What is the best way to make each level other color?

Discussion about Rocks'n'Diamonds, Boulder Dash, Supaplex, Emerald Mine and any other BD hybrid.

Moderators: Flumminator, Zomis

Timo3681

What is the best way to make each level other color?

Post by Timo3681 »

I want make each level other color, same color is boring. How can i make other color for each level? With Adobe Photoshop takes too long.
Holger
Site Admin

Re: What is the best way to make each level other color?

Post by Holger »

You're probably thinking about the dynamically changed colors in classic Boulderdash games/levels. Here it was easy, because classic BD on the C64, for example, only used a few different colors, so changing colors was only a matter of defining an alternative color palette and using a few different sets of colors then.

As R'n'D does not use graphics with color palette with only a few colors anymore (even though the classic R'n'D graphics indeed are based on Amiga graphics that originally used a color palette with 32/64 colors (EHB mode)), this cannot easily be done on R'n'D. Instead, there either have to be different graphics sets defined (but then only work for a whole set), or the game elements that should be used in the level set have to be created by custom elements, which then could be cloned and defined to use a differently colored graphic. That way, it would be possible to create a level set where the (apparently) same game elements change their color from level to level.