Martijn's new site (splitted from "'Modules' directory)

Discussion about Rocks'n'Diamonds, Boulder Dash, Supaplex, Emerald Mine and any other BD hybrid.

Moderators: Flumminator, Zomis

Martijn

Post by Martijn »

OK. Then wait until it will be released. It's really soon! Finally I have found a good hosting. At least I think so. I have paid the domain name (it will be www.bd-fans.com ) and I'm working on the last page (I waited with it!): the RnD page. Man, that's really most work of it all! There are so many levels...

btw. I stole your site design a bit... :oops:
but not really because it's still very different. every page has other backgrounds and colours. But this way it's familiar to the visitors!

I only don't know where to host High Carats, another boulder dash clone. It's too big for the current hosting: 60 mb or so. If anybody around knows someone with a game site or so who would like and can host it, please tell me! Otherwise I have to split the file in smaller parts but then you also need to download a splitted-file-reading-program and that's not my first choice.

For the temporary site:

have a look at http://www.byte2.net/boulderdash/

(some downloads are disabled here, it's still for testing purposes).
Visit my Boulder Dash website at:
http://www.bd-fans.com

Watch my avatar! That orange little thing is Murphy, the Supaplex star!
Alan

Post by Alan »

>but not really because it's still very different.

those boulders and diamonds look familiar.... Don't you think you should of asked me first? (or at least mentioned there origin?)

Post by Guest »

Oh I'm sorry. I thought you would only be content with it (I like it most as index background). But if you want, I can mention it somewhere on the index page.
bojster

Post by bojster »

Layout by Holger, artwork by Alan, text by Martijn, ads by Goooooogle... and we have a new BD page.
Martijn

Post by Martijn »

bojster wrote:Layout by Holger, artwork by Alan, text by Martijn, ads by Goooooogle... and we have a new BD page.
layout idea by Holger, layout itself by Martijn, text and other content by Martijn, ads by Gooogle, index background by alan. It was really much work! wrong to say that the layout is by holger and the artwork by alan.

oh yes and tape archive (will also appear there) by bojster. and contributions fix by yoshi (not released yet), and the enthusiasm to make this website was aroused by RnD (Holger) :D

Zomis

Post by Zomis »

Martijn wrote:layout idea by Holger, layout itself by Martijn, text and other content by Martijn, ads by Gooogle, index background by alan. It was really much work! wrong to say that the layout is by holger and the artwork by alan.
I think the best way to say it is "Layout by Holger & Martijn, Text and content by Martijn, ads by Google, Background by Alan & Martijn"
But of course, that's just my thoughts...

am I gonna be credited for anything? :P ;)
Martijn

Post by Martijn »

Zomis wrote: am I gonna be credited for anything? :P ;)
uhm, I can mention your name in the forum section, like: moderators: Holger, Zomis

and of course your file archive!

btw. if you say background by alan and martijn it's wrong, because Alan is not the maker of the screenshot, but the maker of BD2K3 where the screenshot was taken from. So I also have to mention the maker of the graphics of the screenshot of DX boulderdash and RoX and Diam Diam and HIgh Carats...
to be precisely...

bojster

Post by bojster »

Martijn wrote:oh yes and tape archive (will also appear there) by bojster
Good to know... will it be a link, or a mirror? If it's going to be a mirror, you'd better find a way to synchronize it, because I'm not going to inform you every time I update a tape or a set...
Alan

Post by Alan »

This is getting a bit silly.

First of all I have to admit as was flatted (at first), until you said:

>btw. I stole your site design a bit...
>but not really because it's still very different. every page has other >backgrounds and colours. But this way it's familiar to the visitors!

"Because it's still very different as I used Alan's graphics instead."

Now if you had said that in this forum (not on your site) I wouldn't of brought it up (and this silly thread would be much shorter)

>Alan is not the maker of the screenshot

You are joking right?

It must of took all of one minute to cut out the diamond and the boulder from the original graphics, which took me hours and hours to make.
And I didn't ask for some amazing roll of credits!

I first said that I would of liked to have been asked first, but since you never then just a nod of acknowledgment would do, you know....good manners? And now you're saying it's your work? LOL.... please tell me I misread this.

>So I also have to mention the maker of the graphics of the screenshot of DX boulderdash and RoX and Diam Diam and HIgh Carats...

You are right to say this of course, but why use BD2K3's graphics and not R&Ds? See where I'm going here? Good.

Look at it from my point of view, you list every BD clone under the sun except BD2K3 (OK it's not an original BD game). But you take the graphics from it and are now saying it's your work? How would you feel if you where the original author?

Anyway, for the sake of a bit of peace and quiet..... you may use them and you don't have to credit me for it.

Btw, you have missed out a few BD clones from the C64.

Post by Guest »

OK, I understand what you mean, Alan. It'
S quite normal that you use some other graphics or pieces of
code or so which are not from yourself. I think that most sites (about
whatever) have some things from somewhere else: The background,
the sound of a button you click etc. But the site is still mine. I
have had hours of work on it, not you. You spent much time on BD2K3,
but not on my site. And I must honestly say that it was really not my
intention to lack you. I thought: Alan will be surprised by
seeing his graphics on the index page! He will be proud of it!
That' S what I thought, nothing else. By "
Alan is not the maker of the screenshot" I meant that
I took the screenshot but of course YOU are the maker of the graphics!
Every page has the background of the clone that page is about.
Because the index page is not about one clone, but general, I had to
choose another background. First I used the RnD background there
(because RnD has many clones in it) but later I thought: The rnd
background is already used on the rnd page of my site. So I wanted
another background. Because the original Commodore BD graphics look
very old and not as beautiful as all the clones on my website, I
decided to use your BD2K3 graphics. So do you understand what I mean?
I only wanted to surprise you! Really! Therefore I
did it. This may sound sliming, but it isn' T. And don'
T feel offended, I didn' T want to if I did. Indeed,
this all was misunderstanding. btw. Which clones am I missing?
As you can read, I only offer a) freeware b) quality and c) good
working on modern pc' S clones there. no C64 files. But of
course it' S an idea to expand my site with all other clones
ever made or so. By this I still thank you, Alan, for your graphics
and for your permission to use a background from BD2K3!
Zomis

Post by Zomis »

Alan, I think it's great that you let Martijn use your graphics. Excellent.

Martijn, I think I understand Alan, even though you took the screenshot and he "just" made the graphics, it is good manner to ask about using stuff before you do so. It's probably not illegal to use it anyway, but it's good manner and helps making internet a better and more peaceful place.
But the site is still mine. I have had hours of work on it, not you. You spent much time on BD2K3, but not on my site
Yes, the site is yours, but you use a screenshot from Alan's graphics, which also is a part of your site.

I will continue to watch this thread, also from a moderating point of view.
bojster

Post by bojster »

Zomis wrote:also from a moderating point of view.
You could start by splitting it and putting the webpage-related discussion in a more appropriate place.
Alan

Post by Alan »

You couldn't let it lie could you? :lol:

>But the site is still mine. I have had hours of work on it, not you. You >spent much time on BD2K3, but not on my site.

So? Just because you spent hours on this site doesn't give you the right to say this or that is your own... come on, you have to agree this is a bit of a weak argument? (and a bit childish)

As for being a surprise, it's easy to say stuff like this in retrospect , so I'll have to take your word for that one.

>It's probably not illegal to use it anyway, but it's good manner and helps >making internet a better and more peaceful place.

This is the whole point, I'm not arsed about the graphics... it's the principal. As for legality.. even If I could I wouldn't ask him to take them down, he probably wouldn't anyway so there's not much I can do... stalemate.

>also from a moderating point of view.

I hear the sound of a gun barrel being spun....and a harmonica. :wink:
Zomis

Post by Zomis »

bojster wrote:You could start by splitting it and putting the webpage-related discussion in a more appropriate place.
Believe it or not, but I actually thought about that - didn't have much time then to take a closer look at it, but now I did. Thanks for the suggestion
Martijn

Post by Martijn »

hey Alan, I just wanted to show you that I didn't want to do anything unfriendly in your direction. I'm not lying. But in the future I'll try to think of giving credit or thanking you! (btw I thanked you for levelsets etc. so don't think I never thank anybody )

I hope you still like my site...