

Post by Alan »

I tried your debug level and I can't reproduce it again. Did you fix anything ? Funny how it works when you haven't been playing that long.
Tell me about it! :wink:

Nope, I didn't fix anything.....this is exactly why its so hard to playtest these type of levels. So I'm just going to chalk this one up as "freak random occurrence" ;-) So long as you save every so often it wont kill the game in the long run! (this is Holger's advice)
RTADash

Post by RTADash »

I'll let you know if it happens to occur again. I can probably knock an hour or more off my game time, now that I know what I'm doing.
RTADash

Post by RTADash »

Well, I've finished now (only took 2 1/3 hours this time).

[spoiler]
That was fun!
As for the ending, though, I have to be honest - It was cool at first but then it got redundant after a few amulets. The end scene was a little heart-warming, seeing all those characters.
[/spoiler]

Just my thoughts... :)
Last edited by RTADash on Tue Sep 18, 2007 10:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Holger
Site Admin

Post by Holger »

Please!! No spoilers anymore! There are people (including me) who haven't completed (or even played) Zelda II yet, so just telling what happens is really bad to others! If you want to report bugs or discuss technical details (or compare the coolness factor of end screens), please open a new thread with a big spoiler warning!

(About the comment regarding the game's ending, which I haven't seen yet: Please think twice before criticising things that people put hours and hours of work into, just to give fun and pleasure to you! Haven't seen that many R'n'D level sets with cool endings so far... Remember that reporting a technical problem that can/should be fixed is something completely different. I don't want to discuss this any further here (please use PM instead, if needed) -- just something to think about, maybe.)

Thanks for friendly consideration. :)
RTADash

Post by RTADash »

The first one was just a potential warning, because I didn't want anyone else to have that happen...I tried to be as vague as possible about the ending, let me know if I spilled to much info about it...I don't always read my stuff carefully and I can put another spoiler tag in. :wink: [EDIT - already did]
Nathan H.

Post by Nathan H. »

I finished the whole thing without cheating. Very good, easier then the first one, but my tape is around 3 1/2 hours long!
Holger
Site Admin

Post by Holger »

Finally I solved it!!! Wow! That was really great playing! :-) :-) :-)

My tape is 03:57:21 -- woah, nearly four hours! :-o :-)

Without telling too much, I would say that the main part was easier, but the end part was quite hard (but I'm not a trained video game player, so others may find it a bit easier). Maybe it was harder for me because I missed about three strength enhancers and therefore was weaker than needed. :-o

Wow again -- incredibly great work and a lot of fun for hours of playing! And all that in only one single R'n'D level! This is really cool! (BTW: The level file is only a few bytes smaller than the entire RAM memory of the Commodore 64!)

It's also fascinating to see what can be done by using a relatively small set of generic functionality that was created with simple Emerald Mine style game elements in mind! :-o :-)

Among the things I like best about Zelda II are the well-chosen music tracks for the different parts of the world that create an ambience that fits to the surroundings (also over the time of the game, when the environment changes). Also very impressive is the animation of the player, with all the different kinds of walking (and not only walking ;-) ) at different places, and also the many weapons, the weapon inventory system and the animation of weapon usage! Especially cool is the "text system" (talking to people and animals) -- who said he would need more envelopes? ;-) (In fact this is really a strength of Zelda II, that there is not only the player fighting against endless hordes of monsters, but also a lot of different kinds of creatures which populate the world, and to which the player can get into contact to -- not only for giving the needed hints for playing, but also to give life to the game world and fun to the game (especially from the funny comments of those creatures which are not necessarily needed to solve the game)!

Not too many words about the game's ending: I think it fits well into the game and story, and is also very well done (both graphically and ... technically :) ).

All in all: A new milestone in R'n'D level creating, and a great demonstration of what can be done with the current R'n'D game engine and the new menu and game panel customisation possibilities added to R'n'D 3.2.4! And not to forget: Simply a great game to play -- I really enjoyed it! :-)
RTADash

Post by RTADash »

Holger wrote:All in all: A new milestone in R'n'D level creating, and a great demonstration of what can be done with the current R'n'D game engine and the new menu and game panel customisation possibilities added to R'n'D 3.2.4! And not to forget: Simply a great game to play -- I really enjoyed it! :-)
I agree...seriously! The end was really the only part I had any qualms about. :wink:
Alan

Post by Alan »

BTW: The level file is only a few bytes smaller than the entire RAM memory of the Commodore 64!)
But the single 8-bit "world.PCX" is larger than the RAM from my first PC! :-D

Anyways, thanks everybody!

Interesting that everbody has a similar game time (for the 1st play anyway)
Nathan H.

Post by Nathan H. »

>>Post may be spoiler. Press quote button to view post anyway.<<

[size=0]
I also missed many strength enhancers, only found 4 before near the end, when I found eventually 2 more. At first I thought the end was near hopeless, but the I discovered the ghost's contents.[/size]
Civhai

Post by Civhai »

Can you tell me where the map is? I searched the whole village three times but I only found two chests with speed boots in it. Can you tell me where the map is?