New here with 70 fields ! and a question about lives"..

All about creating levels and level sets, custom elements and custom artwork.

Moderators: Flumminator, Zomis

Detres

New here with 70 fields ! and a question about lives"..

Post by Detres »

Hello all,

Iam new here and find when surfing this forum, I made last 2 months 70 new fields, i think very good ones. ( especially the last ones!) But i have a question, when you're dead, is it not possible to get like Pacman a new live instead of starting a field all over again? 9 or more lives? If any of you is intrested to play my field let me know how i can give them?!

Regards Detro
Alan

Post by Alan »

Hi Detres,

You can make anything you want to in Rocks'n'Diamonds using its custom elements (CEs), lives or even health are possible. Speaking of which, I've actually made pac-man with RnDs (it's around here somewhere)

There's a great new manual here, which should help you get started:- http://www.artsoft.org/rocksndiamonds/manual/

A good way to learn stuff is to look at other people's levels, I recommend Jue1:- http://www.artsoft.org/rocksndiamonds/levels.html

As for sharing your levels, you can upload them to Zomis' archive so we can all play them:- http://www.zomis.net/rnd/

Have fun!

*edit*

Actually, 70 levels is quite a lot of work..... you should send them to Holger so they'll be added to the 2007 level contributions when it comes out.
Detres

Re

Post by Detres »

Hello Alan,

Thanks for your answer, i must look carefully how i can do that ( lives) Mayby you can help to tell me how i can do that ( give a extra lives within a field, because especially my last levels are complicated and since they are so big you will definitly be dead before you once get the end ;-) As for my levels, i will try to look how i can share them with you, since i knew Boulder dash from the Com64 I think i made good challence levels, especially the late ones witch i think the best player will have trouble with them! :-)

Regards Detro
Zomis

Post by Zomis »

Hello and Welcome, Detres.

I think you mainly need to look into these two FAQ entries
How can I save a game? and How can I share my own levels with other people?

With the quicksave and quickload functions, adding lives to a level using Custom Element techniques is usually unneccessary. With the "Instant snapshot" feature, implemented in Rocks'n'Diamonds version 3.2.2, it goes faster to reload a game than to blink an eye! But if you'd like to add lives anyways, I suggest you start to play around with Custom Elements (they can't do any harm to your computer or anything else), and then use the following:
A CE with a CE Value of the number of lives you want, and then decrease the CE Value by one for each explosion of player 1, and the CE also recreates the player on that explosion. When CE Value reaches zero, the CE changes to empty space. (This text is probably not easy to understand for a CE newbie, but probably very understandable for many experienced CE users here).