Unused graphics

Discussion about Rocks'n'Diamonds, Boulder Dash, Supaplex, Emerald Mine and any other BD hybrid.

Moderators: Flumminator, Zomis

Rockford4ever

Unused graphics

Post by Rockford4ever »

There are some unused graphics in R'n'D... In RocksHeroes.pcx I see some unused mole sprites: a very small mole walking right, sprites of a mole blowing himself up and an angel mole. (And don't I know these graphics?! The game is also by Karl Hörnell, who made the toons for R'n'D!) In the same file, under the acid drips there are some stars... also I see some starry shields under the normal?!
In RocksDX.pcx I see something that looks like a tube, but it is in a red rectangle... it's next to the pixeled time coin.
There also is a small color pallette on the bottom-right corner of RocksFontSmall.pcx.
And check out RocksSP.pcx... There are Murphy yawning sprites (player.bored? ;) ) and sprites of base and infotrons being snapped (unused too, but they could be inplemented!) Next to the pixeled keys there is a sprite of Murphy falling asleep, and right of that there is an silver ball... never seen that!
Also in RocksMore.pcx I see something like a mask for the sand being digged... it's red.
In RocksElements.pcx: Next to the grey doors there are sprites of a brown door opening (MirrorMagic?) And right of the acid pool there is a smiley...:D
In the bottom-right corner there is a pixeled smiley this time, 80's Rockford and a lock (MirrorMagic again??) Above the sattelite, we have that grey ball again. Much things unused!
_Darkon

Post by _Darkon »

And you need help with this how...?

Id say its pretty useful that theres a few unused graphics, means theres potential for some nice new CE's without the need of making new graphics.
Rockford4ever

Post by Rockford4ever »

Darkon wrote:And you need help with this how...?

Id say its pretty useful that theres a few unused graphics, means theres potential for some nice new CE's without the need of making new graphics.
Okay... I just noticed them. And I did'nt know where to put this anyway. It's not a bug, and I'm actually not really wanting help. Maybe it could be in General Discussion. But maybe Holger could add the Supaplex snapping base/infotron sprites... Sorry if I'm being stupid here! :(
asiekierka

Post by asiekierka »

Holger, please make a use of that graphics!
GraphicsPack project: 90%
IconXT project: 100% (version final is ready)
Darkon

Post by Darkon »

You weren’t being stupid; you just had me a little confused since you'd posted it in the help section however its been moved now (presumably by some mysterious unknown force of nature). As Holger has stated in the past, some of the *other* elements have their graphics borrowed from various web games with the game creators permissions.

And ive always wondered about that rockford actually :-p
Care to enlighten us Holger?
Holger
Site Admin

Post by Holger »

> Care to enlighten us Holger?

Well, there are no big secrets. ;-)

Most are just left-overs from editing and adding stuff, like the toons borrowed from Karl Hörnell.

> In the same file, under the acid drips there are some stars...

These are the stars used for the gem twinkle effect -- look at some emeralds and wait a bit, then you'll see them!

> also I see some starry shields under the normal?!

Yes... Wasn't sure which ones to use...

> In RocksDX.pcx I see something that looks like a tube, but it is in a red
> rectangle... it's next to the pixeled time coin.

Also some left-over graphics from editing...

> And check out RocksSP.pcx... There are Murphy yawning sprites
> (player.bored? ) and sprites of base and infotrons being snapped
> (unused too, but they could be inplemented!) Next to the pixeled keys
> there is a sprite of Murphy falling asleep,

These belong to Supaplex animations, right, and should be added to the game. (At last when it's time for the SP engine enhancements!)

> and right of that there is an silver ball... never seen that!

Oh... Interesting... :-)

> Also in RocksMore.pcx I see something like a mask for the sand being
> digged... it's red.

Yep. Some day far in the future, you will be able to define a digging animation by specifying such a mask, together with a base graphic (like sand). If you then have 20 kinds of slightly different sand and one series of generic digging/crumbled masks, you can use it for all these sand types, without the need of a digging and crumbled animation for each kind of sand.

> In RocksElements.pcx: Next to the grey doors there are sprites of a
> brown door opening (MirrorMagic?)

Yep, right -- these come from MirrorMagic!

> And right of the acid pool there is a smiley...

See R'n'D version 0.9 -- this was our hero in this early version! (There was even no soft-scrolling these days...)

> In the bottom-right corner there is a pixeled smiley this time, 80's
> Rockford and a lock (MirrorMagic again??)

Yup...

> Above the sattelite, we have that grey ball again. Much things unused!

Just use it for your own CEs (but don't expect it to stay there forever).

> But maybe Holger could add the Supaplex snapping base/infotron
> sprites...

I'll do! :-)

>Sorry if I'm being stupid here!

No, you aren't! :-)

> And ive always wondered about that rockford actually :-p

Just a little tribute to the game that starts it all... :-)