Windows 7 compatible?

Discussion about Rocks'n'Diamonds, Boulder Dash, Supaplex, Emerald Mine and any other BD hybrid.

Moderators: Flumminator, Zomis

RAP

Windows 7 compatible?

Post by RAP »

Just a curious question I asked above. You see, I currently have a Windows 7 OS, under the HP brand. My family bought it for me in Black Friday to replace the old computer that I previously used... and I'm asking asking this question: Is it fully compatible?

Is Window 7 just an expansion of Windows Vista?
Sigma

Re: Windows 7 compatible?

Post by Sigma »

RAP wrote:Is Window 7 just an expansion of Windows Vista?
Technically, Windows 7 uses the same kernel as Windows Vista (so Windows 7 can use Vista's drivers, for example). Beyond that, there's a UI change, extra stuff, etc. But I'm sure you know all that having used it yourself.

I had no issues playing RnD 3.6.2.1 on the x86 Windows 7 beta or RC, and I have had no issues using it on Windows 7 x64.
However, if you like, I will check Daniel's bug report on Windows 7 first (his post does thet he doesn't experience the issues on Windows 7 btw). Also, another game that also uses the SDL library had issues on Windows 7 (but not Windows Vista)... but I've no issues with RnD yet.

Best way to find out is probably to try it! :)
RAP

Post by RAP »

I played a bit, and when I started the game -- something happened. At first, I understand that I'm going into full screen, but instead, even under the smaller resolution I saw my whole sized down. The only way I have to fix is click the R'n'D tab to solve the program (So I can play the game without fullscreen). Oh, and if you want to you, I did a clean install to my new computer.

Second of all, during gameplay -- I actually remembered that the scrolling was very smooth... or was it my eyes that is tricking me? X3 But instead, I felt that the screen studded via scrolling bit by bit. Maybe it's my new computer (64bit operating system), the monitor, or that I'm playing the special JUE version 3.2.6.1. :p This also applies when I tried scrolling around the level within the level editor (with the keyboard), but it scrolls smooth on vertical compared to horizontally.

If those two problems are fixed, Windows 7 users will not have a troublesome time playing RnD. I'll list more problems if it is related to using this new OS. :3
Sigma

Post by Sigma »

RAP wrote:Second of all, during gameplay -- I actually remembered that the scrolling was very smooth... or was it my eyes that is tricking me? X3 But instead, I felt that the screen studded via scrolling bit by bit. Maybe it's my new computer (64bit operating system), the monitor, or that I'm playing the special JUE version 3.2.6.1. :p This also applies when I tried scrolling around the level within the level editor (with the keyboard), but it scrolls smooth on vertical compared to horizontally.
I did a clean install too :). x86 can't upgrade to x64...

However, the second paragraph on slowdowns - the other game I was talking about had the same problem. However, for said other game, fullscreen mode ran fine and windowed had issues.

Edit: I spent some time playing tutorial levels and BD2K3, in fullscreen and windowed mode and had no problems with levels or the editor.
Holger
Site Admin

Post by Holger »

The Windows version of R'n'D is a win32 executable, so it should also run on Windows 7. (So far, I have neither Windows Vista nor Windows 7 for testing available, but only Windows XP.)

About scrolling: Do you mean flickering while scrolling, or do you mean bumpy scrolling instead of smooth scrolling? (BTW: Does you new computer has a TFT monitor, while your old one has a CRT one? Just an idea...)
RAP

Post by RAP »

I'm using the HP widescreen monitor that I also used for my other old computer (after the old monitor started screwing up). I think it's either that the monitor's age -- with the lining being wavy, but most likely not affecting how scrolling vertically would work.

I'll check the monitor after I come back from school... shh!
Sigma

Post by Sigma »

RAP wrote:I'm using the HP widescreen monitor that I also used for my other old computer (after the old monitor started screwing up). I think it's either that the monitor's age -- with the lining being wavy, but most likely not affecting how scrolling vertically would work.

I'll check the monitor after I come back from school... shh!
If you have more than one monitor, try checking the screen with both. If both have the same problem, this may be an issue with the graphics card.
My old NVidia graphics card had an issue where the 'vertical' lines on the screen went all wavy. It even happened on CRT and LCD monitors.
RAP

Post by RAP »

Ah. I do have a NVidia graphics card. Maybe that's the case? But anyway -- recently, I found out that part of the screen went more smoothy because of the YouTube videos that I'm playing right now, this type of music that I like: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O0mP-W3DaJI&fmt=18

While the other side retained it's smooth-ness, the other half didn't. This is only when I'm playing the "video". Oh, and my HP monitor is HP w1907. My screen size is 1440x900 with 60Hz, STMV1.4.