Using CEs to recreate object elements...?

Discussion about Rocks'n'Diamonds, Boulder Dash, Supaplex, Emerald Mine and any other BD hybrid.

Moderators: Flumminator, Zomis

RAP

Using CEs to recreate object elements...?

Post by RAP »

Just the other day when I became a bit interested once again in this very creative game, RnD, I was thinking about this for a moment or two. A simple question that can open up an answer... and also open up other questions as well... Can every, I mean, every interactive element convert into CEs? Most of them; yes. But by "most" of them, what do I mean?

I would like to point out some of the things that may be missing or may be impossible to create using CEs:

Speed of the chain-explosion
As you may or may not know, there is an element that has that special feature, the Black Orb Bomb. I don't there there is a feature that has to do with changing the chain-explosion speed. :(

Dragon... properties?
The dragon's main feature is that it breathes fire, yes, that. But what I want to know is how can this be recreated? It's more like this: flame 1, flame 2, and flame 3 instantly from the mouth of the dragon. But trying to use CEs with the dragon and three flames, it's flame 1, per frame, flame 2, per frame and so on. Another problem, if the player gets in the way of the flame, does it kill the player because of the CE properties trying to recreate the flame in a harsh way, or simply blocks it unlike the normal properties (as in flame 1, player, flame 3; regardless of the player blocking the flame)? I think this one may not be recreated at all...

Gravity trigger
If you guess what it is, it's the gravity ports that trigger the player to either fall onto the ground, or stay afloating as if your standing on the “floor” (the empty space). There should be an trigger effect for this, in the action box in the change section.

Maybe I am being too harsh on the elements... mostly because of how the objects are distinctive from ever being created. Especially the dragon, ;o Sure, the RnD elements may be stuck in the game editor forever and ever; but the CEs I had to admit are exceptionally flexible. You can transfer your own creative elements into another levelset and place it there like it's for the stuffing. You can add content and stuff. Somehow, I think this topic is suddenly turning to some CE ideas page, or maybe an ideas revival page that some people may have missed. So... I have no idea where to put this topic... General Discussion, or New Ideas. Your call...
Davacardo

Post by Davacardo »

I must admit, I've wondered the same thing too!

You can recreate the speed of Black Orb Bombs by changing the Ignition delay of a CE to 1 (in config page 2).

You might be able to recreate a gravity port by setting a CE to Passable/Over/whichever direction you want it to face (in config page 1). Then in the Change page, tick the last box and change "No action" to "Set gravity" / = / on, off or toggle (depending on what you want).

I wonder if it's possible to recreate wheels, amoeba, penguins and dynabombs.
Rockford4ever

Post by Rockford4ever »

Just a thought, is it even possible to create the most common object of them all - empty space - as a CE? I mean, to have a CE that you can walk over and everything else can just pass through would be a good idea when you think about it.
Current project:
Nope.
Daniel H.

Post by Daniel H. »

That would be nice. :)

It would be difficult to implement, though, because then if another element existed over the "empty space" element, there would be two elements in one position, which is not allowed. :|
The H. World levelset can be downloaded from http://www.bd-fans.com/RnD.html -- search The H. World on that page.
RAP

Post by RAP »

*adds in another entry in the topic... :P*

Conveyor belts and their switches
Basically, from what I see -- you use the switches to make the conveyor belts move gravity-influenced objects left or right. But, within the functions of CEs -- there is no current function that states that the CE wants to make the object move right or left if they are on the CE.
Sascha

Post by Sascha »

Don't forget the empty space: That's an element that you can't recreate as well because rocks would never fall through an element!