Would you like more features on the RND Files Archive?

Discussion about Rocks'n'Diamonds, Boulder Dash, Supaplex, Emerald Mine and any other BD hybrid.

Moderators: Flumminator, Zomis

Should I (Zomis) add more features to the Files Archive?

Yes, the sooner the better!
44%
Yeah that sounds nice... if you have time...
44%
No, I don't care much about it.
11%

Total votes: 9

Zomis

Post by Zomis »

Francesco wrote:The issue about the hover-on in-page previews will be solved by a couple of CSS rules, and my contribution will stop there, sorry, I would like to help in the automatic creation of the previews, but I haven't got the knowledge to do so.

By the way, I would like to know which tools you are using to make the image on your signature.
I am already very grateful for your contributions to the archive! Especially with that "View level" feature! I think I know how to make the previews, but it will take time. Suggestions about how the preview should look (size - as you already have suggested, positioning, table column, etc...) are very welcome! There might be a problem with fitting it into the tables, since each row are very small (and I hope they won't grow too big...)

Anyways, Daniel is right, it's just PHP code. Every time there is a new upload, download or vote, a call to /rnd/stats.php is made, and stats.php generates a new stats.png, which is the image I have linked to in my signature. So the signature itself actually never changes, it's just the image!
(Such things are also possible with the avatar, I could make some PHP-scripts on my page which changes my avatar once a week or so... - like I have on another forum)
Daniel H.

Post by Daniel H. »

In order to test the time zone feature, it would be nice to have something that shows the current time.
The H. World levelset can be downloaded from http://www.bd-fans.com/RnD.html -- search The H. World on that page.
Francesco

Post by Francesco »

Maybe those small previews shouldn't be put directly in the main table, but only in the individual pages of each entry of the archive (either being a single level or a whole set). It would keep the directory page just as fast as it is now. If one really wants to know more about an entry, one will open the relative page ;)
Anyway, by the way, have fun!
Francesco
Zomis

Post by Zomis »

Daniel H. wrote:In order to test the time zone feature, it would be nice to have something that shows the current time.
Oh... of course... :roll: Is on usr_profile.php now. But somehow you have to press the "Change info" button two times to show the new time... I'll see if I can fix that later.
Francesco wrote:Maybe those small previews shouldn't be put directly in the main table, but only in the individual pages of each entry of the archive (either being a single level or a whole set). It would keep the directory page just as fast as it is now. If one really wants to know more about an entry, one will open the relative page ;)
Ah, you mean on info.php? That's a good idea!
Daniel H.

Post by Daniel H. »

I wrote:In order to test the time zone feature, it would be nice to have something that shows the current time.
Zomis wrote:Is on usr_profile.php now.
It works! :D (for me, anyway) Even the Daylight Savings Time setting works.

By the way, what country do you consider when you automatically adjust for daylight savings time? It's different where you are than where I am...
The H. World levelset can be downloaded from http://www.bd-fans.com/RnD.html -- search The H. World on that page.
Zomis

Post by Zomis »

Daniel H. wrote:By the way, what country do you consider when you automatically adjust for daylight savings time? It's different where you are than where I am...
Umm... Honestly, I have no idea...:P I use the PHP function date('I') to check if the date should be changed according to daylight savings time.
Francesco

Post by Francesco »

Since different countries, even on the same timezone, use different daylight saving methods, you should add a country selection and correct the timing for each case. For instance, China spreads over five or six timezones, but officially it's the same time all along the country! Also, some nations skip one hour, while other nations skip just half... well, there aren't so many particular cases, so it shouldn't be a big effort.
Francesco
Daniel H.

Post by Daniel H. »

Actually, the PHP date function may be smart enough to figure out DST based off of the time zone. I looked it up on the PHP web site, but I couldn't easily find anything about it.
Francesco

Post by Francesco »

That function can be smart enough to determine the DST depending on the the time zone *and* the country. Only the time zone can't be enough, I'm pretty sure about this.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Daylight_saving_time
Francesco
Zomis

Post by Zomis »

I don't think the date function is that smart either, since there's no country parameter to that function. I seriously don't think it's worth the effort to implement different daylight saving methods. It's just about a couple of hours...