Snake bite - Discussion

Discussion about Rocks'n'Diamonds, Boulder Dash, Supaplex, Emerald Mine and any other BD hybrid.

Moderators: Flumminator, Zomis

Daniel H.

Post by Daniel H. »

Alan wrote:I spent hours and hours running through the doors at different lengths and times and always died.
The other time it happend (the body coming off of the snake), I understand that it had something to do with fire. :?:

I fixed my post above (on the previous page) so that now it looks like I had nothing to do with the tape. :wink: Really, I didn't.
The H. World levelset can be downloaded from http://www.bd-fans.com/RnD.html -- search The H. World on that page.
Holger
Site Admin

Post by Holger »

> You really didn't have to go through all that trouble just for a single level
> set! (four hours! Shocked )

I think it's well worth it, as Snake Bite is without any doubt one of the best level sets for R'n'D! Even though this bug did not result in unsolvable levels, it caused one major feature (the snake being killed by a closing door) to not work correctly anymore. I'm happy that this is fixed now, and Snake Bite plays as it was intended again! :-)
Alan

Post by Alan »

I understand that it had something to do with fire
That's strange since fire is pretty much static.... but I believe you! (I never spent hours running into fire to be honest)
Even though this bug did not result in unsolvable levels, it caused one major feature
So what was the bug exactly?
Holger
Site Admin

Post by Holger »

> So what was the bug exactly?

The bug happens when replacing an element (caused by a CE change condition) with another element that is considered as "the player" (which is also true for element "sokoban field with player). It then checks if the old element was walkable, and, if so, places the player onto this old element instead of replacing it with the player. Of course, if we have the special case of "sokoban field with player", the old element has to be replaced even if it is walkable, which was not the case with 3.1.2 (but is not with 3.2.0). In Snake Bite, this apparently (I haven't analysed it to the end) causes the (walkable) snake body element to be replaced with the Sokoban field with the player, which seems to stop the player from being killed. If the "sokoban field with player" is replaced by "player 1" after loading the level, the player is placed on the snake body and immediately gets killed after it (don't know exactly why, but this was also the old behaviour in 3.1.2).

The game engine is full of such oddities, and lots of compatibility code to prevent many older levels from breaking with the latest engine version... :-/
Tomi

Post by Tomi »

"CE notes"? Sounds familiar...

I actually suggested "CE notes" (or "editable CE descriptions") in this topic: viewtopic.php?t=549 . But my english failed me and, as it seems, I didn't successfully explain what exactly do I mean.