Transparent zip support with zomis file archive

Discussion about Rocks'n'Diamonds, Boulder Dash, Supaplex, Emerald Mine and any other BD hybrid.

Moderators: Flumminator, Zomis

HerzAusGold

Transparent zip support with zomis file archive

Post by HerzAusGold »

Hi,
transparent zip support is now ready for use.
Look to "Programmer Corner".

But this is not all...
I upload the surprise I promise..

Now Zomis have his own option in rndTest.
You can download the corresponding file and play it.
(The file should be a zip and follow the directory structure rules).

http://www.zomis.net/rnd/download.php?id=421

For simple download type:
> rndTest08 -zomis=413

For download and start:
> rndTest08 -zomis=413 -nextseries=Series

For download and start without menu.
> rndTest08 -zomis=413 -nextseries=Series -gameatwork

Of course you can combine this with the other options described
in hag_readme.txt.

And you can play a sokoban with mouse clicks
> rndTest08 -sokomode=1 -nextseries=HerzAusGold

Report any suggestion or bugs here.
Have fun.. 8)
And the answer is ... 42 !
Zomis

Post by Zomis »

(Moved thread to General Discussion)

Wow, HerzAusGold, I am truly impressed :D It actually works :)
It would be even more great if you could implement some kind of option to download single level-files from the archive, and then place them in a directory for playability.. But should the option really be called "zomis"? maybe "rndfa" would be a better idea? Just thinking...

And also, when downloading a file from the archive, what if the user doesn't know the name of the leveldirectory inside? Then it would be good to have an option for starting to play the last-downloaded series, whatever that would be.

And by the way... do you want all those old rndTest versions saved on the archive? I suggest that you go to "Manage files" and click on "Manage" for the last uploaded rndTest-version, and then upload a new version. This way, it will be the same downloadlink for all the new versions.
If you want, I can delete the old rndTest-versions from the archive, or you can do it yourself by going to "Manage files". But if you want them all to stay, I will let them stay.
HerzAusGold

Post by HerzAusGold »

It would be even more great if you could implement some kind of option to download single level-files from the archive, and then place them in a directory for playability..
You get right, this is my next step.
The actually is only the beginning (and a quick hack) ...
But should the option really be called "zomis"? maybe "rndfa" would be a better idea? Just thinking...
In the next version I want rename it to -url= with a conf-File aso.
(for proxy and other information)
And also, when downloading a file from the archive, what if the user doesn't know the name of the leveldirectory inside? Then it would be good to have an option for starting to play the last-downloaded series, whatever that would be.
Yep this is usefull - But there should be some naming conventions for the
series identifier.

For the filename or other info we can read your info page (what is actually done for the filename - because this is a easy way to get it) - may be a series identifier there were useful - just a thougth.

Or - with the author name I can make an folder for each author.

But I can this figure out all from the zip file (levelinfo.conf).

btw: the zip file is stored on your system (in 'levtmps')
We can also add a option 'delete after close'.
do you want all those old rndTest versions saved on the archive?
Do you really took a look on it - I delete old versions, only 07 and 08 is there.

Post by Guest »

HerzAusGold, this is all really impressive work!!! :-o

Please forgive me that I wasn't able to test it earlier (haven't tested under Windows before, but only looked at the source code under Unix) -- I have now run and tested it under Windows XP. That special Sokoban mode is really impressive!! A whole new experience when playing Sokoban levels, really! Very easy to use, and a lot of fun! :-o :-)

When I think about it, this Sokoban mouse mode could also be used for all other R'n'D levels as well! Moving through/over anything walkable and diggable, dropping things with the right mouse button, snapping with the left mouse button (pressing at the player tile and then moving to the direction to snap, or some similar solution).

When using this, it seems that I sometimes ran into minor bugs -- the player did not stop moving then (well, hitting a lamp and still trying to move on). In most cases, the player was stuck at the left side of the level and didn't want to move anymore -- sometimes it was even impossible to move on using the keyboard. Have you also encountered this problem, or is this a problem that only occurs on my system?

The download feature using the cURL library is really cool (although I wasn't able to to get it to work right now -- tried with the example command lines from your initial post, but without success)! This is something that was indeed planned for a long time for R'n'D -- I think Flumminator suggested it some (long) time ago. The ultimate solution for this would be a level set selection screen that always offers each and every level set that is available for R'n'D, always up to date, by fetching a level set list at program startup (when it is older than, say, one week), and transparently download the corresponding archives from the web, also extracting it in the background! You have already added the most important parts for such a system with your last version! :-)

This level set list would just contain the canonical level set names (like also used for network games, like "snake_bite", while the verbose name "Snake Bite" is displayed to the user) and the corresponding URL at my site, at Zomis' file archive or Martijn's BD site (or any other site). Keeping this list automatically up to date would be fairly easy. When playing network games, it won't be needed anymore to check if everybody has the corresponding sets installed, as they would simply be downloaded when needed. And submitting network wide highscore entries (with their tape files attached as a "proof" for everyone) would then only be the logical next step! :-)

Lots of cool stuff, lots of inspiration for future features -- again, very, very good work! :-o :-)

Maybe I could add some of it already for one of the next 3.2.x minor releases after the release of 3.2.0! :-)
Holger
Site Admin

Post by Holger »

Oops, seems that I was auto-logged out! :-o
asiekierka

Post by asiekierka »

Holger, you can add it, as next level engine!
GraphicsPack project: 90%
IconXT project: 100% (version final is ready)

Post by Guest »

Holger wrote:
HerzAusGold, this is all really impressive work!!! :-o
Nice to hear this..
Please forgive me that I wasn't able to test it earlier (haven't tested under Windows before,
but only looked at the source code under Unix) --
I have now run and tested it under Windows XP. That special Sokoban mode is really impressive!!
A whole new experience when playing Sokoban levels, really!
Very easy to use, and a lot of fun! :-o :-)
So let me calc - released on Wed Nov 16 - you have some days in your life without fun...(just kidding)

<a href="viewtopic.php?t=582&start=0&postdays=0&postorder=asc&highlight=">Sokoban</a>
When I think about it, this Sokoban mouse mode could also be used for all other R'n'D
levels as well! Moving through/over anything walkable and diggable,
dropping things with the right mouse button,
snapping with the left mouse button (pressing at the player tile and then moving
to the direction to snap, or some similar solution).
Ah, crazy idea..

Ehhh. Do you not played snake bite with it... (click on an empty space)
But be aware the algo is not very clever, using only the shortest way...
Oh. May be a door is usefull to switch this feature on/off.
When using this, it seems that I sometimes ran into minor bugs --
the player did not stop moving then (well, hitting a lamp and still trying to move on).
In most cases, the player was stuck at the left side of the level and didn't want to move anymore
-- sometimes it was even impossible to move on using the keyboard.
Have you also encountered this problem, or is this a problem that only occurs on my system?
Yep this is the nasty bug I mentioned. Click on a wall is may be usefull.

You can try sokomode=3 this is stable (but not taped).
And if you find the bug - I forgive you forever...
The download feature using the cURL library is really cool
(although I wasn't able to to get it to work right now --
tried with the example command lines from your initial post, but without success)!
This is something that was indeed planned for a long time for R'n'D --
I think Flumminator suggested it some (long) time ago.
Upps. I think you have no write access to ("C:\temp"). Sorry - In the next release this is never necessary.
The ultimate solution for this would be a level set selection screen that always offers each
and every level set that is available for R'n'D, always up to date,
by fetching a level set list at program startup (when it is older than, say, one week),
and transparently download the corresponding archives from the web,
also extracting it in the background!
So dont wait make the list and the menu for it (use my list stuff ...
This level set list would just contain the canonical level set names
(like also used for network games, like "snake_bite", while the verbose name "Snake Bite"
is displayed to the user) and the corresponding URL at my site, at Zomis' file archive or
Martijn's BD site (or any other site).
Keeping this list automatically up to date would be fairly easy. When playing network games,
it won't be needed anymore to check if everybody has the corresponding sets installed,
as they would simply be downloaded when needed. And submitting network wide highscore entries
(with their tape files attached as a "proof" for everyone) would
then only be the logical next step! :-)
... with a record which contain all of the things you keep in mind).
Oops, seems that I was auto-logged out! :-o
Yep, this sometimes happen...
HerzAusGold

Post by HerzAusGold »

Murphy's law is very hard...
I logged out even or because I am kidding about this...

And cant edit the post..
Ehhh. Do you not played snake bite with it... (click on an empty space)
Upps, this is only running on my private version :oops:
I think you have no write access to ("C:\temp").
OR at the curl homepage a special version of libcurl for WinXP is out there!
Francesco

Post by Francesco »

I was impressed by the number of downloads of my level "Series", it has reached 30+, but then I took a look to your post...
I did see the file on the FA, but I did't catch that "series" was *my* "Series"... that level doesn't deserve so many downloads, and in fact I think that very few people have actually played it...
Anyway, by the way, have fun!
Francesco
Zomis

Post by Zomis »

Francesco wrote:I was impressed by the number of downloads of my level "Series", it has reached 30+, but then I took a look to your post...
I did see the file on the FA, but I did't catch that "series" was *my* "Series"... that level doesn't deserve so many downloads, and in fact I think that very few people have actually played it...
Well... you know what they say... there's 3 kinds of lies: A lie, a white lie, and statistics. ;)

I have actually played it, but not very much... I found it to be very very hard...
But well... at least you got someone who posted a tape for it, so you know that at least one person has played it :)

Indeed I wish I could get some statistics about how many that have played a level/set... but I can't. But actually... I'm not sure if RndTest's downloads actually is logged to the archive... but I'm guessing that they are. If HerzAusGold is using the normal download.php?id=413 way, then they are...
HerzAusGold

Post by HerzAusGold »

Francesco:

Upps. I didn't think of this effect.
Sorry, about this - but think positive: It's a little pay of attention, because since you enter the forum you never stop posting.
btw: for testing I download your file max. 10 times.

Zomis:
and a 4 lie: the falsified statistics..

But actually... - HeHe you think about an upload ... but it is private data..

The download is done by the normal way. But in the next version it is
configurable. (Only sites you trust).

I have uploaded 2 files for testing rndTest (zip and level) - after testing I delete this.
Next version coming soon.. (I hope).
Francesco

Post by Francesco »

x Zomis:
Well, finally the most impressive thing is that the solution tape has been downloaded 10+ times, even if looking at the tape I've recorded on Asiekierka's Emerald Easy Factory would have been enough :)

x Herz:
If you want you can go on... maybe linking some other file of mines :P :wink:
By the way, thank you for your words!
Anyway, by the way, have fun!
Francesco

HerzAusGold

Post by Guest »

Hi
I upload a new version! Hope I get the same rating again.
Btw. Thanks for this.

http://www.zomis.net/rnd/download.php?id=421

You can now download every thing (series or single levels) !

> rndTest09 -url=rndfa:181

or

> rndtest09 -url=artsoft:BD2K3-1.0.0.zip

or even from any site (you trust)

See "zurl.conf" on folder "levtmps" (up to now, dont find a better place)

---

And of course you can now play Snake_Bite with the mouse.

left mouse button = run to location (if empty) or play sokoban
right mouse button = run to location (empty,diggable,collectable,moveable)

and a very new experience with

> rndTest -sokomode=13 -nextseries=snake_bite

press the right mouse button and the snake follow him. :P

You can test -sokomode=11 or -sokomode=12 but they have the same little bug...(mentioned above)

See hag_readme.txt for details.

In levels with rocks aso. not really playable because the player follows the mouse to slow.

As always, have fun... 8) 8) -- Hei Hei very cool .... me freezes...

btw: I want to send a EM to holger to discuss the bug (in german).
HerzAusGold

HerzAusGold

Post by HerzAusGold »

Last post is from me.
Rockford4ever

Post by Rockford4ever »

I don't want to sound strange, but where do you need to type the arguments? (Like -sokomode and stuff).
I'm running Windows, if you need to know ;)