Snake bite - Discussion

Discussion about Rocks'n'Diamonds, Boulder Dash, Supaplex, Emerald Mine and any other BD hybrid.

Moderators: Flumminator, Zomis

Darkon

Snake bite - Discussion

Post by Darkon »

Figured id make a place for everyone to discuss this wonderful levelset, if you can even class it as that. (more along the lines of a new game)

Where on earth do you get all the music from? Seriously I was playing through thinking to myself *why is this music so familiar* turned out the reason it was so familiar is because it was from dizzy (love that egg :-p), I noticed on the music info page you didnt have anything listed for the desert song, this is just a guess but was it from tidus the fox? amiga 1995 i think.
Id look into it though because im not 100% certain.
Martijn

Post by Martijn »

I just want to say that Snake Bite is aaaaaaaaaawesome!! great job!
Visit my Boulder Dash website at:
http://www.bd-fans.com

Watch my avatar! That orange little thing is Murphy, the Supaplex star!
Darkon

Post by Darkon »

Did anyone else notice those little references to other things in the enemy names?

Roland Rat was a tv show quite a long time back involving a rat "puppet"

Ash was the name of the hero in evil dead 2, who chopped his own hand off.

Cant say ive noticed anymore than these 2 though.
Alan

Post by Alan »

Glad you like it. ;-)
Where on earth do you get all the music from?
The MOD tunes are mostly from Amiga games.....
Mirsoft they do MOD and MIDI here... you have to join to get files larger than 1MB, but it's worth it!
I noticed on the music info page you didnt have anything listed for the desert song
Yeah...I mostly got the infos from out of the tune itself, but sometimes the author doesn't put there name in, so I can't do much about it.

Roland Rat, and Ash.....yep you're right, there's a few more to ;-)
GavinDavidson

Post by GavinDavidson »

Great levelset! Levels, music and graphics are all good.

There is one little annoyance tho:
This is from level 3. To get out you have to move the snake right. But as soon as you do so, the boulder above the one you rolled out the way rolls down trapping you in.
It sometimes does that and sometimes not. Is it a bug or just a case of tapping right at the right time?

But well done :D
RAP

Post by RAP »

GavinDavidson wrote:Great levelset! Levels, music and graphics are all good.

There is one little annoyance tho:
This is from level 3. To get out you have to move the snake right. But as soon as you do so, the boulder above the one you rolled out the way rolls down trapping you in.
It sometimes does that and sometimes not. Is it a bug or just a case of tapping right at the right time?

But well done :D
Werid... I had that werid thing too, maybe a CE bug or what?... :arrow:

But I had to say this but the levels were great unlike snake-puzzle levels, WOW!
anon

Newbie Linux Question

Post by anon »

Love Rocks n Diamonds... Long ago, I had a roommate with an Amiga/Video Toaster, and I never forgot this game. I found it on Mandrake 10.1.

Two questions:

Where do you place the various files from Snake Bite.zip relative to the 3.1.1 installation?

The main interface in 3.1.1 doesn't seem to accept keyboard input like 3.1.0 did, though it still works with the mouse. Is this a bug?
bojster

Post by bojster »

GavinDavidson wrote:This is from level 3. To get out you have to move the snake right. But as soon as you do so, the boulder above the one you rolled out the way rolls down trapping you in.
Hint: You can finish this level without relying on luck with CEs' behaviour. ;-)
And yes, it is supposed to roll down and trap you. If it doesn't - it's a buggy behaviour, but it's probably too much a hassle to fix it (treat it as one of the game glitches that you can sometimes use for your purposes).
Holger
Site Admin

Post by Holger »

> Where do you place the various files from Snake Bite.zip relative to the
> 3.1.1 installation?

Either place the extracted folder "Snake_Bite" into the directory "rocksndiamonds-3.1.1/levels", or just place it into the folder "Rocks'n'Diamonds/levels" inside the "My Documents" folder on your desktop (where it will survive the next program version update).

> The main interface in 3.1.1 doesn't seem to accept keyboard input like
> 3.1.0 did, though it still works with the mouse. Is this a bug?

Oops? Sounds indeed like a bug to me. I usually only use the keyboard and had no problems so far. Does the whole main menu refuse to react to keystrokes in general, or are there only specific keys which are not working? You should be able to move the red thing with the cursor keys and select menu items with the "Return" key as if you would have clicked them with the mouse.

re: Snake Bite.zip (Linux)

Post by guest »

I'm using Mandrake 10.1, about which I know practically nothing. Version 3.1.1 was decompressed into a new folder and the executable file launches properly. Not sure where to put the Snake Bite files.

Regarding the keyboard, right off the bat, the opening menu doesn't respond to keystrokes. In a game, escape works, but you can't press Return afterward to say 'Yes" to 'Do you really want to quit the game?'
bojster

Post by bojster »

Holger wrote:Oops? Sounds indeed like a bug to me. I usually only use the keyboard and had no problems so far. Does the whole main menu refuse to react to keystrokes in general, or are there only specific keys which are not working? You should be able to move the red thing with the cursor keys and select menu items with the "Return" key as if you would have clicked them with the mouse.
Doesn't it sound for you like the problem I had with 3.0.8 (iirc)? Turned out it worked in SDL and not in X11 (or the other way round ;-). Anyway, keyboard works fine in the precompiled 3.1.1 for me, I haven't tried the SDL version yet. Might also be related to CapsLock (you guys checked it with and without it?).
GavinDavidson

Post by GavinDavidson »

any1 got a tape for level 3 they can send me?

CHEESEtwoK*@*aol.com

(remove the *s)
anon

Keyboard & Snake Bite update

Post by anon »

Dropping the Snake Bite folder into the Classic_Games folder worked.

Still having the keyboard issue with selecting menu items when running under X11. It's not a big deal though, as the mouse works.
bojster

Post by bojster »

GavinDavidson wrote:any1 got a tape for level 3 they can send me?
All the tapes are on my page, but you can also see the original tapes provided by Alan (they're in the zip archive). But I encourage you to try without the tapes first, so I'll provide you with another hint: you don't need to collect all the gems in this level.
bojster

Post by bojster »

About the keyboard: I used precompiled X11 version and my compiled SDL one and got the following results:

SDL version:
- CapsLock and NumLock off - keyboard working fine
- CapsLock on - keyboard working fine
- NumLock on - keyboard working fine

X11 version
- CapsLock and NumLock off - keyboard working fine
- CapsLock on - keyboard blocked (arrows and enter)
- NumLock on - keyboard blocked (arrows and enter)

My guess is that wherever there's problem with keyboard, NumLock is turned on on boot by default, so in this case it's best to use SDL version or just remember to turn NumLock off.

I also found this problem in mails we exchanged with Holger in March 2004 and symptoms as well as the conclusion were the same. I'm not sure if it can be fixed, but maybe Holger can investigate it further.