Boulder Dash levelsets - identical?

Discussion about Rocks'n'Diamonds, Boulder Dash, Supaplex, Emerald Mine and any other BD hybrid.

Moderators: Flumminator, Zomis

Martijn

Boulder Dash levelsets - identical?

Post by Martijn »

Hello everyone,

I have many Boulder Dash games (levelsets) for the Commodore 64 on my PC. I downloaded them.

But there are many of the same levelsets among them. For example, these are all the same levelsets:

- AFL Boulderdash (1987)(Blockheads & No-One).d64
- AFL Boulderdash (1987)(Blockheads & No-One)[a].d64
- AFL Boulderdash (1987)(Blockheads & No-One)[a2].d64
- AFL Boulderdash (1987)(Blockheads & No-One)[a3].d64
- AFL Boulderdash (1987)(Blockheads & No-One)[a4].d64

Could anyone please tell me what's the difference between them?

(I need to know this, because I am going to put them all on my site.)
Visit my Boulder Dash website at:
http://www.bd-fans.com

Watch my avatar! That orange little thing is Murphy, the Supaplex star!
Holger
Site Admin

Post by Holger »

Although I haven't really checked them, I think that they are just slightly different versions of the same levelsets, and, as the naming convention looks like TOSEC disks, they are all put into the archive to provide the "right" version without checking the differences. As long as the binary differs, they are put into the archive with a slightly different name.

It's the same with the TOSEC Emerald Mine disks -- there are also many disks with unique levels. I have a little Perl script that sorts out identical sets and only keeps the unique ones.

When I will convert the BD disks, I will run the same script against them, and disks that are the same will be sorted out (even if they have completely different file names).
Martijn

Post by Martijn »

Well, sometimes only the title screen is different (then the name of the cracker is displayed). But I don´t see that as an actual difference.

What I would like to know, is what ´a´ and ´a2´ etc. mean.

But I think that I already know a solution
If the visitors click on the download link of AFL Boulderdash for example, then they will download a zip file containing all these slightly different versions.

bojster

Post by bojster »

Martijn wrote:What I would like to know, is what ´a´ and ´a2´ etc. mean.
It's just a convention of naming used in case there are several versions that differ only slightly (e.g. as you already mentioned, with different name of the cracker or the cracktro etc.), but are essentially the same.

I don't think making a zip file containing all these files is a very good idea, it would only “descend” the confusion you're now dealing with onto the downloader. It seems to me that resolving the matter now and sparing it to the others is a better idea.
Holger
Site Admin

Post by Holger »

> I don't think making a zip file containing all these files is a very good idea,
> it would only "descend" the confusion you're now dealing with onto the
> downloader. It seems to me that resolving the matter now and sparing it
> to the others is a better idea.

I agree here.

I would keep all these slightly different versions in my (your) personal file archive, but select the most "official" (or accurate) version for the downloader. That's what I do with the EMC disks, where there are also many identical ones with different names (sometimes slightly, sometimes completely different). With my script (which compares the level files using MD5 hashes), I sort out the identical sets, to minimise the probability that the player encounters identical levels later in the final EMC collection (which is hard enough as there are many "re-compilations" which contain levels from many different EMC disks (like the "Pacmine/Pacminia" series with new artwork), which I will keep).
Martijn

Post by Martijn »

I see. Yes, then the downloader will have the confusion.

Then I will keep the most accurate version for the downloader if he clicks on the levelset (BD game) name. But because I really want a very complete review, don't you think it would be a good idea to make another column or so in the download table with 'other published versions (without difference)' and then a zip file containing the remaining versions (except the most accurate one, which is downloaded when you click on the title)?

In this case, I can provide really everything (at least, as far as I know), without bringing confusion to the downloader.

The only levelsets (games) I'm not going to provide as a download (I only mention them) , are the commercial ones, to avoid problems. But are there any other commercial levelsets besides Boulder Dash, Boulder Dash II, Boulder Dash III, the Boulder Dash Construction Kit (and Rockford)? All the other versions (Boulder Dash 04 etc.) were never officially published, according to http://www.gamebase64.com/search.php?f= ... 1&d=45&a=0

So do you know of any other Boulder Dash game that is illegal to offer as a download for free? Otherwise I will just put them all on my site.

Holger
Site Admin

Post by Holger »

> In this case, I can provide really everything (at least, as far as I know),
> without bringing confusion to the downloader.

Yes, I think what you described is indeed the best solution (for those who easily want to find a certain game, and for those who want to have all variants of a file to make the comparisons by themselves).