Educational Games

All about creating levels and level sets, custom elements and custom artwork.

Moderators: Flumminator, Zomis

atp cloud

Post by atp cloud »

BTW:DarbCal,I know you've been here in a few days.Maybe you should know more about RND.If you were wondering about downloading someone's levels,go to www.bd-fans.com ,and get a tutorial because you're new :D
Jannik

Post by Jannik »

Just my 2 cents:
Learning should be as much fun as possible.
If you just replace the chalkboard with a monitor and keep writing down a dull formula (x+y=), I don't think it becomes a better way of teaching.
It's quite the opposite: it's more complicated to collect the solution CEs and remember the sequence of collecting and understand the inverse sequence of dropping them. Couldn't that confuse 7-8 years old kids :?: Don't know ...

Maybe you should try to keep the RnD gameplay in it (especially the funny elements like bugs, dynamite, coloured keys and doors, diamonds, falling rocks, bombs, coconuts, yamyams, robots, ...).
What about levels like this (just some examples in a hurry): TeachMe.zip

Btw: What a pity that you haven't been my math teacher when I was young! :wink:
DarbCal

Post by DarbCal »

Thanks for the input guys.

Apt cloud, I have visited there and downloaded tons of levelsets. That is what started my thinking about the educational potential of RnD. Also, I did a lot of searching for possible levelsets like this before I posted to this forum.

Jannik, I agree with what you are saying. If we use technology for the sake of using technology, then we have gained nothing. Also, we have created the opportunity for the disdain of technology. It is much easier to nurture the love for learning than it is to recreate it because a child and/or teacher lost it.

For starting out, I think the game should just present x+y= so that the child learns the steps to do this. (I am trying to reinforce math facts in a fun and entertaining way. Not teach it, just reinforce what has occurred in the classroom before.) Once this is accomplished and mastered (very simple, but it will take a few levels as I don't want a child to feel frustrated), then the more fun aspects may be introduced.

I enjoyed your levels, Jannik. They included some things that I didn't think of.

And that's my 2 cents and as always I appreciate the discussion,
Cal