Diamond Cave Levels

Discussion about Rocks'n'Diamonds, Boulder Dash, Supaplex, Emerald Mine and any other BD hybrid.

Moderators: Flumminator, Zomis

SoulCR

Diamond Cave Levels

Post by SoulCR »

Has anyone ever thought of formatting Diamond Caves 1, 2 and 3 for Rocks and Diamonds?
Daniel H.

RE: Diamond Cave Levels

Post by Daniel H. »

That would be nice. It would also be nice if the Diamond Caves III elements were added as standard elements to Rocks 'n' Diamonds.
The H. World levelset can be downloaded from http://www.bd-fans.com/RnD.html -- search The H. World on that page.
SoulCR

Post by SoulCR »

Unfortunately I've never been able to pay for registration so have only played the levels you get on the demo's for Diamond Caves 1 & 2. I wish I knew more about computers etc, so I could find a way to download them and format them for R & D.
Holger
Site Admin

Post by Holger »

> Has anyone ever thought of formatting Diamond Caves 1, 2 and 3 for
> Rocks and Diamonds?

Yes, many people (including me) already had that idea! :-D

Creating "Diamond Caves 1" style levels is no problem, as it has more or less the same elements as Emerald Mine (with a few extra elements, if I remember correctly). For "Diamond Caves II" style levels, there are already most interesting elements avaliable in R'n'D, like conveyor belts etc. (Some of these elements don't have the exact behaviour and need some fixing, though.) The new elements needed to create "Diamond Caves 3" style levels are still missing, that's right.

It would probably be easy to write a little importer to play most DC1/DC2 levels with R'n'D...
Martijn

Post by Martijn »

Holger wrote:It would probably be easy to write a little importer to play most DC1/DC2 levels with R'n'D...
...somewhere in the far future... :D
Something off-topic: how far it the development of the next rnd version?
Visit my Boulder Dash website at:
http://www.bd-fans.com

Watch my avatar! That orange little thing is Murphy, the Supaplex star!
SoulCR

Post by SoulCR »

So Holger, any chance of the Diamond Cave levels showing up any time soon? I realize you are likely busy so totally understand if it doesn't happen any time soon so I will just keep checking back.....hoping......dreaming of a time when I will magically see them in the level sets. :lol:
Holger
Site Admin

Post by Holger »

> ...somewhere in the far future...

Yeah, right... ;-)

> Something off-topic: how far it the development of the next rnd version?

Umm, well... See the "Announcements" section! :-/
Holger
Site Admin

Post by Holger »

> So Holger, any chance of the Diamond Cave levels showing up any time soon?

Probably not that soon, but maybe sooner that expected.

BTW: Are the Diamond Caves level sets in ".dc2" format still available somewhere on the web? It seems that the new ".dc3" format is a bit harder to decipher than the old ".dc2" format... ;-)
SoulCR

Post by SoulCR »

Shoot, I had all the DC1 and DC2 levels on my last hard drive. It crashed and we couldn't get any of the info off of it. I'll do some searching and see if I can find it somewhere.

Do you have copyright laws that you follow?
Holger
Site Admin

Post by Holger »

> Do you have copyright laws that you follow?

Of course I respect copyright laws! (Or what did you mean?)

What I meant was that a future version of R'n'D might contain code that allows loading of Diamond Caves levels, not necessarily that it directly contains these level sets. That's why I asked if they are still around somewhere for people to download.

As far as I know, the many level sets available for Diamond Caves are copyrighted by their respective creators/authors, but not by the creator of the game Diamond Caves, even if they are provided on the same web site (just like the "Contributions" level sets for R'n'D, which are not copyrighted by Artsoft, but by their authors, and are only distributed by Artsoft with permission of their authors).

Another point is that Diamond Caves does not directly fall into the category of "classic games" (like BD, EM, SP, ...), but is still actively developed/supported/distributed, so it's a different situation here...
SoulCR

Post by SoulCR »

I just didn't want to overstep any boundries. Here is a link to the DC3 levels if it helps.... http://www.diamond-pro.com/games/dc3levelgroup.shtml
HerzAusGold

Post by HerzAusGold »

Replace the "3" in the link with "2" and you get what you want.
And the answer is ... 42 !
Holger
Site Admin

Post by Holger »

Works fine -- thanks! :-)