Rocks'n'Diamonds 4.1.3.0 iphone

Discussion about Rocks'n'Diamonds, Boulder Dash, Supaplex, Emerald Mine and any other BD hybrid.

Moderators: Flumminator, Zomis

quink

Rocks'n'Diamonds 4.1.3.0 iphone

Post by quink »

Hallo,
on the download page the download is for Win, Linux, Mac, and Android. The download for iphone is the link to the apple store. Nice, but i have no apple id to download in the apple store :shock:

Please update the download page for the iphone download in .ipa format
thankx
Braud

Re: Rocks'n'Diamonds 4.1.3.0 iphone

Post by Braud »

I'd love an alternative way to download for iOS as well. Can we expect something like that anytime soon?
Holger
Site Admin

Post by Holger »

First of all: The iOS version of R'n'D is not done my myself, but you can thank Les Bird for providing it! He has decided to offer it from the Apple App Store.

Until I read your post, I did not even know that it is possible to install iOS software from other sources than the App Store! (But yes, it makes sense, especially for software that is to be released non-publicly.)

My main problem with the iOS platform is that it is not possible to write software (even free software, with "free" as in "beer") for it without paying lots of bucks to Apple (it was $99 per year the last time I checked it out). That's why I don't support it. Being forced to use a proprietary shop system to give it away was another show stopper for me -- great to know that I was wrong here!

We could ask Les to provide the iOS version of R'n'D as a stand-alone package in the format you mentioned. Does it work as nicely as APK packages work on Android? (That is, download and install it right away?)

Les, are you still reading here? Would that be possible?

Update: You can also contact him from his web site: http://www.lesbird.com/rocksndiamonds.html
lesbird

Post by lesbird »

Ha! 3 years later...

Sorry for the delay. I can offer it as an IPA if that is preferred in addition to uploading it to the App Store.

I'm in the process of building a version using the latest code (4.3.1.1). I'm planning on taking out Game Center and instead just going to keep support for the built-in high score server, which is awesome by the way!

Should have it done before the end of the month.

Also my new website is here for future reference: https://lesbird.github.io

Les
Holger
Site Admin

Post by Holger »

I can offer it as an IPA if that is preferred in addition to uploading it to the App Store.
Sounds cool! I like the idea if side-loading apps to Android and Apple instead of using the official app stores, but I did not know that this is possible on Apple devices. Are there any disadvantages of using an IPA instead of installing from the app store?
I'm in the process of building a version using the latest code (4.3.1.1).
The release of the latest and greatest version 4.3.2.0 is only days (maybe even hours) away, which offers a new cool feature of replaying all score tapes from the score server directly from the Hall of Fame, so you might want to wait for it! :-)

If I can assist you in any way with the new port for iOS, please let me know! For example, if you need to apply patches for iOS, I can add them to the master branch, so you don't have to manually add them to every new version for iOS.
I'm planning on taking out Game Center and instead just going to keep support for the built-in high score server, which is awesome by the way!
Hope it will be even better with the new version! :)
Should have it done before the end of the month.
Sounds like it would be possible then to use the upcoming new release version! :-)
lesbird

Post by lesbird »

Sounds cool! I like the idea if side-loading apps to Android and Apple instead of using the official app stores, but I did not know that this is possible on Apple devices. Are there any disadvantages of using an IPA instead of installing from the app store?
I'm not too familiar with side-loading IPAs. I know it can be done by re-signing the IPA but not sure what the advantages/disadvantages are and I think you still need a developer account otherwise you might have to re-sign every 7 days or something like that. Signing with a free developer account, for example, will only be good for 7 days.
The release of the latest and greatest version 4.3.2.0 is only days (maybe even hours) away, which offers a new cool feature of replaying all score tapes from the score server directly from the Hall of Fame, so you might want to wait for it! :-)
Yes, I already got the 4.3.2.0 version and started making changes to it. I'm trying to keep the changes minimal so yes if you can put them in the master branch that would be a time saver. I'll let you know of the changes.

Les