Zelda for RND

All about creating levels and level sets, custom elements and custom artwork.

Moderators: Flumminator, Zomis

Francesco

Post by Francesco »

I've just got all the sword pieces, it took one entire hour of continuous play, but I have cheated a lot, so it has no value.

I have not all that patience and constance, and I was curious to see the rooms, so I edited the map ;)

I've got killed pretty soon after that I got all the sword pieces, so now I'll put them all in the first section, then I'll get to the podium to see the end of the game... hope there will be some nice animation to see :P

[Edit: just got the animation I was looking for... very well done, Alan. In a first moment, I thought that you added some kind of cheat-protection, because I had to struggle a lot before finding the first piece of sword, well, it all worked fine ;) Sorry for cheating :P]
Anyway, by the way, have fun!
Francesco
Alan

Post by Alan »

>Sorry for cheating

No worries, this kind of game isn't everybodys cup of tea.
The first map I made was twice the size of this one......just as well I scaled it down a bit.

>I've just got all the sword pieces, it took one entire hour of continuous >play, but I have cheated a lot, so it has no value.

You can just dump all four sword bits in the game area (shoes and weapon 10) and make the next screen to the right the pedastal.... It's how I tested most of it.
Tomi

Post by Tomi »

And btw I was right - it's *much* easier when you don't have to go through 33 rooms full of difficult monsters on the end. (The first time I played it, I took sword piece from room 174 last. How surprising they killed me before I got to the exit.)

Now I just have to discover that "secret" that was mentioned in soundsinfo, if I recall correctly.
Alan

Post by Alan »

Now I just have to discover that "secret" that was mentioned in soundsinfo, if I recall correctly.
:wink:

It's my favorite jingle of all time and used in all the Zelda games....... usually followed by something nice.
Holger
Site Admin

Post by Holger »

> > Finally! I did it!!! Really nice level btw, very probably the best one I know
> > for RnD. I really liked it.
> >
> > I wonder if I'm the first? Anyone won it before me?

> Yes you're the first......I think Holger was near but gave up to do
> something with the tape system.

Of course I did not gave up on it! ;-)

You're right that I made a break to optimize the tape reloading system, adding "instant engine snapshots". After that worked, I finished the level! :-)

(Don't know anymore if it was on Friday night or early Saturday morning, so maybe I wasn't the first who solved it. :-) )

> > Now I just have to discover that "secret" that was mentioned in
> > soundsinfo, if I recall correctly.
> It's my favorite jingle of all time and used in all the Zelda games.......
> usually followed by something nice.

I think I missed that, too! :-o

Still have to find out what to do to trigger this secret... :-)
Zomis

Post by Zomis »

Holger wrote:You're right that I made a break to optimize the tape reloading system, adding "instant engine snapshots". After that worked, I finished the level! :-)
Didn't I tell you NOT to cheat? ;) Pleeeaase, give us that too!! Release 3.2.2 NOW! :D
Holger
Site Admin

Post by Holger »

> Didn't I tell you NOT to cheat?

Well, at least I promised to also give you all the new tools to cheat by yourself! ;-)

>Pleeeaase, give us that too!! Release 3.2.2 NOW!

I nearly would have released 3.2.2 the same day Zelda was released (well, one day later). But the tapes created when using these engine snapshots were broken, so I had to fix this first. Directly after it finally seemed to work (and I solved Zelda), I had to go to a wedding of a friend for the rest of the weekend. Now that I'm back I hear that it's impossible to solve Sokoban levels with the new 3.2.1 (and also "solve level" by CE actions)), so I have to fix this major bug first!

As soon as it's fixed, you will get it as 3.2.2 immediately! :-)

Will almost definitely be this week, probably today or tomorrow (I hope).
James

A golden Rockford should be given to this levelset !

Post by James »

Really nice game, Alan. :D
Sorry i didn´t post before, i was on vacation. 8)
Francesco wrote:Whoa... cool! Couldn't it be less addictive?
Im completly agree with you ! I only "showed" it a sec to a friend and he spended half an hour playing ! :o
Alan

Post by Alan »

Thanks James,

I just wish I'd spent more time on the graphics now (making my own), oh well.

When (or if) RnDs ever has info that can pass from level to level then I'd do a full proper version because it was so much fun to make......just imagine having 256 CEs per area! ;-)
Francesco

Post by Francesco »

Yes, the ability to pass info from level to level would be really nice. Then you could make subsequent levels that change depending on the way the first have been solved, and you would also bring on inventory, score and health... very very nice.

Hope Holger will implement something like this: it would be a really big step to make levelsets with a good history - playing them for the second time could result to be completely different!

A little suggestion: I would change the way the "lonesome boss" attacks: if you stay still, it attacks you only once, then you have to move to be hurt again. Way too weak for a "boss". Just stay still and then shoot at it... just one little health point lost.

Normal enemies are really more dangerous than that pumpkin-head, I think you should fix this, Alan.
Francesco
Tomi

Post by Tomi »

I am against the idea of info passing from level to level. Levelsets aren't linear. I don't play levels in order, nor I want to be forced to. For example: the most sane way to implement this seems to be that the data transferred to level N are based on tape of level N-1. But what if I replay level N-2? Should tape of level N-1 also be modified? Etc.

Also look at Battle for Wesnoth. In that game, the player's gold is kept between scenarios. In some scenarios, however, you need much gold to stand a chance against the enemies, and if you don't have needed amounts, you have to load an early savegame and save as much gold as possible. (Note: I didn't experience this myself, just heard it.) I wouldn't like something like this happen to RnD.

Another thought: I just realized that I already attempted to do this with CEs, and it seems to be possible. When player wins level 1, he is given a code that contains transferred data. When he enters level 2, he has to enter the code. If the code isn't valid, he won't be able to play the level.
This should be used carefully, and something like the example from Battle for Wesnoth above shouldn't happen. But this is the method to use IMO, because I disagree with having such feature in RnD. It has to be used wisely. I don't like beach balls that kill on touch (example of CEs that aren't used wisely), but I'd hate not being able to kill bugs after not pressing a button in previous level.
Tomi

Post by Tomi »

I spent few past days trying to make an usable room making technique. Most valuable sources of information are Zelda and Game Inside. Zelda has impressing number of rooms (200+), but they lack in variety. Game Inside has rooms where you can place anything you want, but they aren't half as big and there's only 32 of them.
However, I think that, after some experimenting, I'll be able to combine these two (plus some CE value tricks) to make a technique that produces any number of 15x15 rooms, with only 1 CE per room. I'll post more details when (if) I'll finish it.

P.S. I really want 512 CEs. ;-)
Alan

Post by Alan »

Also look at Battle for Wesnoth. In that game, the player's gold is kept between scenarios.
Reminds me of the 1st C&C game where you kept about 50% of your cash between levels.... the trick was to finish the level and leave one single enemy (walled in) then harvest like crazy..... strangely Westwood dropped this idea in all the other C&C games ;-)
Francesco

Post by Francesco »

You should have missed this one, Alan...
A little suggestion: I would change the way the "lonesome boss" attacks: if you stay still, it attacks you only once, then you have to move to be hurt again. Way too weak for a "boss". Just stay still and then shoot at it... just one little health point lost.

Normal enemies are really more dangerous than that pumpkin-head, I think you should fix this, Alan.
I've finished Zelda in 2 hours of gameplay, killing almost everything on my path and saving around 150 health points when I've reached the pedestal to end the game ;) The average health all along the game was around 250...
Francesco
Martijn

Post by Martijn »

I've also started playing it, cool! But I found a little bug: the letter 'ü' of 'Jürgen Bonhagen' is not supported in the Credits screen...
Visit my Boulder Dash website at:
http://www.bd-fans.com

Watch my avatar! That orange little thing is Murphy, the Supaplex star!