Icon for the files archive?

Discussion about Rocks'n'Diamonds, Boulder Dash, Supaplex, Emerald Mine and any other BD hybrid.

Moderators: Flumminator, Zomis

Which icon should be used for the RND Files Archive?

Yellow Rockford
36%
Steel Wall or Normal Wall
No votes
Rock
18%
Bomb or Dynamite
No votes
Explosion
No votes
Yam-Yam
18%
Glowing Light bulb
9%
Open Exit
No votes
Other... (see post)
18%
There should be none!
No votes

Total votes: 11

Zomis

Icon for the files archive?

Post by Zomis »

Okay, I've now decided to put an icon on the files archive (artsoft.org has a green emerald, the forum has a red one, you know what an icon is now? :P)

But the question is... which RND-icon should I have?
Icons from other graphic-sets could also work, but then I will ask for permission from the graphic author.
bojster

Post by bojster »

How about a yellow emerald? And my tapes archive could get a purple one if I had any idea how to achieve it. ;-)
Zomis

Post by Zomis »

bojster wrote:How about a yellow emerald? And my tapes archive could get a purple one if I had any idea how to achieve it. ;-)
Hmm... yellow... I don't know, honestly I'd prefer a purple one instead... :P Or maybe a BD-one, or a BD2k3-emerald (if Alan permits).

I must admit that I also didn't know how to do it. But I checked the source of the forum and artsoft.org, and I found this:

Code: Select all

<link REL="icon" HREF="/images/icon_rocksndiamonds_forum-16x16.gif" TYPE="image/gif">
Put that inside <HEAD>...</HEAD>
bojster

Post by bojster »

Thanks. Now to get the image... ;-]
Darkon

Post by Darkon »

i voted on a yam yam, since a yam yam can contain various different things, which is the same as the archive, it seems quite logical

an emerald... well, that would fit into the rocks and diamonds theme, it wouldnt particularly have a meaning however
Martijn

Post by Martijn »

Darkon wrote:i voted on a yam yam, since a yam yam can contain various different things, which is the same as the archive, it seems quite logical

an emerald... well, that would fit into the rocks and diamonds theme, it wouldnt particularly have a meaning however
ah that's a nice one. I voted yellow rockford because all the other things are nonsense I think.
Visit my Boulder Dash website at:
http://www.bd-fans.com

Watch my avatar! That orange little thing is Murphy, the Supaplex star!

Post by Guest »

I think an emerald in any color besides green (main page) or red (forum) would look nice when haveing several tabs with the R'n'D main page, forum page and R'n'D files archive side by side in the browser... :-)
Holger
Site Admin

Post by Holger »

Sorry. The above post was me... :-)
bojster

Post by bojster »

My point exactly. So, of course, I second that.
Alan

Post by Alan »

the lightbulb is nice when used with it's on/off state
Zomis

Post by Zomis »

Okay, thanks. I've decided to use the purple emerald. (Feel free to use the yellow bojster, although yellow maybe isn't the easiest colour for the eyes to see...)
Now I have a problem though, I've put <LINK REL="icon" HREF="/rnd/tools/icon_rndfa.gif" TYPE="image/gif"> into my <head>... however, it doesn't show up! I've used it on www.zomis.net/rnd/test.php and www.zomis.net/rnd (i.e. the index page).

I first thought that the frames on the index page mixed the whole thing up, but since it (for me) also don't work on the test.php page either...?
Using Mozilla Firefox 1.0.2

Also tested with IE 6.0, but apparently IE doesn't show any icons at all from any page... :shock:
bojster

Post by bojster »

Sure, go ahead, steal my idea... :P
I guess that leaves me with a diamond. At least my page will be worth as much as these three altogether. ;-D

BTW, I can see the emerald on your test page, but not on the main page. However, it has an ugly, white background. Try changing it to transparent.
Zomis

Post by Zomis »

bojster wrote:Sure, go ahead, steal my idea... :P
I guess that leaves me with a diamond. At least my page will be worth as much as these three altogether. ;-D

BTW, I can see the emerald on your test page, but not on the main page. However, it has an ugly, white background. Try changing it to transparent.
Aaaah, smart! I never thought of the diamond... I only thought about the yellow emerald and the BD style of emerald, or BD2k3 etc...

Hmmm... I thought white was the transparent colour, that's why I changed :P But which colour is transparent then? Black?
bojster

Post by bojster »

Well, the diamond is taken... sorry ;-] You can use the purple emerald like you wanted, though.
Transparent colour is no colour, so you just have to remove the backgound. It took me a while to do it in gimp, but here's a quick tutorial: take the icon, mark (with shift) all 4 corner areas with the contiguous regions selection tool, inverse the selection, cut out the emerald. Alternatively you can just mark the emerald, but that will be more taxing probably. Now open a new file and totally remove the background, so that you can see the chessboard-like pattern (which indicates there's no bg), paste the emerald, save as png or gif and you're done. If you manage, you can remove the corners after marking them and it should result in the same, but I didn't manage to do that (there was still a white bg), so I used this way around it.
Zomis

Post by Zomis »

Hmm... and if I don't have gimp or another (more or less) proffessional graphic software excepts MSPaint and SnagIt? Think you could do it for me? I guess you now where you can find the graphics. Thanks in advance...mail it to me or put it up on the archive, or on your own page, or anywhere else :P