looking for dx-diggem

Discussion about Rocks'n'Diamonds, Boulder Dash, Supaplex, Emerald Mine and any other BD hybrid.

Moderators: Flumminator, Zomis

Rockford4ever

Post by Rockford4ever »

Well, I was - not so long ago - importing the EM V6 Graphics in DXBD, but now I'm bored with it... I still have the file on another computer, so I might be planning to work further on it! :D

The only thing is, that I'm now on the player graphics which take kinda long (and I used the wrong gray door graphic, 'cuz I did'nt notice it was in the graphic file, and neither did I know it was black! :oops: )

I found out later after trying out the EMC v6 Demo. (Yep, I'm freaked by the Amiga games, and i'm planning on importing them once the EM engine is fully complete... :roll:)

But when the EMv6 Graphics are done, I have no idea where to host them... Perhaps Martijn's site? :D
Martijn

Post by Martijn »

Rockford4ever, I will host every stuff in Boulderdash land on my site, so also your graphics. And to everybody: please mail everything you have that could be useful for my site. It will all be uploaded, of course. That is what we call a Fan Site!

In the future (I hope as soon as possible...) a special Boulder Dash and Emerald Mine page will appear at least. With all the original Amiga disks and Commodore games I can get! So all contributions are welcome...

Or if you have history about one of the Boulderdash clones (Emerald Mine for example).
Visit my Boulder Dash website at:
http://www.bd-fans.com

Watch my avatar! That orange little thing is Murphy, the Supaplex star!
Holger
Site Admin

Post by Holger »

> I'm freaked by the Amiga games, and i'm planning on importing them
> once the EM engine is fully complete...

No need to do that -- the new EMC level collection is nearly ready (and will probably be released together with the final 3.2.0).

My script that automatically creates this level collection currently says the following:

--- snip ---
33965 levels in 362 sets (25683 unique levels)
--- snip ---

So it's a "little" improvement over the current EMC level collection with "10318 levels in 113 level sets". Besides that, (nearly) all sets will contain their original graphics and sounds! And of course they will not be converted to R'n'D anymore, but are the original EMC format level files (even with file timestamps from the eighties!) which then run in the 99,9% original EMC compatible engine, within R'n'D! :-)
Steffest

Vanished? naaah .....

Post by Steffest »

Hi all,
Steffest here, from DX-Boulderdash (really)

Hi Holger,
Wauw ... I can't believe how advanced your game has become !!!
I'm totally blown away :-)
I've always had ideas about building a general grid-based engine with custom object physics, but you made it all happen !

Also respect for your EMC compatible engine. Believe me: I know how hard it is to recreate such an engine with all their anomalities.

Martijn: A friend send me to link to your site today. Nice website!
Yes ... DX-Diggem.
hmm, The DX-boulder-site has switched hosts a few times, and I'm not sure what happened with that file (nor the link)
Probably, I have that build on some old hard-drive lingering around, but that was many years and PC's ago :-)

DX-diggem had the elements from an old amige game called "icer" or something, where you had to slide rocks over the ice, using walls to steer the rock to the enemy's, while avoiding the water.
That made some interesting new levels possible.
It also had some technical fixes, like scalable window mode etc ...
But at that time, I really got fed up with First Software, they actually took the trouble to find out my home address and send me registered letters pressuring me to sop DX-Boulderdash.
No fun.

Martijn, I'm going to dig the files up.

Nowadays, I'm totally into online applications, so if I ever continue DX-Diggem, it will be in the online era: online game engine, playing online against anoter human player (Boulder death match is really funny), online highscores, online leveleditor .... well, If i ever find the time , he .

See you all later!
regards,
Steffest
Martijn

Post by Martijn »

Hi Steffest!

YES!!! If you could dig up the files and give them to me, I would be very grateful for that!

Thank you!!!

RAP

Post by RAP »

Hi Steffest,

No time no see (since I chatted with him 2 years ago), so what are you
doing all those years after abandoning your game? :D

Post by Guest »

Hi Ryan,

Well, It's quite astonishing how much free time you have in college :-)
But when the rest of your life kicks into gear, the time to continue such projects like DX-Boulderdash is very very hard to find.

Besides, I've moved from desktop programming to online programming, so an update of DX-Boulderdash will be more in the line of this:

http://www.steffest.com/boulderflash/

offcourse, the possibilities of flash are rather limited compared to desktop games, but still ... a fun way spending some time.

see you,
Steffest
Holger
Site Admin

Post by Holger »

> Steffest here, from DX-Boulderdash (really)

Hey, Steffest! I'm happy and proud to welcome you in the R'n'D forum! :-)

As some people might know, DX-Boulderdash (although a BD/EM clone by itself) was one of the big "idols" R'n'D was modelled on! :)

> Wauw ... I can't believe how advanced your game has become !!!

Well... I'm working on it since 1995 (with bigger and smaller breaks)... ;-)

> Also respect for your EMC compatible engine. Believe me: I know how
> hard it is to recreate such an engine with all their anomalities.

Indeed it is! :-o

But the credits for the EMC engine go to David Tritscher, who created the original code that I incorporated into R'n'D. (When looking at the code, I think it must be based on some sort of disassembly of the original EM or EMC engine.) The current R'n'D therefore contains two separate game engines: The (semi-compatible) R'n'D engine and the (very compatible) EMC engine.

> But at that time, I really got fed up with First Software, they actually took
> the trouble to find out my home address and send me registered letters
> pressuring me to sop DX-Boulderdash.
> No fun.

I remember well, as I closely followed these events on your web site and those of others, who were also affected. :-(

> Nowadays, I'm totally into online applications, so if I ever continue
> DX-Diggem, it will be in the online era: online game engine, playing online
> against anoter human player (Boulder death match is really funny),
> online highscores, online leveleditor .... well, If i ever find the time , he .

That sounds cool! These are things which I had also planned for R'n'D once, but I'm not sure if I will ever find enough time for it this century. Maybe in the next one! ;-)

> Well, It's quite astonishing how much free time you have in college

I can tell you that! :-o

I just digged out a lot of old graphic adventures and other games for the C64 I wrote all in 1986 and 1987 (in fact, the first games under the label "Artsoft"! :-) ). I have absolutely no idea where I took the time for all that! :-o

(BTW: Seems that this year I can celebrate the 20th anniversary of my Artsoft label... ;-) )

> But when the rest of your life kicks into gear, the time to continue such
> projects like DX-Boulderdash is very very hard to find.

So true! :-o

> http://www.steffest.com/boulderflash/

Unfortunately, I don't have Flash 8 around at the moment (my Flash plugin for Mozilla/Linux is version 7 -- maybe there's also version 8 around somewhere), so I can't check it out, but it sounds very interesting and promising from your web site! :-)
Martijn

Post by Martijn »

Hi Steffest,

(Hopefully you read this.) Did you find DX Diggem on your PC/backup?

Martijn

Post by Martijn »

It seems that he has vanished again... does anyone know Steffest's e-mail address? Or at least, his personal e-mail address (I've already sent him an e-mail to the e-mail address that is mentioned on his site)? Then, please PM me about it. (I think he will not like it if you put his personal address here, free to use for the spammers.)

Steffest

Post by Steffest »

Hey!
Guess what I found on an old laptop: The sourcecode for DX-diggem.

Apparently its version 0.45 alpha.
the last stable version (0.44, seems to be lost though)

I allready forgot: It has a rather cool feature to extract the graphics directly from Emerald Mine adf disks.
Man ... I can't believe how much free time I had in collage ... enough to reverse engineer the amiga disk format and the graphics levelformat. (back when that info wan't on the net ...)

I'll wrap it up and send it your way.

Steffest
Sandancer2008

Well Done

Post by Sandancer2008 »

WOW i loved DX-Boulderash do you know when it will be available for download