Highscore

Discussion about Rocks'n'Diamonds, Boulder Dash, Supaplex, Emerald Mine and any other BD hybrid.

Moderators: Flumminator, Zomis

Alan

Highscore

Post by Alan »

I have just discovered that there are 100 high score entries per level, and you view them by pressing the up & down cursors!

Anybody else know about this?

This has probably been in R&Ds since day one and I only find it now, I wonder what else I have missed... :wink:
Holger
Site Admin

Post by Holger »

> I have just discovered that there are 100 high score entries per level,
> and you view them by pressing the up & down cursors!

Erm... Yes. The usual "documentation thing", I suppose... :-)

> This has probably been in R&Ds since day one and I only find it now,

I just thought that a scrollbar on the right side (like in the level selection menu) would be a bad idea. This whole thing is taken from Emerald Mine, where you were able to scroll through all highscore entries by moving the joystick up or down. But I think that there was always a "half" line visible, so you could see that there's more below...

> I wonder what else I have missed...

Hopefully not too much. :-)

The most important things that are a bit hidden are the following (nothing new for you here ;-) ):
- snap key
- handicap
- solution tapes (hidden by intention :-) )

Any more? (Which are important, but hidden/undocumented)
Holger
Site Admin

Post by Holger »

> and you view them by pressing the up & down cursors!

BTW: The "PgUp" and "PgDown" keys also work here (pagewise).
Alan

Post by Alan »

I was going to say: Anybody else know about this? (besides Holger)

;-)

This topic has had 10 views and only 2 replies, so I guess somebody knows about the highscore thing (and never said).

Seriously though, this doc thing needs sorting out soon, and as I have said, I'll do it (with the help of others and yourself)...no problemo. Finding a good medium though..... definitely need pictures, so is HTML the best way? Is this the only cross platform way of doing it?

I do have a acrobat PDF builder......not sure if linux reads these though.
I also have the *cough* program to make windows CHM-HLP files...but that's for win only.
Holger
Site Admin

Post by Holger »

> Seriously though, this doc thing needs sorting out soon

Oh well, you are so right... :-o

> and as I have said, I'll do it (with the help of others and yourself)...no
> problemo. Finding a good medium though..... definitely need pictures,
> so is HTML the best way? Is this the only cross platform way of doing it?

Not sure if HTML files with pictures inside the program package is the best solution, but it definitely is when using my web site for documentation. Then, one could include some simple text files (with ".txt" extension in the Windows version for easier access) for the most important things, referencing to the fully blown HTML-with-pictures documentation on my site. :-)

> I do have a acrobat PDF builder......not sure if linux reads these though.

PDF, with or without embedded pictures, works fine on most platforms, including Linux. (Not sure if the Linux version of Acrobat reader always supports the latest and greatest PDF features, but I never had any problems with PDFs under Linux so far.)
Darkon

Post by Darkon »

You know, theres always the wiki :-p

If you ever find yourself discovering something new, or something that you might find useful, stick it in the wiki, thats what its there for
bojster

Post by bojster »

> Anybody else know about this? (besides Holger)

Personally I've never had that much scores for one level. ;-)

> Seriously though, this doc thing needs sorting out soon, and as I have said, I'll do it (with the help of others and yourself)...no problemo. Finding a good medium though..... definitely need pictures, so is HTML the best way? Is this the only cross platform way of doing it?

I think that html documentation on RnD's official page is the best solution. It's easy to find (in the same location as the download, mostly), easy to find again when it's needed ;-), and, well, it's much more likely thaty people will read it than if it was in the game dir. To be even more sure, it's enough to put the manual.url (or sth) in the distribution archive. For the unplugged ones, the recent html manual snapshot could be put in doc/ (as more and more packagers do). I believe that'd be the best solution for the people.
Alan

Post by Alan »

You know, theres always the wiki :-p
Yeah, this is what I ment by help from other people..... basically transferring the wiki info into something packaged with R&Ds.

New R&Ds players (I don't like the word "newbies" which our moderator uses :P ) will look in the main R&Ds package for help, then on the main site I suppose (I know I did when I first got R&Ds) ..... so I think bojster's idea is the best one.
Darkon

Post by Darkon »

i suppose the wiki could be listed as *advanced help*

so somewhere near the end of this html document could be the URL stating that if any extra help is required, check the the wiki or the forums
Martijn

Post by Martijn »

no never noticed that..

I only play the game myself here at home so I never look at the highscores :-)
Visit my Boulder Dash website at:
http://www.bd-fans.com

Watch my avatar! That orange little thing is Murphy, the Supaplex star!
Rockford 4-ever

Post by Rockford 4-ever »

Well, There should be a readme file with RnD.
Could be handy for some people. :D
bojster

Post by bojster »

Rockford 4-ever wrote:Well, There should be a readme file with RnD.
Could be handy for some people. :D
There is a readme file with RnD and you've just proved that it isn't ver mych used, so what's your point? :P