Some news from the Files Archive...

Discussion about Rocks'n'Diamonds, Boulder Dash, Supaplex, Emerald Mine and any other BD hybrid.

Moderators: Flumminator, Zomis

Zomis

Some news from the Files Archive...

Post by Zomis »

Recently, I've implemented 2 new things on the RND Files Archive

You can now see a Download Log for all your downloaded files. This requires that you are logged in and have some files that has been downloaded, of course.

You can now also massdownload ALL of a category's or user's levels directly. Do this by going to the info page for a category or user and press the "Massdownload link".
The files will be compressed into a directory in a .tar.gz file. All the single-level files (*.level) will be put in a seperate directory together with an auto-generated levelinfo.conf file. With this massdownloader, the download counts for the files will probably increase faster. (A check is still done though to prevent people from incrementing the download count on purpose)

Unfortunately, the player's or category's levelgroups will not be unzipped and ready to use, you must unzip these yourself. I do hope, however, that one day the files archive can check the format of all zip files and see what it contains, to decide if it should create a levelgroup for the zip-file, or include the zip-file together with another or something... all that is a project for the future. I don't know if or when it will be avalible, but I hope it will be some day.

I can also let you know that since this Tuesday February 25th 20:00 CET the files archive has had:
100 downloads
6 users signed in (Zomis, Ryan, Tomi, Sascha, HerzAusGold, Francesco)
6 new votes
2 new files

A statistics page for the files archive will probably come later. I don't know when, but it will come :)
So, keep on using the files archive :)
HerzAusGold

Post by HerzAusGold »

It's only count the downloads of the ID. Not of the file itselfs.
*edit* like you mentioned.
But for deleted files too.. is this necessary? I don't like such statistics.
And the answer is ... 42 !
Zomis

Post by Zomis »

HerzAusGold wrote:It's only count the downloads of the ID. Not of the file itselfs.
*edit* like you mentioned.
But for deleted files too.. is this necessary? I don't like such statistics.
What do you mean is the difference between download and ID? Yes, it's possible to update a file. And no, the old statistics isn't cleared. But one download count is resetted for each update. And it's also possible (since a couple of weeks ago) to see the history for a file - if (and when) it has been updated.

Ah, that's true. Statistics for deleted files aren't much use. Fixed that now.
Francesco

Re: Some news from the Files Archive...

Post by Francesco »

Very useful addons, Zomis, good work and also good plans for adding more stuff.

Just noticed that there is something wrong in the count of DL. The overall log for Series was 40, now it's counting 39 -- I'm pretty sure, but I could recall wrong.

By the way, I think it should be better to log as downloaded only the successfully completed ones (at this moment, if you start a DL and then you cancel it, the DL will be added to the stats) -- well, not so sure, maybe you have already fixed it.

:arrow: :arrow: :arrow:
Anyway, by the way, have fun!
Francesco
HerzAusGold

Post by HerzAusGold »

Yes, it's possible to update a file. And no, the old statistics isn't cleared
Yep, I meant it in such a way.
ID 421 is downloaded 45 times, rndTest10 (the file) only 13 times.
But you mentioned this comes later.
Sorry for my pretty bad english.
*edit*
btw. i suppose that resume download is not supported. (I have tried this with curl - but download starts from beginning)
*edit2*
Ah an automatic mail if new stuff is uploaded in a categorie (choosed in profile) - may be with stuff inherit (also from profile) - would be nice.
And the answer is ... 42 !
Zomis

Re: Some news from the Files Archive...

Post by Zomis »

Francesco wrote:Very useful addons, Zomis, good work and also good plans for adding more stuff.

Just noticed that there is something wrong in the count of DL. The overall log for Series was 40, now it's counting 39 -- I'm pretty sure, but I could recall wrong.

By the way, I think it should be better to log as downloaded only the successfully completed ones (at this moment, if you start a DL and then you cancel it, the DL will be added to the stats) -- well, not so sure, maybe you have already fixed it.

:arrow: :arrow: :arrow:
Thank you Francesco :)
Yes, the DL count can be confusing. But I have actually an explanation for this.
In the beginning of the RNDFA, I cleared the downloadslog table every once in a while, but I still let the downloadscount stored together with the file information remain. This caused the statistics for some files be unequal (downloadslog table vs. downloadcount with the file information). On most pages, you see only the downloadcount number, not the actual count stored in the downloadslog table.
And also, some rows have been deleted from the downloadslog table afterwards, without synchronizing the downloadscount number.
Hope you understand what I'm rabbling about :) Basically: The downloadscount are stored in 2 different ways, one table and one value together with the file information.

Unfortunately, I don't think counting only finished downloads is a possibility. :(
HerzAusGold wrote:Yep, I meant it in such a way.
ID 421 is downloaded 45 times, rndTest10 (the file) only 13 times.
But you mentioned this comes later.
Sorry for my pretty bad english.
*edit*
btw. i suppose that resume download is not supported. (I have tried this with curl - but download starts from beginning)
*edit2*
Ah an automatic mail if new stuff is uploaded in a categorie (choosed in profile) - may be with stuff inherit (also from profile) - would be nice.
Ah, yes. Since it's possible to update the files, it becomes a problem here. I've decided to copy the downloadscount to another place (which isn't visible yet) and reset the downloadscount and keep the downloadslog. If you see in the History of the file (shown in info.php) you see that the old files was downloaded 15 and 18 times. Then 13+15+18 = 46. The reason it's 46 and not 45 is probably that one row has been deleted from the downloadscount table for some reason - either because of a oubvious fake download (bot) or debugging mistake :)

And speaking of bots, in the beginning all bots downloading files where counted - this is probably an explaination why RNDTool 1.4 has 155 downloads. Since a year ago or something, no bots are counted anymore. Some checks are done on the IP to make sure that it isn't a bot. (Some might get through that check anyways, but I believe it catches most of them).

Resume download is probably not supported, no.

Automatic mails and stuff has been planned for a while. I know it's possible, and I will try to implement it soon.

Btw: I hope you have seen that there are 2 different kinds of tables, one sortable by clicking the heads (used on Categories, Downloads Log, and Member List), and one not-sortable in the same way (used on Index, Info, Search). I plan to make all tables sortable with heads, and hopefully also filterable one day. I don't know if those sortable tables work in all browsers, but I hope they do (they use JavaScript).
Zomis

Post by Zomis »

More news: From now on, you can see the contents filenames for zip-files at the info.php page.

I think a better massdownloader will come soon.. I can't promise when though :roll: :wink:
Holger
Site Admin

Post by Holger »

Nice work! The file archive is getting better and better... :-)
Zomis

Post by Zomis »

Sorry for bumping an old thread up, but I thought this was better than to start a new "News for the Files Archive"-thread.

From now on, you can post a referer-url when uploading a file, this can be a link to a thread on the forum, or whatever.

And now also, you can view a level (unfortunately no custom graphics or CE-"use graphic of" supported), but I think it's kinda nice anyways, for example, check these:
http://www.zomis.net/rnd/show.php?file=549
http://www.zomis.net/rnd/show.php?file=523
http://www.zomis.net/rnd/show.php?file=28 (Biggest level I could find...)

And the current statistics are...
Number of downloads last 24 hours: 20
downloads this year (233.59 days): 7029 (30.09 average)
downloads this month (21.63 days): 456 (21.08 average)
downloads last 7 days: 113 (16.14 average)
New uploads last 7 days: 8 (1.14 average)

That's it for now, more things will come later!
Francesco

Post by Francesco »

Level Preview and Referer Link are two very nice and useful addons, well done!
Francesco
Francesco

Post by Francesco »

One suggestion for your Level Preview:

The pages can be quite heavy to load for a dial-up user. You can cut significantly the html size.

You could use a style tag in the head section and put there something like this:

Code: Select all

br {float: left; clear: both;}
div.E {float: left; height: 32px; width: 32px;}
.G000 {background: url('000.gif');}
.G001 {background: url('001.gif');}
[...]
Then using relative classes in this way:

Code: Select all

<div class="E G000"></div>
and breaking lines of elements with a simple "<br>" you could avoid all the duplicate URLs and all the positioning values.

You would also set a fitting body size, otherwise the lines could be split at screen size, I'm not so sure about this, anyway.

Since it's all scripted, you could also automate the style-rules lists, to avoid setting a rule for a unused class.
Francesco
Zomis

Post by Zomis »

Francesco wrote:One suggestion for your Level Preview:

The pages can be quite heavy to load for a dial-up user. You can cut significantly the html size.
Yes, I'm also aware about that...:( But I think most browsers caches the images to load it more quickly. (Edit: But well... that's only for images... a 128x128 level is on more than 2 MB HTML... yikes!)
So any suggestions on how to lower the HTML size is very welcomed!
Unfortunately, I'm not so good at CSS so could you describe that solution a little bit more? Will the images be absolutely positioned with that solution? (absolute positioning is what I use to prevent new lines on huge maps)

Btw, level preview is now also possible for files within zipped archives!
For example:
http://www.zomis.net/rnd/show.php?file= ... /001.level
http://www.zomis.net/rnd/show.php?file= ... /006.level
http://www.zomis.net/rnd/show.php?file= ... /001.level
Daniel H.

Post by Daniel H. »

I like having the "Referrer URL," but I would like the ability to add one to the files that I have already uploaded.

Could this option please be added to "Manage Files?" :)
(I assume that it was going to be added there eventually, anyway ;) )
The H. World levelset can be downloaded from http://www.bd-fans.com/RnD.html -- search The H. World on that page.
Zomis

Post by Zomis »

Daniel H. wrote:Could this option please be added to "Manage Files?" :)
(I assume that it was going to be added there eventually, anyway ;) )
Oh, of course! I just forgot that :oops: Thanks for pointing that out for me! Fixed now!
Francesco

Post by Francesco »

Well, not so much to change from the notes above, moreover a tweak to let it work in Internet Explorer too.

Take a look to this example:
http://www.zomis.net/rnd/download.php?id=552

It will work on all mayor browsers.

BTW: it's a 50x50 map, and it's only 64KB!

I've commented it a bit, feel free to ask if you need further informations.
Francesco