3.2.0rc1

Discussion about Rocks'n'Diamonds, Boulder Dash, Supaplex, Emerald Mine and any other BD hybrid.

Moderators: Flumminator, Zomis

Mephisto

Post by Mephisto »

Where the Unix version? 3.1.0 doesnt compile on gcc 4, so i want to try with 3.2.0rc1 before posting about crap that already might have gotten fixed...

[edit:] made a small patch for anyone that wants to compile 3.1.0 on gcc4, you can find it here:
http://www.mephisto.ma.cx/mephisto/patc ... gcc4.patch
Holger
Site Admin

Post by Holger »

> Where the Unix version? 3.1.0 doesnt compile on gcc 4,

Sorry, but I have no gcc 4 available for testing. :-(

Currently I can only test compilation with gcc version 2.95.2 and 3.3.5.

But I do get compiler warnings with gcc 3.3.5 (not yet available to me when I released R'n'D 3.1.0) for the parts of code referred by your patch below, so it is most likely that these warnings are fixed in the next version and the code therefore also compiles with gcc 4.

> [edit:] made a small patch for anyone that wants to compile 3.1.0 on
> gcc4, you can find it here:
> http://www.mephisto.ma.cx/mephisto/patc ... gcc4.patch

Sorry, but I can only strongly discourage anybody from using this patch, which might remove the compiler warnings/errors, but which will also break the game and is expected to crash it sooner or later.

Technical explanation: The part regarding "ARTWORK_CURRENT_IDENTIFIER" changes the code from copying a pointer address to copying a single character. The part regarding "LEVELDIR_ARTWORK_PATH" and "LEVELDIR_ARTWORK_SET" changes the code from setting a pointer to the address of a global variable to setting that pointer to the address of a local variable temporarily stored on the stack. When leaving the function, the pointers point to garbage. (Yes, the use of pointer variables and macros in my code might be sometimes, well, a bit confusing.)