New At Rocks&Diamonds

Discussion about Rocks'n'Diamonds, Boulder Dash, Supaplex, Emerald Mine and any other BD hybrid.

Moderators: Flumminator, Zomis

Mark

New At Rocks&Diamonds

Post by Mark »

Greetings to all. I've played DC2, DC3 and this game has got
it all. But I have a question:

I have a foreign friend who also wants to join this forum, but he knows very little english. Do you think someone could make an international poll where we could talk to all sorts of people. That is if you know their
language. Is this a possibility? I enjoy playing very much, and so does my friend. Here we could discuss R&D.
The Emerald King
bojster

Post by bojster »

Well, so far there is a German section, but I guess you mean Spanish... I don't think many people would jpoin your discussion, but maybe it's a good idea to make a babel-forum where people could communicate in theit native tongues... I just hope that all important things will be brought up in English... Let's see what Holger thinks about it.

Ah, almost forgot, welcome to the forums and enjoy your stay! ;-)
Mark

Post by Mark »

No. I have a hungarian friend. Infact, I could translate him to you guys because I know hungarian. He is very into R&D type games. So it would be cool. Maybe the easiest way to do it is just modify the german poll
title to: International. What do you think?
The Emerald King
Martijn

Post by Martijn »

Hi Don Quixote. Welcome to this forum! Nice to see new (active!) people coming. That means ideas and most important: NEW CONTRIBUTIONS!!!

The idea of an International section is nice, but one section with Hungarian, Spanish, French, Japanese, Russian, etc. in it would mean a mess!
Is Hungarian the only language your friend speaks? To avoid the mess, it might be better to have these 3 languages: English (world language), Spanish (second world language) and German (European language + Holger's language).

and though his English is bad, he could try.. and otherwise he could use online translators, like worldlingo or babelfish... and he could ask you to post some urgent questions/remarks in english...
Visit my Boulder Dash website at:
http://www.bd-fans.com

Watch my avatar! That orange little thing is Murphy, the Supaplex star!
Mark

Post by Mark »

I just talked to him, and he has better english than I thought.
Maybe we don't need another poll for Hungarians. But occasionally
when he does't understand something, it would be best if we explained
it to him. Is that Ok with you guys? He might ask me questions in hungarian sometimes. He is currently learning to speak english, so I will
just answer him in english most of the time. He'll be joining the forum soon. He is downloading R&D right now. When I told him that you can customize elements, he was surprised. I am surprised. What a great game! Super job Holger!!! :D
The Emerald King
Holger
Site Admin

Post by Holger »

Generally, I like the idea of international language sub-forums (although it might lead to discussions about the same topic in different languages).

In this forum, I think there is too less traffic at the moment to start splitting it up into several sub-forums in different languages. Another problem is a legal one: The forum maintainer(s) must be able to read the posts, because in case of somebody demanding to remove a certain post because of legal problems (can be as simple as an offense to somebody, ot other things that might violate a law), somebody of the forum maintainers must react and maybe remove that post. This problem was in fact the cause of the last R'n'D forum getting deleted (only english postings were allowed there, but we had that german section).

So we would at least need somebody who
- speaks that language
- is frequently active in the forum
- is suitable and accepted as a moderator
who can then moderate that foreign language forum.

But for now we should stay with the english sections, I think. Even the german section is used only now and then, so with the current low traffic level I see no real need for other language forums, to be honest.
Mark

Post by Mark »

Yeah. I agree. I mean, I know I can speak hungarian, and, of course, I could be suitable to be a moderator, but I also think that the current forum needs more action. And action you shall get. :shock:

BTW: Where is the link for BD2K3 - that lovely graphics set I've been hearning about?
The Emerald King
Holger
Site Admin

Post by Holger »

> [...] I also think that the current forum needs more action. And action you shall get

Yeah! :-)

> BTW: Where is the link for BD2K3 - that lovely graphics set I've been hearning about?

See the "Levels & Artwork" section on my main page -- it's here: http://www.artsoft.org/rocksndiamonds/levels.html
Mark

Post by Mark »

Wow. Thats neat! That Alan guy sure made a lot of animations for the ant.
The Emerald King